[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama gives GM another $4 billion

Jimmy Neutron

"President Obama will release $4 billion more in loans to keep GM afloat"

well there you go, from your CNN link. you must really suck at the google.

:D - You two have some of the funniest arguments. Are you married?

my reply was about why they were getting more money...never put two thoughts into who was giving it to them..they are getting it so does it really matter :wacko:

Bingo - they're getting "an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."

With apologies to Ayn Rand at the parsing of her quote.

my reply was about why they were getting more money...never put two thoughts into who was giving it to them..they are getting it so does it really matter :wacko:

Only if the thread is titled "Obama gives GM another $4 billion"

If it really doesn't matter and someone wants to go ahead and rename this thread "GM gets $4 billion that Bush promised them", then that will be a perfectly acceptable and more factually accurate thread title... then you can go about your business.

But I think we all know that the intention of this thread was to point blame, regardless of your response to it.

If it really doesn't matter and someone wants to go ahead and rename this thread "GM gets $4 billion that Bush promised them", then that will be a perfectly acceptable and more factually accurate thread title... then you can go about your business.

But I think we all know that the intention of this thread was to point blame, regardless of your response to it.

Obama isn't giving it to them, and neither is Bush, it is those of us that pay taxes that are giving it to them, and we all should be pissed about it.

but the thing is I guess I skim to much because I honestly didnt even notice Obama in the thread title...I honestly didnt even realize that was why you were questioning it....but I do see your point....on another note...I know there are those that voted for Obama and will say he can do no wrong...those that voted for him and are now possibly regretting it...and those that didnt vote for him and are waiting or have been saying look at him F'ng up etc....the thing is if anyone expects that Obama OR ANYONE ELSE could turn around the mess we are in overnite then they are sadly mistaken...we didn't get here in the blink of an eye and to think we will get out of it quickly or without errors is just being well I guess insane, stupid or whatever other word you want to use to describe it.

disclaimer: I did not vote for Obama or McCain but I do know that I believe the worst is still yet to come and that wouldn't have mattered if McCain or anyone else would have won.

"GM gets $4 billion that Bush promised them"

sure that's accurate. it's also accurate that obama is giving it to them today.

of course, big picture....sure bush went along with the auto bailout. where was the pressure to do so coming from? congress and the president-elect. obama has been pushing for the auto bailout from day one. and they're back in washington asking for more, and I'm betting obama is going to give it to them. "that's great, you guys saved a couple hundred thousand by not plowing the roof of your parking garage, and you sold a couple million worth of artwork....sounds like a plan to me, here's $20 billion more" :wacko:

where was the pressure to do so coming from? congress and the president-elect.

What a crock. If you think Bush decided to do anything at all because Congress and Obama were nagging him, you're living in a fantasy land. Does that even sound plausible to you? Really?

What a crock. If you think Bush decided to do anything at all because Congress and Obama were nagging him, you're living in a fantasy land. Does that even sound plausible to you? Really?

Of course it sounds plausible to him. It's what Rush said. :wacko:

Edited by cre8tiff

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp (NYSE:GM - News) said on Tuesday it could need a total of up to $30 billion in U.S. government aid -- more than doubling its original aid -- and would run out of cash as soon as March without new federal funding.

just take this f'ing company out back and shoot it already!!!!

:wacko:

Nov. 13 (Bloomberg) -- President-elect Barack Obama is pushing Congress this year to approve as much as $50 billion to save cash-starved U.S. automakers and appoint a czar or board to oversee the companies, a move that would require President George W. Bush's support, people familiar with the matter said.

Obama's economic advisers are now convinced that if General Motors Corp. doesn't get a financial lifeline soon, it will have to file for bankruptcy by the end of January. And if the companies don't get almost $50 billion, Obama will be dealing with the issue again by next summer.

Any czar or board would be patterned after the bailout of Chrysler in 1979 and New York City in 1975. Advisers such as former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker and former Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers are said to be telling Obama that the cash is urgently needed now.

Congress would have to act in a lame-duck session that begins next week. Obama would need Bush's backing to pass such a sweeping and costly measure in part because Democrats don't have enough votes to force a floor vote or override a veto. Obama also would need strong support from auto-producing states such as Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin to pass such a sweeping and costly measure.

Yet to be determined is whether most of the money would be drawn from the $700 billion financial rescue package Congress passed last month or from newly allocated funds.

Obama's Exception

By injecting himself into the talks about how to save General Motors, Obama is making an exception to his decision to steer clear of policy-making until he takes office.

Obama, an Illinois senator, pressed Bush on the urgency of an assistance package during their Nov. 10 meeting at the White House, Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters this week.

so bush basically said, OK if you want this so bad and something has to be done right now, y'all did with the election, so I'll punt this to you by giving them a fraction of what they need to stay afloat and you can give them the rest in feburary yourself. I really wish bush would have showed a spine told them to f off. but there is no question this is something the democrats wanted that he went along with, and not something that was his idea.

Edited by Azazello1313

:wacko:

so bush basically said, OK if you want this so bad and something has to be done right now, y'all did with the election, so I'll punt this to you by giving them a fraction of what they need to stay afloat and you can give them the rest in feburary yourself. I really wish bush would have showed a spine told them to f off. but there is no question this is something the democrats wanted that he went along with, and not something that was his idea.

Yeah, that sounds just like Bush. Congress couldn't pass the bill on their so he did it on his own because of pressure from liberals in Congress. It's so crazy it must be true.

Edited by AtomicCEO