[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dow over 7K...

cre8tiff

The fact is that most people that invest in the market tend to lose money. The market goes down, they get a little shy and shift out of stocks. Market goes up and they get a little excited about it and move into stocks at a higher point. I have seen 0% support about investing in stocks right now but I think it's a good time. There's no law that says you have to ride the market into the ground and if you don't do so, you are doing it wrong. Why would you want to lose money when you know that is exactly what you are going to do?

You don't have to know where the bottom is you start investing again. Just put a few shares back at some low points along the way here and there. I always put new money (contributions) into the market regardless of price. I never change those allocations.

Doesn't anyone watch Jon Stewart interviewing Jim Cramer and realize the big players manipulate the market for their own gain and the little guy doesn't stand a chance?

CNBC should be showing a craps table where only the guy rolling the dice tells you what he rolled. :wacko:

Doesn't anyone watch Jon Stewart interviewing Jim Cramer and realize the big players manipulate the market for their own gain and the little guy doesn't stand a chance?

CNBC should be showing a craps table where only the guy rolling the dice tells you what he rolled. :wacko:

this happens in every facet of life. so what do we do? gotta get in to win!!!

this happens in every facet of life. so what do we do? gotta get in to win!!!

Add to the fact that the Federal Government and the Federal Reserve are working very, very, very, very hard to make your money worth 50% of what it was every 10 years or so (thanks to the Ponzi schemes of trying to keep Social Security and such afloat) and you wonder why you save at all. First, you have to beat the crooked market, then you have to beat your own Government to come out ahead nowadays. Tough thing to do.

Isn't throwing your own feces at the wall and hoping it sticks more productive than battling the forces aligned against you?

Edited by TimC

Add to the fact that the Federal Government and the Federal Reserve are working very, very, very, very hard to make your money worth 50% of what it was every 10 years or so (thanks to the Ponzi schemes of trying to keep Social Security and such afloat) and you wonder why you save at all. First, you have to beat the crooked market, then you have to beat your own Government to come out ahead nowadays. Tough thing to do.

Isn't throwing your own feces at the wall and hoping it sticks more productive than battling the forces aligned against you?

Hmm Social Security as a Ponzi Scheme? Given my limited knowlege, there DOES seem to be parallels... :wacko:

this might be one of the few times that I agree with TimC :wacko::D:D:D:D:2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents:

Hmm Social Security as a Ponzi Scheme? Given my limited knowlege, there DOES seem to be parallels... :wacko:

It's a combination Ponzi scheme and lottery. The Government is gambling you don't live long enough to see a penny of it. If you happen to score the right DNA, congratulations!! Otherwise, it sucks to be you after being forced to pay into your whole life.

Of course, the scheme Roosevelt created never envisioned nearly everyone living past 55 years old nowadays. :D

It's a combination Ponzi scheme and lottery. The Government is gambling you don't live long enough to see a penny of it. If you happen to score the right DNA, congratulations!! Otherwise, it sucks to be you after being forced to pay into your whole life.

Of course, the scheme Roosevelt created never envisioned nearly everyone living past 55 years old nowadays. :wacko:

exactly, we're playing a game of monopoly when someone else owns the entire game....

I don't even own the house that I live in....even though my name is on the Mortgage.....

Edited by Avernus

It absolutely is. I get a kick out of the news salivating over Madoff being this terrible criminal and "creator of the biggest ponzi scheme in history". They need to look at FDR and stick his ass with that label.

It absolutely is. I get a kick out of the news salivating over Madoff being this terrible criminal and "creator of the biggest ponzi scheme in history". They need to look at FDR and stick his ass with that label.

No it isn't. It simply needs some changes made and it will work pretty much forever. Furthermore, the amount we pay in bi-weekly would drop too. I've reiterated those changes several times here.

There's a whole lot of little guys with 401k money waiting to put it back in the market. There's a whole bunch of mutual fund advisors with a ****load of dough waiting to happen.

No it isn't. It simply needs some changes made and it will work pretty much forever. Furthermore, the amount we pay in bi-weekly would drop too. I've reiterated those changes several times here.

Your changes would take it from being a ponzi scheme (which it IS now - people on the bottom of the pyramid supporting those on the top) to a welfare program. That would make a paradigm shift in the whole thing and then it wouldn't be a ponzi scheme.

I disagree with that in principle - those who make good decisions will be forced to pay for those who didn't, just like the current housing bailout scheme - but that's a matter of political difference of opinion. The fact of the matter is that it's currently structured as a pyramid/ponzi scheme.