[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any diabetics out there?

Jimmy Neutron

I wasd formally diagnosed today. Crap. :wacko: A1C number of 8.5 and high cholesterol to boot.

I guess all that clean living really paid off! :D

I was a ticking time bomb, I guess. Diabetes runs on both sides of my family. Still, 37 years old. :D

If any of your folks struggle with this affliction, what the hell do you eat? Most of the food I eat that's low in fat and carbs is high in sodium, which is another :D for me, as high blood pressure also runs in the family.

Any help is greatly appreciated - TIA. :D

I wasd formally diagnosed today. Crap. :wacko: A1C number of 8.5 and high cholesterol to boot.

I guess all that clean living really paid off! :D

I was a ticking time bomb, I guess. Diabetes runs on both sides of my family. Still, 37 years old. :D

If any of your folks struggle with this affliction, what the hell do you eat? Most of the food I eat that's low in fat and carbs is high in sodium, which is another :D for me, as high blood pressure also runs in the family.

Any help is greatly appreciated - TIA. :D

It runs in my family too. BUT... my sister was diagnosed with it. I had never heard of this before, but she REALLY went disciplinarian on her diet. NO exceptions. 12 months later, the doctors told her she was no longer diabetic! No meds, just diet and excersize. She lost significant weight, never ate anything not on her diet plan, and 4 years later, her sugar is still normal. Once she got stabilized, she can have a beer or two, a potato now and again, but she still watches her diet closely.

NO sweets, no carbs, no alchohol. That's pretty much the diet. Low salt, no soda pop, no OJ, things like that. Very much like the Atkins diet.

Good luck... and it isn't irreversable, something i did not know umtil 4 years ago.

It runs in my family too. BUT... my sister was diagnosed with it. I had never heard of this before, but she REALLY went disciplinarian on her diet. NO exceptions. 12 months later, the doctors told her she was no longer diabetic! No meds, just diet and excersize. She lost significant weight, never ate anything not on her diet plan, and 4 years later, her sugar is still normal. Once she got stabilized, she can have a beer or two, a potato now and again, but she still watches her diet closely.

NO sweets, no carbs, no alchohol. That's pretty much the diet. Low salt, no soda pop, no OJ, things like that. Very much like the Atkins diet.

Good luck... and it isn't irreversable, something i did not know umtil 4 years ago.

I've heard the same thing about some individuals. Gonna give it the college try!

I've heard the same thing about some individuals. Gonna give it the college try!

Just spoke with my sis... she was in fact on some meds for about a year. But, she still recovered and is no longer diabetic. No meds now either. The thing is... how motivated are you, and how bad do you want to beat it? If you play like Joe Klecko, you can beat it.

I am quiting smokong on Monday. 3 packs a day. I'm motivated, and I'm gonna make Joe Klecko look like a slacker. How bad ya want it? How much do you want to avoid syringes? BE Joe Klecko! I'm Joe Klecko! The world needs more Joe Kleckos!

Seriously, good luck.

Just spoke with my sis... she was in fact on some meds for about a year. But, she still recovered and is no longer diabetic. No meds now either. The thing is... how motivated are you, and how bad do you want to beat it? If you play like Joe Klecko, you can beat it.

I am quiting smokong on Monday. 3 packs a day. I'm motivated, and I'm gonna make Joe Klecko look like a slacker. How bad ya want it? How much do you want to avoid syringes? BE Joe Klecko! I'm Joe Klecko! The world needs more Joe Kleckos!

Seriously, good luck.

Well I'm Teddy effing Bruski. Take that.

Seriously, good luck.

:wacko:

You too, man. :D

Just got back from visiting my father in the convalescent center where he's rehabbing after surgery he had last week to put an artificial artery into his left leg in order to improve the circulation to his foot so he can walk pain free (he has not been able to for some time). If this doesn't work, they're cutting it off.

Take your diabetes seriously. :wacko:

Diagnosed 8 years ago w/ Type II. Let it get away from me to the point I now take a pill & shot/day. Easy on everything. Readings every 4 months are very good.

Jump on it now, and I would say you have a good "shot" @ just doing what your doing w/ a pill or 2/day.

I just got diagnosed a few weeks ago. 30 years old, almost no family history. I have an appointment to see a nutritionist in a week or so, if they deliver any ground breaking news I'll throw it up here.

Doctor just told me to limit my rice, potatoes, bread and pasta. Seriously that was all I ate in any given day. :wacko:

I'm on a daily med, but my fiance is super supportive, I hope I can knock off a few pounds, actually about 80 or so (5'7" - 260lbs) and get it under control.

I've got some diabetes cookbooks on hold at the library, and hopefully they can introduce into some new favorite foods. :D

-DD21

Wow....best of luck to you. If you need any reason to be motivated, just let me know as I have some real horror stories about my father who is type 1.

It seems that the diet thing is really to lower various kinds of foods. For example, it's not like you can't have any starch, it just means that you have to limit it quite a bit. As a type 2 I think you can even have some sugar, just limit it to very small amounts. A nutritionist is absolutely the best way to go to balance out everything and get a handle on it.

Good luck!!!

Type 2 (adult-onset). Type 1 is juvenile-onset diabetes and is much more difficult to treat.

Yeah I'm a shade tree diabetes expert. It runs rampant in my family and im prob next. Type II is nothing major if you learn to eat correctly and drink lots of water. I really think they are close to having a cure for it. Type I is a whole nother thing.

I just got diagnosed a few weeks ago. 30 years old, almost no family history. I have an appointment to see a nutritionist in a week or so, if they deliver any ground breaking news I'll throw it up here.

Doctor just told me to limit my rice, potatoes, bread and pasta. Seriously that was all I ate in any given day. :D

I'm on a daily med, but my fiance is super supportive, I hope I can knock off a few pounds, actually about 80 or so (5'7" - 260lbs) and get it under control.

I've got some diabetes cookbooks on hold at the library, and hopefully they can introduce into some new favorite foods. :D

-DD21

Good luck! :wacko:

I've got a date with a dietician early next week. I think I can sum up her advice in one sentence, "If it tastes good, don't eat it." :D

Good luck! :wacko:

I've got a date with a dietician early next week. I think I can sum up her advice in one sentence, "If it tastes good, don't eat it." :D

post ur diet and ill try to modify mine to match it some. I'm treating my genetic high risk with peanut M&M's, cherry sours, lack of aerobic exercsie, and high stress.

post ur diet and ill try to modify mine to match it some. I'm treating my genetic high risk with peanut M&M's, cherry sours, lack of aerobic exercsie, and high stress.

:DWill do. Maybe you can start by peeling the chocolate off your M&Ms. I'll have to. :wacko: Plain, unsalted peanuts are one of the few approved foods.

On the bright side, I have 30 lbs of beef marinating in the fridge going on the smoker tomorrow for jerky. The store bought stuff is way too high in sodium, so I'm makin' my own. With the wide variety of game you partake of, at least you can have your choice of jerkies! Opossum jerky... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Had a follow up today - A1C is down to 6.4 and dropped 10 lbs in 3 weeks. I pretty much rawk.

Doc said I'd likely not need meds more than 3 months if I keep my diet as is and hit/maintain my target weight. :wacko:

Edited by Jimmy Neutron