[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Renting an RV

Fatman

Some buddies and I are thinking of renting an RV to drive to a friend's wedding this summer in Iowa. Anyone have experience renting an RV? Looks like it will cost about $1200 + gas.

I might have a contact with some info so I will check with them and get back to you

I've looked into renting one, but every place I want to take one is beyond the standard range. One they start charging you for miles they get prohibitively expensive. Otherwise, I would have done it llong ago for Penn State games.

We've RVed for weeks around most of the midwest and Rockies and just finished a three week RV trip in New Zealand. To me it's an ideal vacation but I'd never own one or rent close to home. We prefer to fly somewhere, pick up the RV, drop it off when we're done and fly back. Some RV firms allow dropoff to be somewhere different to pickup, handy for RVing all the way down the Pacific coast, for example.

We've RVed for weeks around most of the midwest and Rockies and just finished a three week RV trip in New Zealand. To me it's an ideal vacation but I'd never own one or rent close to home. We prefer to fly somewhere, pick up the RV, drop it off when we're done and fly back. Some RV firms allow dropoff to be somewhere different to pickup, handy for RVing all the way down the Pacific coast, for example.

I soooooooo want to do this. I also want to fly out to somewhere like SLC, Vegas, Cheyenne or Billings and RV that whole freakin' area.

I soooooooo want to do this. I also want to fly out to somewhere like SLC, Vegas, Cheyenne or Billings and RV that whole freakin' area.

Back in '96, we (me, wife and kids) RVed from SLC up to Yellowstone, down across Wyoming from Cody to Laramie, across Colorado through Steamboat Springs, back into Utah, down into Arizona via the Grand Canyon and finished up in Vegas. Two weeks of absolute heaven, visiting a ton of places along the way. Absolutely freakin' awesome.

i drove up a good portion of the PCH and some of it was scary as hell in a midsize sedan...in an RV it would have been :wacko:

i drove up a good portion of the PCH and some of it was scary as hell in a midsize sedan...in an RV it would have been :wacko:

The piece just north and west of San Fran would be impossible in an RV, certainly at night in fog which it was when I drove it last year.

Back in '96, we (me, wife and kids) RVed from SLC up to Yellowstone, down across Wyoming from Cody to Laramie, across Colorado through Steamboat Springs, back into Utah, down into Arizona via the Grand Canyon and finished up in Vegas. Two weeks of absolute heaven, visiting a ton of places along the way. Absolutely freakin' awesome.

PM me details? Itinerary, costs, whatever? Pretty please?

that is the part i was on (just north of SF)

One road in Dunedin, NZ was worse but that SF road was the worst I've driven here by far. Some guy going the other way went over the edge through the fence. Lucky hm - his car only dropped two feet off the road. Could have been 200 feet further along.

I was getting about 12 to 14 from a Tioga Arrow. That was long, steady driving though.

Really depends on if she's loaded up or not, I mean 40 gallons of water and 75 gallons of fuel and full cargo will add quite a bit of weight which will hurt your fuel economy.

Really depends on if she's loaded up or not, I mean 40 gallons of water and 75 gallons of fuel and full cargo will add quite a bit of weight which will hurt your fuel economy.

Drove a total of 3,000 miles so sometimes it was full, other times less so, obviously. After a scare in Idaho where we nearly ran out of gas, I never let it get below half-full.