[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garden Talk

SheikYerbuti

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the solution. Venison kabobs. Marinade some back straps in teriyaki over night. Cut into 1" cubes and grill with some fresh summer squash cubed, tomato quarters, and mushrooms. Mrs. HR makes these and they disappear! The deer will get the message. Those hunting regulations are just "guidelines".

Spoken like a true citizen of Festus. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Well Sunday the garden officially goes in. I went to the nursery tonight were I buy my compost and they didnt have the humus that I usually buy which bummed me out since I had 2 really succesful years in a row with that stuff. I bought dehydrated cow manure and Chicken Manure. The guy said Chicken manure was very good and people were buying tons of it when I was there. I tilled my whole spot tonight. Weeded the whole area turned the soil and put the cow manure down first then the chickn one. The chicken stuff is pretty dry as is the cow one. Have any of you had success with chicken poop ?

The soil looked great when I was done. It seems a little dry but I assume I shouldnt worry about that. The under soil from last year was pretty moist when I turned it and I saw a fair amount of earth worms . I'm doin cukes, 3 different types of tomatoes and eggplant. Cant wait until sunday :wacko:

edit to add: Im sure some of you use a roto tiller but I still use "The Claw" My dad got it off an informercial many moons ago and I swear by this thing. Breaks up the soil real nice and kicks up the rocks and roots.

Edited by whomper

Well Sunday the garden officially goes in. I went to the nursery tonight were I buy my compost and they didnt have the humus that I usually buy which bummed me out since I had 2 really succesful years in a row with that stuff. I bought dehydrated cow manure and Chicken Manure. The guy said Chicken manure was very good and people were buying tons of it when I was there. I tilled my whole spot tonight. Weeded the whole area turned the soil and put the cow manure down first then the chickn one. The chicken stuff is pretty dry as is the cow one. Have any of you had success with chicken poop ?

The soil looked great when I was done. It seems a little dry but I assume I shouldnt worry about that. The under soil from last year was pretty moist when I turned it and I saw a fair amount of earth worms . I'm doin cukes, 3 different types of tomatoes and eggplant. Cant wait until sunday :wacko:

edit to add: Im sure some of you use a roto tiller but I still use "The Claw" My dad got it off an informercial many moons ago and I swear by this thing. Breaks up the soil real nice and kicks up the rocks and roots.

Used to use a lot of it. As long as it's not fresh (which it sounds like yours is not by the dryness of it) it is pretty high powered stuff. High in nitrogen especially compared to some other common manures. Your garden sounds great!

Used to use a lot of it. As long as it's not fresh (which it sounds like yours is not by the dryness of it) it is pretty high powered stuff. High in nitrogen especially compared to some other common manures. Your garden sounds great!

Yep, the only thing to be concerned with about any manure is that it is fully composted. Otherwise it will burn your plants.

We're kinda fraked where we are. The deer are like giants herds of wildebeasts sweeping majestically through my back yard. My neighbor tried to combat the problem by putting up and electric fence. The last he saw of it, it was wrapped around the horns of a rather large buck headed for parts unknown. :D

So about all we can do is stuff we can grow on the deck. We'll do a coupla tomatoes and peppers but we go heavy on the fresh herbs. Dill, basil, rosemary, thyme, cilantro and parsley are all stupid easy to grow and make a hugh difference in your food.

Try planting a few veggies in the yard and regularly peeing around them - it keeps rabbits away, maybe it will work on deer. :wacko:

I'm slacking on the garden stuff this year. Weeds grew in way too fast and took over. I sprayed them last week and they are just starting to die off. I'll be doing well if I can get them cleared and till this coming weekend.

Garden has been in a week and looks to have survived the transplant well. I have 1 eggplant plant that has been a little shaky but everything else is looking strong. I put 3 gardens in this season. I put mine in and a garden for 2 of my daughters classmates. I used the same stuff on all of them. This soil is not what I am used to but the plants seem fine. I noticed it gets a little clumpy so every few days I have been loosening the soil in bewteen the plants and around the base of the plants so I dont have any drainage problems.

I had about 7 plants left over in the flats after all the gardens were put in. My 5 year old really took an interest when I was putting mine in and watched me the whole time. She helped me a little bit and asked all the right questions. I have a spot on the side of my house where I put my first Garden. Its a decent spot for a Garden. Doesnt get a tremendous amount of sun but it seems to get enough for a garden to be productive. I decided to get the 7 plants I had left over and make a second garden that was just for my daughter. I dug out a spot that is about 6 x 6. I had a few bags of compost left so we cleaned out a spot layed down and mixed in the soil and planted 6 of the plants I had left over. Yesterday we came home from a family outing and my kids got out of the car and my little one went to the side of the house. I was unloading the car and gave a peak to see where they were and she had grabbed the hose on her own and was watering her plants :sniff: :sniff: I hope her garden does the best out of all of the ones we put in.

Edited by whomper

Garden has been in a week and looks to have survived the transplant well. I have 1 eggplant plant that has been a little shaky but everything else is looking strong. I put 3 gardens in this season. I put mine in and a garden for 2 of my daughters classmates. I used the same stuff on all of them. This soil is not what I am used to but the plants seem fine. I noticed it gets a little clumpy so every few days I have been loosening the soil in bewteen the plants and around the base of the plants so I dont have any drainage problems.

I had about 7 plants left over in the flats after all the gardens were put in. My 5 year old really took an interest when I was putting mine in and watched me the whole time. She helped me a little bit and asked all the right questions. I have a spot on the side of my house where I put my first Garden. Its a decent spot for a Garden. Doesnt get a tremendous amount of sun but it seems to get enough for a garden to be productive. I decided to get the 7 plants I had left over and make a second garden that was just for my daughter. I dug out a spot that is about 6 x 6. I had a few bags of compost left so we cleaned out a spot layed down and mixed in the soil and planted 6 of the plants I had left over. Yesterday we came home from a family outing and my kids got out of the car and my little one went to the side of the house. I was unloading the car and gave a peak to see where they were and she had grabbed the hose on her own and was watering her plants :sniff: :sniff: I hope her garden does the best out of all of the ones we put in.

What happened to plant #7?

I tried to do seed this year in the little greenhouses. To be honest, I'll probably just buy the littlle starter plants from now on. Seeds give you waaaaay too many plants for my needs. I have around 15 tomato plants and 12 are looking good. I'll be an eckspurt on spaghetti sauce by the time this is all over. Also about 25 stalks of white corn that are about 3 feet tall now. I've never done corn before so we'll see. I've heard that your stalks can look good and no corn comes.

My green pepper and carrots are sucking hard. I think it may be the location. I think I'm gonna till that area up and move stuff over to a new location.

What happened to plant #7?

I didnt have room for it and didnt want to crowd her spot so I put it in a pot and gave it to my neighbor

I tried to do seed this year in the little greenhouses. To be honest, I'll probably just buy the littlle starter plants from now on. Seeds give you waaaaay too many plants for my needs. I have around 15 tomato plants and 12 are looking good. I'll be an eckspurt on spaghetti sauce by the time this is all over. Also about 25 stalks of white corn that are about 3 feet tall now. I've never done corn before so we'll see. I've heard that your stalks can look good and no corn comes.

My green pepper and carrots are sucking hard. I think it may be the location. I think I'm gonna till that area up and move stuff over to a new location.

You have to put something around the corn to keep the animals away or they will no doubt eat it if it blooms.

Edited by whomper

You have to put something around the corn to keep the animals away or they will no doubt eat it if it blooms.

All of my stuff is in 3 raised beds with a small fence around it or else it wouldn't last a day.

Tell me about it. We did the same, ended up with about 50 tomato plants (3 varieties) and a dozen or so each of zucchini, pumpkin, musk melon, 3 varieties of cukes, and 5 varieties of peppers. Also 2 forms of basil. The idea was that we were going to have a plant sale but ultimately felt weird about selling them to friends and just gave a bunch away and loaded our yard to the hilt. If they all go, we'll be swimming in produce. Of course, with the restaurant(s), we'll have a use for much of it.

Needless to say, as much as the overabundance issue, it was just really a hassle. The early spring was unseasonably cool so we were constantly having to bring the cups inside because the hotbox wasn't able to stay above 50 at night.

The spring yields have been pretty good for lettuce, turnips, peas, radishes, and chard and we're about done transitioning our main beds from the spring crops to the summer ones. In order to be able to continue to grow lettuce through the summer, we're installing a special bed right up against a section of the house that only gets morning sun and thus may stay cool enough year round. We bought a 3-bin stainless steel sink without drainboards from the scrap metal yard and are going to fill it part of the way with gravel and the rest with soil. One nice thing about it is that it will be counter height so we won't have to crouch to work it.

On another note, so far so good in terms of not having used any city water on the garden. I rigged the drain of the 80 gallon sink that we're using as a rain barrel and all the veggies are down hill from there. We also get pretty decent pressure from the hose. I hooked up two hoses together and can run them from our larger cistern in the front yard to fill up the sink between rains. That's pretty much all we need the large cistern for since everything around it is drought tolerant anyway. It is my hope that we can grow all these crops without having to turn the water on all summer.

Sweet, detlef. That looks just like my setup, only not so grandoise and I have a small chicken wire wrapped around the wood to keep the varmin outside. Lookin' good. :wacko:

Just promise you wont kill me and take all my stuff when the poopy hits the fan.

Anyone know why the leaves on my broccoli plants are full of holes? There's nothing visible on them like aphids or anything. :wacko:

It's not uncommon and doesn't need to be aphids or something that infests the plant to the extent that they're obvious. How bad is it? I've found that in the past it wasn't too bad and the florets were still nice. My turnips leaves have got that going on but since 1) the turnips themselves are fine and 2) you can't even tell once you cook down the greens themselves, I'm not going to trip.

At very least, I'll take it over spraying.

It's not uncommon and doesn't need to be aphids or something that infests the plant to the extent that they're obvious. How bad is it? I've found that in the past it wasn't too bad and the florets were still nice. My turnips leaves have got that going on but since 1) the turnips themselves are fine and 2) you can't even tell once you cook down the greens themselves, I'm not going to trip.

At very least, I'll take it over spraying.

Its getting really bad. I don't think they'll make it if I don't figure it out.

Its getting really bad. I don't think they'll make it if I don't figure it out.

I had beetles last year. I bought an organice spray that took care of the problem. Rip off a leaf and bring it to a nursery. I bet someone there will detect the problem and possibly have a solution on hand.

Try planting a few veggies in the yard and regularly peeing around them - it keeps rabbits away, maybe it will work on deer. :wacko:

No, it will not work.

I am swimming in strawberries right now. I love homemade strawberry jelly and eating them over ice cream. The rest of the garden is doing fantastic as well.

Edited by Hat Trick

So everyone always says "Start your tomatoes inside! Be careful that your tomatoes stay warm at all times!!!"

Anyway, one of my planters was all cherry tomato plants last summer. Deciding to rotate the crops, I pulled out all the dead tomato plants, ripped up all the weeds, added new compost and turned over the soil. A lot of tomatoes fell off the plants last year and buried in the soil, but that's no problem since they've been dead and frozen over all winter, and everyone knows how fragile tomato seeds are, right?

So I planted spinach seed in that planter, and sure enough I've got a planter that's half spinach and half cherry tomato plants!! Those seeds made it through the winter and sprouted no problem.