[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 5 RB's Right Now

Mr Hammock

Thomas Jones kind of reminds me of Eddie George. Both tough, durable, work-horse types of backs who seem to fly somewhat under the radar for lack of brilliance. Still not sure I would count him as a top 5 RB in terms of talent for the coming year. He is over 30 and can't escape Father Time.

And when George turned 31 he went from 1000 yards to 400+. Very few RB's over 31 do well. Tiki and Curtis Martin are the only 2 I know of that finished in the top 5.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And when George turned 31 he went from 1000 yards to 400+. Very few RB's over 31 do well. Tiki and Curtis Martin are the only 2 I know of that finished in the top 5.

Not that anyone cares, but my top 5 FOR NEXT YEAR ALONE would be:

1. Adrian Petersen

2. Michael Turner

3. Brian Westbrook

4. LaDaniaTomlinson

5. Chris Johnson

1 and 2 are givens. I think Westbrook has one mmore top year left in him, especially if Philly gets Boldin or Edwards to takesome 8 mna fronts away from Westbrook. As for Tomlinson, SD will run him into the ground this year and will give him 280-310 carries. With better passing game, h will have a rebound year, but only for next year. after that, he is gone from SD and will be in a time share somewhere else. I am a firm beleiver that Johnson will tae control of the Tennessee backfild this year and will see even more passes come his way. He will also get more goalline carries. 15 TDs is not out of the realm of possibilities this year for him.

Just my opiniion.

It's not really six years when you look at how many carries they have. And it's my opinion that Thomas Jones body is setup to handle more carries than Steven Jackson. There is a difference of 725 carries between Jones and Jackson. Hardly six years worth.

I would build a team around him right now. If I were running the Jets, I would make running the ball my focus and protect my quarterback. It wouldn’t be fun or exciting for the fans, but it’s the way to do it until you find the right QB. You could get 3 or 4 years out of Jones, which is more than you will get out of some rookies who get drafted next month. Jones is proven and battle tested.

He's 31. You clearly are not.

Those of us who are older than 31 know you speak folly. My sore ass back backs me up. :wacko: I'll stand by what I said before: TJ's best year is BEHIND HIM.

Edited by Pope Flick

I can't see how Thomas Jones can be in the top 5 but one name I haven't seen in the top 5 is MJD. I know Jacksonville has some questions on the o-line but the guy is gonna be a beast next year IMO.

He's 31. You clearly are not.

Those of us who are older than 31 know you speak folly. My sore ass back backs me up. :wacko: I'll stand by what I said before: TJ's best year is BEHIND HIM.

I am older than 31 and I am just teeing off! :D

You have your opinion and I have mine. I do hope this thread doesn't get purged so we can bring it back up to the top when the season starts.

Edited by Mr Hammock

Considering that most reasonable humans view Peterson as the best back in the game right now, yeah , I think it's interesting. Care to explain why you think he isn't?

Because Michael Turner is a monster in the redzone and put up 17 touchdowns in addition to his 1700 yards of offense, and I think the Falcons will continue to get better this year, where as the Vikings have some issues on the line that need to be addressed. I like Turners game more that Peterson.

3. Michael Turner - Not only is he going to give you 100 yards a game, but he is very durable, and he is built to stay durable. He has a better chance of staying on top of his game over the next 4 to 8 years than rookie RB's will, coming out of the 2009 draft. Best vision of any RB in the NFL, right now.

Turner is older than most people think. He's 27 now. I can't see 4 to 8 more years out of him.

He excels against weaker defenses and struggles against good ones. He's a huge sell in dynasty leagues right now. IMO

5. Thomas Jones - Chicago should have never let him go. He was a great fit there. He is working out Great in NY. He still has the wheels and is tough enough to give another very productive 3 to 4 years.

3-4 more years? You really think Thomas Jones will be uber-productive when he's 35? thats a gamble that I would not be willing to take

Matt Forte :wacko:

Why? He led the league in RB pass receptions, had a monster year on the ground, and is the goal-line back with an excellent nose for the endzone. Not sure what more you could ask for when defining the top all-around RBs?

Westbrook is getting older as well. Lot of hits to his body. The Eagles need to bring in a young back to split carries with Westbrook and I suspect they will be looking for a RB, very early in the draft. I would not be surprised if they used their number one on a back. Especially, if they pick up Marvin, which I think is a likely fit.

We are talking about the best RBs "right now", as defined by skill and ability in all facets of the RB position.

I agree the Eagles will be looking for the heir-apparent to Westbrook in the next season or two....but that has nothing to do with "right now".Right now, Westbrook is easily a Top-5 RB, and likely a Top-2 or3.

As an Eagle homer, don't let last season fool you into thinking Westbrook has lost a step. Both Runyan and Thomas could no longer run-block...their each have lost a step, and could no longer get out on LBs when they were pulling in either direction. Largely why both were let go. The OL was also without All-pro Shawn Andrews the entire season. This year, they get Andrews back, and added his Pro-Bowler brother to the mix. They will run the ball much much much more effectively than they did last year.

Because Michael Turner is a monster in the redzone and put up 17 touchdowns in addition to his 1700 yards of offense, and I think the Falcons will continue to get better this year, where as the Vikings have some issues on the line that need to be addressed. I like Turners game more that Peterson.

Fair enough but as far as skill and ability right now I'd have to put Peterson #1.

So you think MJD has more value in a non-PPR league? I'm really scratching my head on that one.

Fantasy wise, here's my Top 5 for 2009

PPR leagues

1. ADP

2. B. Westbrook

3. L. Tomlinson

4. S. Jackson

5. M. Forte / CJ3

Non - PPR leagues

1. ADP

2. M. Turner

3. B. Jacobs

4. D. Williams

5. MJD

Here's my top 5 talent wise

1.ADP

2.S-Jax

3.Westbrook

4.MJD

5.LT

Here's my top 5 fantasy wise for 09 (PPR, since that's all I play)

1.ADP (I just think he's the safest bet of all RB's next year. Every other RB has big question marks, IMO).

2.MJD (If they don't draft a back he will give ADP a run for top fantasy performer)

3.S-Jax (I think he approaches 06 numbers if he can remain healthy)

4.LT (I think he will be a great value at the end of the first begining of the second this year)

5.Chris Johnson (I see him being allot more involved in the passing game in his 2nd year)

Mr.Hammock? Where art thou? Don't tell me we chased him off so soon. He actually had some good posts. Not enough skin on the sack?

I dont think it is the quantity of skin on the sack. I think it is more of a thickness issue. He just doesnt have thick skin around his sack...

:wacko:

I dont think it is the quantity of skin on the sack. I think it is more of a thickness issue. He just doesnt have thick skin around his sack...

:wacko:

That would suck in so many ways. I think he's here lurking.

Dude!! Come back!! Your posts added some intellect....your enthusiasm is what we love here (listen to me lol) and .......

Well I'll save that for last.

Why? He led the league in RB pass receptions, had a monster year on the ground, and is the goal-line back with an excellent nose for the endzone. Not sure what more you could ask for when defining the top all-around RBs?

Because the list was meant to be TALENT-wise.

FANTASY-wise he's top 5-10, because the number of carries he gets and the lack of talent in Chicago.

But he is not a top 5 TALENT RB. He averaged 3.9 yards per carry which puts him below the top 20.

Because the list was meant to be TALENT-wise.

FANTASY-wise he's top 5-10, because the number of carries he gets and the lack of talent in Chicago.

But he is not a top 5 TALENT RB. He averaged 3.9 yards per carry which puts him below the top 20.

Perhaps it is that lack of talent that led to his 3.9 YPC. Imagine if he had something resembling an offfensive line, a real QB and a decent set of WRs to open up the running game? Which part of his game don't you like?

You point to his YPC...I point to his overall rushing ability, receiving ability, his ability take punishment, his ability to find the endzone. He wasn't in my Top-5 either, but like I said, he's awfully close. You make it sound like he's, well, "below the Top 20", which is quasi-ludicrous.