[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 5 RB's Right Now

Mr Hammock

This is all my opinion and I am not ranking these RB's in Fantasy Value, but instead actual skill.

Top 5 RB's Right Now

1. Adrian Peterson - The only thing standing in his way of becoming a top 10 RB of all-time will be staying healthy.

2. Chris Johnson - This may shock some people, but I have never seen a RB with this kind of Football Speed. He is unbelievably fast in the open field.

3. Michael Turner - Not only is he going to give you 100 yards a game, but he is very durable, and he is built to stay durable. He has a better chance of staying on top of his game over the next 4 to 8 years than rookie RB's will, coming out of the 2009 draft. Best vision of any RB in the NFL, right now.

4. DeAngelo Williams - Fun to watch and very productive on the field. Having Jonathan Stewart to split carries with will take the spotlight away from him some, but allow him to play much longer. This is probably the best RB duo in the NFL.

5. Thomas Jones - Chicago should have never let him go. He was a great fit there. He is working out Great in NY. He still has the wheels and is tough enough to give another very productive 3 to 4 years.

Most Overrated – Joseph Addai

Most Underrated – Steve Slaton

Most Likely to Have a Breakout Year – Felix Jones

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TJ number 5? Hardly... If you are talking about skill, and SJax isnt in there, the list has no credibility. That, of course, is just my opinion.

And where is Gore?

This post has no credibility but that's just my opinion. :wacko:

TJ number 5? Hardly... If you are talking about skill, and SJax isnt in there, the list has no credibility. That, of course, is just my opinion.

And where is Gore?

In my opinion Frank Gore and Steven Jackson have already peaked and will steadily decline over the next few years.

I think most people who still see Jackson and Gore as top 5 NFL RB’s are living in the 2006 season. Sometimes players have such great years that it’s hard to ever see them in any other way. This season (2009) will be three years removed and a lot has changed since then.

The hard reality in the NFL is that very few RB's come through the league who can stay healthy for 10-12 years. Most of them are finished within 4 or 5 years, even some of the very talented ones.

We have been blessed to see some of the Curtis Martin’s come through the league and give us over a decade of quality production and stability. Curtis Martin was underrated for years and once he was gone everyone realized he was a top 5 back during his entire career. Thomas Jones is that kind of RB.

So to answer your question – Hell Yeah! Thomas Jones is my #5. Thomas Jones is someone that you can build a successful team around. Too bad most of what he did last year was overshadowed by the Return of Brett Favre and too bad that he had to go through the Cedric Benson era in Chicago. It looks like he has finally found a home where he can finish his career at.

In my opinion Frank Gore and Steven Jackson have already peaked and will steadily decline over the next few years.

I think most people who still see Jackson and Gore as top 5 NFL RB’s are living in the 2006 season. Sometimes players have such great years that it’s hard to ever see them in any other way. This season (2009) will be three years removed and a lot has changed since then.

The hard reality in the NFL is that very few RB's come through the league who can stay healthy for 10-12 years. Most of them are finished within 4 or 5 years, even some of the very talented ones.

We have been blessed to see some of the Curtis Martin’s come through the league and give us over a decade of quality production and stability. Curtis Martin was underrated for years and once he was gone everyone realized he was a top 5 back during his entire career. Thomas Jones is that kind of RB.

So to answer your question – Hell Yeah! Thomas Jones is my #5. Thomas Jones is someone that you can build a successful team around. Too bad most of what he did last year was overshadowed by the Return of Brett Favre and too bad that he had to go through the Cedric Benson era in Chicago. It looks like he has finally found a home where he can finish his career at.

Nice response. :wacko:

While you might be right about both SJax and Gore not returning to their 2006 seasons, they are still, IMO at least, top 5 back both talent wise AND FF wise. Sjax, while maybe not repeating 2006, has shown that when he is healthy, he can pretty much do it all. He didnt have a bad year last year, but it was another injury season for him. Had he not been injured, and had even a half way decent OL, then it is of my opinion he would have been a top 3 back.

In regards to your response about SJax and Gore peaking after only havingf one good season, how can you put CJ in the top 5 list after only one season? I mean, he had one good season. Im not sure Im ready to label him top 5 after that, at least not in real football sense. Fantasy I can MAYBE see the argument, but overall? Still dont see either him or TJ.

To be fair you need to show what scoring system you are using. Steven Jackson is only 25.

As for Thomas Jones - having no QB's with any real starting experience is a real factor. Last year Favre started more games than all the Jets QB's have in their careers and Clemens may not be this years starter.

I'd like to know why you have him at 5 without knowing who the QB will be.

This post has no credibility but that's just my opinion. :wacko:

I have something for you... now where did it go? Oh here it is...

....................../´¯/)

....................,/¯../

.................../..../

............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸

........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

.........\.................'...../

..........''...\.......... _.·´

............\..............(

..............\.............\...

:D

:wacko: Jackson has peaked? He's in the prime of his career.

My top-5 RIGHT NOW:

1. Peterson

2. Jackson

3. Turner

4. Westbrook

5. Jacobs

Chris Johnson has to prove he can carry the full-load to be considered a top-5 NFL RB. He was barely the most productive RB on his team, which tells you more about his OL than him. He's fast enough to hit the smallest of holes, thats for sure.

Ditto for Williams....up until about Week 6 of last year, he was considered by most people as a guy who underachieved. After a tremendous 9-game stretch, he's now a top-5 RB? I don't buy it. I need to see it continue for another year before I appoint him one of the league's best. From a fantasy persepective, there is a great chance he is drafted well ahead of where he actually finishes the year, so I'll let someone else grab him.

I'd likely put Forte, and perhaps even Barber, in the mix before either of the above two when talking about the best all-around NFL RBs right now.

:D Jackson has peaked? He's in the prime of his career.

My top-5 RIGHT NOW:

1. Peterson

2. Jackson

3. Turner

4. Westbrook

5. Jacobs

Chris Johnson has to prove he can carry the full-load to be considered a top-5 NFL RB. He was barely the most productive RB on his team, which tells you more about his OL than him. He's fast enough to hit the smallest of holes, thats for sure.

Ditto for Williams....up until about Week 6 of last year, he was considered by most people as a guy who underachieved. After a tremendous 9-game stretch, he's now a top-5 RB? I don't buy it. I need to see it continue for another year before I appoint him one of the league's best. From a fantasy persepective, there is a great chance he is drafted well ahead of where he actually finishes the year, so I'll let someone else grab him.

I'd likely put Forte, and perhaps even Barber, in the mix before either of the above two when talking about the best all-around NFL RBs right now.

:wacko:

Nice response. :wacko:

While you might be right about both SJax and Gore not returning to their 2006 seasons, they are still, IMO at least, top 5 back both talent wise AND FF wise. Sjax, while maybe not repeating 2006, has shown that when he is healthy, he can pretty much do it all. He didnt have a bad year last year, but it was another injury season for him. Had he not been injured, and had even a half way decent OL, then it is of my opinion he would have been a top 3 back.

In regards to your response about SJax and Gore peaking after only havingf one good season, how can you put CJ in the top 5 list after only one season? I mean, he had one good season. Im not sure Im ready to label him top 5 after that, at least not in real football sense. Fantasy I can MAYBE see the argument, but overall? Still dont see either him or TJ.

I am talking about skill going into this year. Not past skill, but 2009 skill.

Yeah, it is the injuries that concern me most. Just look at Edgerrin before and after his injury. Edgerrin had to change his style of running to stay successful in the NFL by going from an elusive back to a rock solid power back. Very few RB’s in the history have been able to do this because of the physical pounding the body takes. Edgerrin was able to do this mostly because he has shorter legs than most RB’s his size which gives him better leverage than most RB’s.

My #2, Chris Johnson, does not have the style and talents that will keep him playing in the NFL for 10 years. More than likely he will be done is 5, unless he can find another way to be productive other than raw speed. But next year he could and will likely light the NFL on fire. But in my opinion it will be short lived. The window of greatness for a RB usually does not stay open for very long. Right now, I believe that he is the second most talented RB in the NFL.

To be fair you need to show what scoring system you are using. Steven Jackson is only 25.

As for Thomas Jones - having no QB's with any real starting experience is a real factor. Last year Favre started more games than all the Jets QB's have in their careers and Clemens may not be this years starter.

I'd like to know why you have him at 5 without knowing who the QB will be.

I am just talking about actual skill going into 2009.

Steven Jackson, in my opinion will not have the actual skill he had in 2006. He has been bitten by the injury bug for two years. They rarely ever come back from that and that is not just a matter of opinion. We can see that just by examining history.

Having no Quarterback is nothing new to Thomas Jones. He was in Chicago for 3 years and did just fine.

Thomas Jones is someone that you can build a successful team around.

Steven Jackson, in my opinion will not have the actual skill he had in 2006. He has been bitten by the injury bug for two years. They rarely ever come back from that and that is not just a matter of opinion. We can see that just by examining history.

You kind of contradict yourself with the above parts. Is it 2009 you are looking at, or are you talking talent to build around for the future?

Also, SJax didnt have a major injury. I believe it was a pulled hammy and a pulled quad. While very painful Im sure, Edge f-ed up his knee majorly. You cannot compare the 2 injuries. I believe Gore had a major injury in college and I think he has been doing pretty good.

Is this talent of fantasy? Talent NO WAY T Jones is top 5. He had one of the better O-Line in the league, and a QB like Favre to keep the pressure off of him. Fantasi I could see your view, but I would not agree.

SJ is by far better than Thomas Jones in just about everything.

Having no Quarterback is nothing new to Thomas Jones. He was in Chicago for 3 years and did just fine.

He hasn't had an offensive line. I understand the injury bug but you said skill. He's only 25 and you can see when he plays he still has skill.

He had a quad tear and until Ahman Green no player(I believe) ever came back from a quad tear.

I traded him away in 2 leagues last year so I have injury concerns, but thnk you're wrong when you say he doesn't have skill.

One I can see but think you are confusing the two issues.

It is hard to pick a top 5.

:wacko: Jackson has peaked? He's in the prime of his career.

My top-5 RIGHT NOW:

1. Peterson

2. Jackson

3. Turner

4. Westbrook

5. Jacobs

I can’t back you up on Jackson. I think he is declining and I think we will see this early and often this season.

How can you say that Chris Johnson was not the most productive RB on his team last year? Sure White had more TD’s but that is typical of a “Thunder and Lightning” RB combination. And actually he doesn’t have to prove that he can pull the full load, because it’s not asked of him. If he was an every down back then he would likely be finished in two years, however over those two years he would put up numbers that would contest for the rushing titles. This of course is just my opinion and the way I see it.

Player Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD

Chris Johnson 251 1228 4.9 66 9

LenDale White 200 773 3.9 80 15

On Williams, I believe we will see him continue to play at a high level. I agree that he could be drafted higher than where he finishes, but that has nothing to do with his skill. That has to do giving Stewart some touches and room to grow as well.

I am not sold on Forte 100% yet, but I would put him in my top 10 next year. There is definitely a reason to be optimistic about him.

Barber plays the game too hard and will not make it much longer if he continues to take every hit like it may be his last opportunity to carry the football. I am all for guys giving their all, however Barber is just a few hits away from being to RB’s what Bob Sanders is to S's. These types of players usually have very short careers.

Westbrook is getting older as well. Lot of hits to his body. The Eagles need to bring in a young back to split carries with Westbrook and I suspect they will be looking for a RB, very early in the draft. I would not be surprised if they used their number one on a back. Especially, if they pick up Marvin, which I think is a likely fit.

I had Brandon Jacobs at #6 so we are very close there.

Health concerns aside:

1. AP

2. Westbrook

3. Sjax

4. Barber

5. LT

I think LT still belongs here, after all, he only had 1 bad season.

Turner is too 1 dimensional to make it

Chris Johnson and Dwill need another good year to possibly crack this list.

If ole Fragile Fred was about 4 years younger, he'd make top 5. Dude had serious talent.

Thomas Jones is 31, S Jax 6 years younger yet you'd build a team around TJ?

Check this - that guy is DONE. This year will simply not be his best. he's had that year and is on the downside of his career.

It's not really six years when you look at how many carries they have. And it's my opinion that Thomas Jones body is setup to handle more carries than Steven Jackson. There is a difference of 725 carries between Jones and Jackson. Hardly six years worth.

I would build a team around him right now. If I were running the Jets, I would make running the ball my focus and protect my quarterback. It wouldn’t be fun or exciting for the fans, but it’s the way to do it until you find the right QB. You could get 3 or 4 years out of Jones, which is more than you will get out of some rookies who get drafted next month. Jones is proven and battle tested.

You kind of contradict yourself with the above parts. Is it 2009 you are looking at, or are you talking talent to build around for the future?

Also, SJax didnt have a major injury. I believe it was a pulled hammy and a pulled quad. While very painful Im sure, Edge f-ed up his knee majorly. You cannot compare the 2 injuries. I believe Gore had a major injury in college and I think he has been doing pretty good.

I don’t follow you on how I contradicted myself - The 2009 season is the future. I added in the build the team around, because I think last year Favre got too much credit and Thomas Jones didn’t get enough. I actually saw last year playing out where Thomas Jones was making Brett look better than he should have. That’s just my opinion. And I haven’t seen anything that would make me think that Jones can’t finish right where he left off in 2008. He doesn’t have an overwhelming number of carries for a 31 year old back and he has been pretty durable. This is why I gave him the Curtis Martin comparison. In a lot of ways they are very similar.

Steven Jackson has only started 18 games in the past 2 years. And this is because of injury/s. In my opinion, that is very serious and something to be very concerned about.

Edited by Mr Hammock

He hasn't had an offensive line. I understand the injury bug but you said skill. He's only 25 and you can see when he plays he still has skill.

He had a quad tear and until Ahman Green no player(I believe) ever came back from a quad tear.

I traded him away in 2 leagues last year so I have injury concerns, but thnk you're wrong when you say he doesn't have skill.

One I can see but think you are confusing the two issues.

It is hard to pick a top 5.

Steven Jackson didn't look like the same player to me last year. I just can't give him a free pass because of what he has done in the past.

Thomas Jones kind of reminds me of Eddie George. Both tough, durable, work-horse types of backs who seem to fly somewhat under the radar for lack of brilliance. Still not sure I would count him as a top 5 RB in terms of talent for the coming year. He is over 30 and can't escape Father Time.