[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Swiss' mock draft

Swiss Cheezhead

1. DET -- Stafford, Matthew

2. STL-- Smith, Jason

3. KCC -- Monroe, Eugene

4. BUF (via SEA) -- Smith, Andre

5. CLE -- Crabtree, Michael

6. CIN -- Orakpo, Brian

7. OAK -- Oher, Michael

8. JAC -- Curry, Aaron

9. DEN (via GBP) -- Sanchez, Mark

10. SFF -- Jenkins, Malcolm

11. SEA (via BUF) -- Moreno, Knowshon

12. GBP (via DEN) -- Jackson, Tyson

13. WAS -- Ayers, Robert

14. NOS -- Butler, Darius

15. HOU -- Matthews, Clay

16. SDC -- Raji, B.J.

17. NYJ -- Maclin, Jeremy

18. DEN -- Maybin, Aaron

19. TBB -- Cushing, Brian

20. ARI (via DET) -- Wells, Chris

21. PHI -- Pettigrew, Brandon

22. MIN -- Britton, Eben

23. NEP -- Davis, Vontae

24. ATL -- Jerry, Peria

25. MIA -- Maualuga, Rey

26. BAL -- Heyward-Bey, Darrius

27. IND -- Wood, Eric

28. BUF -- Brown, Everette

29. NYG -- Britt, Kenny

30. TEN -- Freeman, Josh

31. DET (via ARI) -- Laurinaitis, James (detroit via arizona)

32. PIT -- Mack, Alex

(The Boldin sweepstakes is the biggest wild card in the draft right now; honestly, I wouldn't put it past Philly to trade their other 1st-rounder to the Cardinals to get him. Other than that, the surprises of the mock are obviously the falls of Maclin, Raji, and Freeman. I have my reasons for each, of course. :wacko:)

I don't see the Bengals passing on Curry if both Monroe and Smtih and Crabtree are gone.

Curry would be the best player left on the board,and would fill an immediate need at LB.The Bengals have Keith Rivers at WLB,but have castoff Dhani Jones at MLB,and CFL product Jeanty at SLB.Curry would start immediately at SLB.

I like the Packer trade down and picking Tyson Jackson there. PON and I kind of did the same in the mock Irish did. We then took Larry English in round two.

What do you think Ted Thompson would get for it?

Andre Smith at 4? He has been moving up the combine mess, but that is pretty high for a risk player.

All 3 USC linebackers go in round 1. That makes sense but I hoping one would fall.

I don't see the Bengals passing on Curry if both Monroe and Smtih and Crabtree are gone.

Curry would be the best player left on the board,and would fill an immediate need at LB.The Bengals have Keith Rivers at WLB,but have castoff Dhani Jones at MLB,and CFL product Jeanty at SLB.Curry would start immediately at SLB.

You may have a point, but I think they like Jeanty quite a bit -- enough to not see quite as much value from Curry as another team might.

On the other hand, they have absolutely ZERO pass rush. Odom flopped in his first year as a Bengal, and Geathers has been a complete non-factor for two years. If you're the Bengals brass, you'd really rather have a very solid (if unspectacular) SLB than a legit DE with 15-sack potential?

What if they believe (like I do) that the top four OTs will be gone by 11? Who would they take?

Well, if Smith and Monroe go 2 and 3 like you think, they might have to move up IF they wanted one of them and one of them only. But lets say SEA stays put and all 4 OTs are gone by 11, I think they take Ayers at 11, then an OT at 28 (whoever they have rated highest at that point.

Dont worry dude. Im not knocking your pick there. I just dont think itll happen. Pretty solid overall.

If you're the Bengals brass, you'd really rather have a very solid (if unspectacular) SLB than a legit DE with 15-sack potential?

Wow.

You've just downgraded the best LB in the draft,who some rate as the best player in the draft to a "solid" player.You then tout Orapko,who some think is a tweener as a potential 15 sack guy?Based on what?His best season was 11 sacks in college.He has 21 total sacks in college.

My answer is yes,the Bengals would rather have the solid and potentially spectacular Curry before Orapko.I base this on their draft history since Lewis became the head coach.Keith Rivers in the 1st round,Thurman in the 2nd round,Pollack in the 1st round.The only way I see the Bengals selecting Orapko before Curry is if they're convinced he can play SLB as well as DE.

But who knows.We shall find out next week.The one thing I'm utterly convinced of is the Bengals will once again pass on a center in the 2nd...which will hurt them.

I just have to say no on many fronts.

I don't see Buffalo trading up. They have no reason to. They can sit where they are and get a nice DE and OT in the first round. Quality will be there at either pick.

Curry will not fall to 8.

Denver is not throwing smoke screens. They are really happy with Orton and they will give him at least a year to prove himself.

Arizona would not move up to get Wells. They can stay right where they are and snag Donald Brown.

If Indianapolis drafts Eric Wood at 27 then I will give you my password to this site and eat all the crow in the world.

Raji will not fall to 16.

Why would Tennessee go QB so early? They know the situation they are in and the only way out is to cut Young or eventually play him. Right now is not that time.

Why would Pittsburgh draft Alex Mack? How could they possibly pass up Alphonso Smith if he is on the board?

Sorry but I see too many holes in this draft. :wacko:

Edited by Mr Hammock

I just have to say no on many fronts.

I don't see Buffalo trading up. They have no reason to. They can sit where they are and get a nice DE and OT in the first round. Quality will be there at either pick.

Denver is not throwing smoke screens. They are really happy with Orton and they will give him at least a year to prove himself.

Arizona would not move up to get Wells. They can stay right where they are and snag Donald Brown.

If Indianapolis drafts Eric Wood at 27 then I will give you my password to this site and eat all the crow in the world.

Raji will not fall to 16.

Why would Tennessee go QB so early? They know the situation they are in and the only way out is to cut Young or eventually play him. Right now is not that time.

Why would Pittsburgh draft Alex Mack? How could they possibly pass up Alphonso Smith if he is on the board?

Sorry but I see too many holes in this draft. :D

I agree on this one point. Word in Green Bay is they won't pass on him, but if they did trade down would take him. I doubt he'll be there at 9.

And yes I agree with Chargerz Swiss cheese does have a lot of holes. :wacko:

If they do this they'll need to trade up before San Francisco. It could be another head fake though.

Report: Broncos to meet with Sanchez

April 17, 2009 7:44 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Denver Broncos are at least going to consider taking USC quarterback Mark Sanchez in next weekend's draft. The Denver Post is reporting the Broncos have arranged a private workout with Sanchez next week.

The Broncos' interest in Sanchez is understandable but it is coming late. His workout will be held four days before he will become a sure first-round draft choice. Denver did not attend USC's pro day workout earlier this month.

Just to add-if the Bengals DO select Orapko,my feelings won't be hurt.He is arguably the best pass rusher out there based on his last year and potential.

It's just my gut feeling that if it comes down to Orapko and Curry,Curry is the pick.

If they do this they'll need to trade up before San Francisco. It could be another head fake though.

Report: Broncos to meet with Sanchez

April 17, 2009 7:44 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Denver Broncos are at least going to consider taking USC quarterback Mark Sanchez in next weekend's draft. The Denver Post is reporting the Broncos have arranged a private workout with Sanchez next week.

The Broncos' interest in Sanchez is understandable but it is coming late. His workout will be held four days before he will become a sure first-round draft choice. Denver did not attend USC's pro day workout earlier this month.

SF is NOT drafting Sanchez. They have far too many glaring holes, they can't afford to use a top 10 pick on a guy who will carry a clip board for a year or two. The McSing experiment needs to produce something in the way of wins or they will be gone. If they do draft a QB, it will not be until later in the draft, definitely not with the #10 pick.

SF is NOT drafting Sanchez. They have far too many glaring holes, they can't afford to use a top 10 pick on a guy who will carry a clip board for a year or two. The McSing experiment needs to produce something in the way of wins or they will be gone. If they do draft a QB, it will not be until later in the draft, definitely not with the #10 pick.

+1

+1

There's a rumor that DEN is trying to trade up to #3 with KC. If true, then there's no way that a QB is on DEN's radar in the 1st, cuz they could save money and draft picks by trading with JAX for that. I'm thinking that they want Curry at #3.

The chart says that take 1000 points, would they give up 2 picks to do it?

Sounds like a smokescreen.

Mr Hammock -- I don't mean this in a condescending way, but I'm curious where you get your information. Some of what you seem so certain about is contrary to what I read/hear. :wacko:

I think Buffalo will get a good DE at 28, but I'm very confident the top four OTs will go in the top 10. So what would Buffalo do about their most glaring, gaping hole at OT?

Tell me who would take Curry before #8, and I'll give you a better argument why they'd take someone else.

Denver is sold on Orton? :D Sure they are. Orton's contract expires at the end of the 2009 season. You think McDaniels, after what happened with Cutler, is going to enter his coaching tenure with Kyle Orton as his quarterback, no overt plans to sign him long-term, and nobody but Chris Simms behind him?

McDaniels would be stupid not to come away from this draft with a "new" franchise QB. It's the only thing that could buy him some time in Denver.

Wells is just a much better player than Brown. Plus, Brown is pretty much a Tim Hightower clone; the Cardinals have no reason to believe Brown would be a more effective NFL runner.

Jeff Saturday almost retired. They have almost no other significant needs. Wood is a very good player -- at least as good as any other players available there. I'm pretty sure they'd be very content to leave Pollak at guard and take Wood to be their center-in-waiting. But I'd be curious to see what some Colts homers think. :D

As for Raji, see my comment on Curry above. If you're going to dispute where a certain player is slotted in my mock, you at least need to tell me why a different team would have taken him instead of the guy I have them taking.

I think Tennessee knows who Vince Young is at this point. If Freeman falls all the way till the end of the 1st, they can justify to their fans that the value was too great to pass up. I don't think Fisher believes for one second that Young will be the Titans' QB of the future.

The Pittsburgh comment might be the most surprising one you made. Alphonso Smith is a pretty clear 2nd-round prospect, and Mack is one of the safest players in the draft -- at a position of huge need for Pittsburgh. I'm not the only one who believes they'll go O-line at 32.

Denver is sold on Orton? :D Sure they are. Orton's contract expires at the end of the 2009 season. You think McDaniels, after what happened with Cutler, is going to enter his coaching tenure with Kyle Orton as his quarterback, no overt plans to sign him long-term, and nobody but Chris Simms behind him?

Don't forget they've got Chris Simms too. :wacko:

Brown is actually a very complete RB. He can do a lot in the passing game, splitting out more than a few times and making some damn fine catches. I dont know if he will be a better player than Wells, but he will be on the field more often and will do a lot of little things that make a team better.

Didnt the Colts take like 3 Centers last year?

By the way, in Nolan Nawrocki's latest mock draft (April 17), he's got Curry sliding all the way to 11.

There's a reason for it. He's a very safe player -- he's almost certainly going to be an NFL starter for 10 years -- but is he an IMPACT player? Nobody can say that for sure. While he's straight-line fast, he didn't display the short-area agility and quick-twitch athleticism in Combine drills. He's too big to be a WLB, hasn't really played MLB and he's got zero pass-rushing experience (which you'd definitely want in an SLB or 3-4 OLB).

Just because the Lions have negotiated with him doesn't mean he's in high demand among the other teams in the top 10.

Mr Hammock -- I don't mean this in a condescending way, but I'm curious where you get your information. Some of what you seem so certain about is contrary to what I read/hear. :wacko:

I think Buffalo will get a good DE at 28, but I'm very confident the top four OTs will go in the top 10. So what would Buffalo do about their most glaring, gaping hole at OT?

Tell me who would take Curry before #8, and I'll give you a better argument why they'd take someone else.

McDaniels would be stupid not to come away from this draft with a "new" franchise QB. It's the only thing that could buy him some time in Denver.

Wells is just a much better player than Brown. Plus, Brown is pretty much a Tim Hightower clone; the Cardinals have no reason to believe Brown would be a more effective NFL runner.

Jeff Saturday almost retired. They have almost no other significant needs. Wood is a very good player -- at least as good as any other players available there. I'm pretty sure they'd be very content to leave Pollak at guard and take Wood to be their center-in-waiting. But I'd be curious to see what some Colts homers think. :D

As for Raji, see my comment on Curry above. If you're going to dispute where a certain player is slotted in my mock, you at least need to tell me why a different team would have taken him instead of the guy I have them taking.

I think Tennessee knows who Vince Young is at this point. If Freeman falls all the way till the end of the 1st, they can justify to their fans that the value was too great to pass up. I don't think Fisher believes for one second that Young will be the Titans' QB of the future.

The Pittsburgh comment might be the most surprising one you made. Alphonso Smith is a pretty clear 2nd-round prospect, and Mack is one of the safest players in the draft -- at a position of huge need for Pittsburgh. I'm not the only one who believes they'll go O-line at 32.

When you post a mock draft you have to have thick skin. I post mine here because I value most of the people’s opinion here. Some people here have made me think about things in a different way so having an open mind in a debate is always the best policy.

Buffalo could get a good DE and/or a good OT at 11 or 28. It doesn’t matter which way they go. All they have to do is set back and watch what happens and take advantage of what is left. What would be so wrong with them going Everett Brown, Tyson Jackson, or Ayers at 11 and then following it up with a Britton, Beatty, or Loadholt at 28? On the other hand it is possible that a top 4 OT could fall to them at 11 and they could in return still get a good DE at 28. Either way they will win if they stay put. Trying to trade up will be a waste. Buffalo needs to much to trade two first round picks for one.

Who would take Curry? How about every team drafting before #8. The Lions are working out a mock deal with him right now to see if he could be their #1. That won’t likely happen, but there is no way he will fall past 5.

Denver IS sold on Orton. You have to ask yourself, where is Josh McDaniels from. Brady was drafted in the sixth round, Cassel was drafted in the seventh, and Orton was drafted in the fourth. McDaniels chose Orton because he wins and he is the kind of QB that fits what he wants to do. They will give Orton a shot this year and see what happens. What do they have to lose? It’s not realistic a rookie will comes in and fixes the situation this year.

Wells is better than Brown? I know some people who would actually disagree with you, including me. I would take Brown over Wells any day. Sure Wells is big and fast, but he won’t give you 30 carries a game and he doesn’t have the hands that Brown does. Wells will go earlier based on the measurables, but Brown will have the better career. Hightower and Brown are not clones. They are very different. For starters Brown runs closer to the ground while Hightower runs more standing up.

Saturday didn’t almost retire. He tested the market and decided to resign with the Colts. How many draft picks do you want the Colts to spend on their OL? Going C/G early in the draft really isn’t the Colts motto, unless it is the best player on the board. Wood would be a reach and he would be sitting all year watching. The Colts might go guard later, but it would be a Howard Mudd pick. Mudd has taken many late second day picks and even undrafted picks and made them into quality players.

How can you really believe Raji will fall to 16? I just can’t for the life of me understand why you are even arguing this point. There is ZERO chance that Raji makes it past Denver at 12. He will go much earlier than that, probably to the Jags. I have done three solid mock drafts and every time Raji went to the Jags. Even if he would have fallen then he would have to slip past Packers, 49ers, Bills, Broncos, Redskins, Saints, and Texans to make it to 16. Not going to happen, my friend. :D

We all know who Vince Young is, but cutting him comes with a price and they will eat it on the cap. They also will have to eat crow. What harm does it do to keep him on the team and hope for a miracle? Maybe Collins goes down and Young comes in and saves the day. Laugh now but stranger things have happened. If I were the Titans I would not cut Young until close to the end of his contract.

I see that you and I do not agree on Alphonso Smith. You see I think he will go in front of Vontae Davis. Davis has a little better skills, but Smith brings the character that you want on your football team. Smith will likely be gone before 32, but if there he is probably going to be very high on the Steelers chart.