[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Golf equipment advice

Jimmy Neutron

This guy knows things :wacko:

I've played titleist irons for 20 years and have loved every set. I played competitively for a number of years so tended to do my homework with every new set of clubs and continually went back to titleist irons. I've hit the AP1s and AP2s and they're both pretty forgiving....AP1s more so I think. All that said, I just made the switch to Mizuno MP62s, but the decision was based more on workability than forgiveness.

Shaft technology has changed quite a bit as well, so make sure you try the different options.

I've never been impressed with Titleist drivers. Had one in the bag for about 6 months at one point, but for the most part, TaylorMade has been the driver of choice for me. I'm playing a tour burner tp right now, but that R7 Limited is a great driver as well.

Since there are some NW people reading the thread, I'll hijack it a bit: Played Wine Valley Golf Club in Walla Walla on Saturday. It just opened a couple weeks ago and was designed by Dan Hixson who also designed Bandon Crossings. This is another links style course: hard fairways and greens, bunkers that actually punish you if you hit into them, rough is long native grasses. The layout is fantastic...plays to over 7300 from the tips but there are a few holes that any drive in the fairway is going to run so far that it doesn't seem that long. Good balance of par 3s...I tend to get tired of playing courses where I hit the same club on every par 3. There are a couple of greens and a few fairways where the grass needs to mature a bit more, but if you're in the Walla Walla area, I highly recommend checking out the course. They were cool enough to let me tee off prior to the official first tee time as a single and was able to walk the course in 2:30.....had plenty of time to finish and get to the wineries before they opened.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played titleist irons for 20 years and have loved every set. I played competitively for a number of years so tended to do my homework with every new set of clubs and continually went back to titleist irons. I've hit the AP1s and AP2s and they're both pretty forgiving....AP1s more so I think. All that said, I just made the switch to Mizuno MP62s, but the decision was based more on workability than forgiveness.

Shaft technology has changed quite a bit as well, so make sure you try the different options.

I've never been impressed with Titleist drivers. Had one in the bag for about 6 months at one point, but for the most part, TaylorMade has been the driver of choice for me. I'm playing a tour burner tp right now, but that R7 Limited is a great driver as well.

Since there are some NW people reading the thread, I'll hijack it a bit: Played Wine Valley Golf Club in Walla Walla on Saturday. It just opened a couple weeks ago and was designed by Dan Hixson who also designed Bandon Crossings. This is another links style course: hard fairways and greens, bunkers that actually punish you if you hit into them, rough is long native grasses. The layout is fantastic...plays to over 7300 from the tips but there are a few holes that any drive in the fairway is going to run so far that it doesn't seem that long. Good balance of par 3s...I tend to get tired of playing courses where I hit the same club on every par 3. There are a couple of greens and a few fairways where the grass needs to mature a bit more, but if you're in the Walla Walla area, I highly recommend checking out the course. They were cool enough to let me tee off prior to the official first tee time as a single and was able to walk the course in 2:30.....had plenty of time to finish and get to the wineries before they opened.

I feel the same way about my Titleist irons. Nice to read the differring opinions and choices though. I will have to try the WVGC in Walla Walla sometime but I don't get "east" very often. I have always wanted to play Desert Canyon but never had the opportunity. I think that we are very fortunate to have the caliber of courses that we do in Western Washington. I played Chambers Bay last week for the 3rd time. I t's a great track but the greens are horrible, and for me, ruin the experience. I four putted 2 greens and three putted another 3? Despite my putting, I hit the ball pretty well and still shot an 82. The greens really need to mature. They are being careful to not cut them very low so they don't burn. I can't see how they can possible be ready for the 2010 amateur. They are that bad!

I am trying to get a couple groups together to play Bandon Dunes this summer. We are going to play 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. The new course opens I think in July so we are hoping to get an opportunity to play that one too. I've heard that the Bandon experience is one you'll never forget. We are going to rent one of the cabins on the course. Should be good times! If you're interested we might have 1 or 2 spots open?

I feel the same way about my Titleist irons. Nice to read the differring opinions and choices though. I will have to try the WVGC in Walla Walla sometime but I don't get "east" very often. I have always wanted to play Desert Canyon but never had the opportunity. I think that we are very fortunate to have the caliber of courses that we do in Western Washington. I played Chambers Bay last week for the 3rd time. I t's a great track but the greens are horrible, and for me, ruin the experience. I four putted 2 greens and three putted another 3? Despite my putting, I hit the ball pretty well and still shot an 82. The greens really need to mature. They are being careful to not cut them very low so they don't burn. I can't see how they can possible be ready for the 2010 amateur. They are that bad!

I am trying to get a couple groups together to play Bandon Dunes this summer. We are going to play 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. The new course opens I think in July so we are hoping to get an opportunity to play that one too. I've heard that the Bandon experience is one you'll never forget. We are going to rent one of the cabins on the course. Should be good times! If you're interested we might have 1 or 2 spots open?

Then drive east and play David McKay Kidd's Tetherow and play Crosswater. I can give you a free place to stay and get you on Crosswater for $85.

Then drive east and play David McKay Kidd's Tetherow and play Crosswater. I can give you a free place to stay and get you on Crosswater for $85.

I would love to take you up on that. I played Widgi Creek and the "other two" courses at Sunriver last year but I didn't get a chance to play Crosswater. I have a crazy travel schedule during the next 60 days with trips to Chicago, Vegas, Cabo in 3 weeks (Yikes!), San Francisco and Dallas. What would be the best time for you to arrange this?

Let me just add ...... I envy anyone that lives in beautiful, Bend Oregon! :wacko:

Edited by theprofessor

I would love to take you up on that. I played Widgi Creek and the "other two" courses at Sunriver last year but I didn't get a chance to play Crosswater. I have a crazy travel schedule during the next 60 days with trips to Chicago, Vegas, Cabo in 3 weeks (Yikes!), San Francisco and Dallas. What would be the best time for you to arrange this?

Let me just add ...... I envy anyone that lives in beautiful, Bend Oregon! :wacko:

At this point we have no plans this summer but to stay here in Bend, so PM me when you think you might be down this way. Crosswater is our course but we live in Bend, so it takes about 25 minutes to get there. We can actually see Tethrow from our house. It is now a semi-private course due to the economy and will be quite beautiful until the houses go in which will be quite some time now. The greedy developers ruined this course. It could have had a Bandon Dunes feel to it-and currently does, until the fairways are lined with houses. Eventually it will be like playing at the two Sunriver courses. At Crosswater you hardly notice the houses since they are set back nicely.

:wacko: I love this game. When any of you are up in Mukilteo WA.come out and play Harbour Pointe with me. $15 with cart. $20 on weekends. Deals on food and drinks too.....

Want to play Wine Valley for sure this year, but have found The Home Course in Dupont to be outfrigginstanding. Liked it better than Chambers Bay in fact

Edited by Hugh B Tool

:wacko: I love this game. When any of you are up in Mukilteo WA.come out and play Harbour Pointe with me. $15 with cart. $20 on weekends. Deals on food and drinks too.....

Want to play Wine Valley for sure this year, but have found The Home Course in Dupont to be outfrigginstanding. Liked it better than Chambers Bay in fact

The Home Course is a pretty well kept secret and a very nice course. Challenging but fair. It's one of those courses that I never seem to score well on? Any time your going to play it, and have room for a 4th, PM me and I'll join you. I can get out most any weekday and Saturday mornings.

Edited by theprofessor

When any of you are up in Mukilteo WA.come out and play Harbour Pointe with me. $15 with cart. $20 on weekends.

$15.00-$20.00 :wacko: Are you kidding? That's an incredible rate. How does HP compare to some other courses in the area? Home Course, Trophy Lake, Gold Mountain. etc.

I just talked to my boy at Bandon a few weeks ago. He told me to consider coming up in September/October. It should be about half the price and it doesn't rain a ton til november.

$15.00-$20.00 :wacko: Are you kidding? That's an incredible rate. How does HP compare to some other courses in the area? Home Course, Trophy Lake, Gold Mountain. etc.

Harbour is a good track!! Very good shape most of the year. Cost me $60 last time I played it.

We definitely need to get a NW game together. I'm in the Seattle area pretty often and would definitely be game.

I played at Bandon for a week in January. 65-70 and sunny every day, although the wind did come up for about 45 minutes one day. It was unreal given the weather and the cheapest time to play of the year.

Harbour is a good track!! Very good shape most of the year. Cost me $60 last time I played it.

Agreed. My parents still live in Snohomish and I haven't played it in years, but I remember it being a good course. Isn't it part of the Oki group now? I used to play at Echo Falls all the time which is, I believe, part of that group now as well.

I could go into Titleist horror stories for hours. Titleist is the devil. (literally, they can ship you the wrong item, with the wrong shaft, and won't take it back from you, and blame the mistake on the consumer). I won't go into details, but you will never in your life find someone who works in the golf equipment industry playing Titleist equipment. I would rather get all my teeth removed with tweezers than to have to work with the Titleist golf company. I won't sell their equipment, won't play it, won't even act like they are an option. Also, their technology is outdated three years, and if you could see the technology differences without any names on the products, you would see just how overpriced and underperforming their clubs are. They are overpriced, solid clubs for good players. You will never in your life hit a Titleist club and say "wow", unless you are one of those "Titleist Guys". You can take your AP2, I'll take a club with ample perimeter weighting and some pop to it.

I could go into Titleist horror stories for hours. Titleist is the devil. (literally, they can ship you the wrong item, with the wrong shaft, and won't take it back from you, and blame the mistake on the consumer). I won't go into details, but you will never in your life find someone who works in the golf equipment industry playing Titleist equipment. I would rather get all my teeth removed with tweezers than to have to work with the Titleist golf company. I won't sell their equipment, won't play it, won't even act like they are an option. Also, their technology is outdated three years, and if you could see the technology differences without any names on the products, you would see just how overpriced and underperforming their clubs are. They are overpriced, solid clubs for good players. You will never in your life hit a Titleist club and say "wow", unless you are one of those "Titleist Guys". You can take your AP2, I'll take a club with ample perimeter weighting and some pop to it.

It sounds like your opinion is driven more by your dissatisfaction with how the Titleist company manages their shipping business then your own experience with using their equipment but hey, you have a right to your opinion. I would venture to bet though that there is MORE than one person that works in the golf industry that hits Titleist. :wacko:

I will be due for a new set of irons in a few years so what manufacture would you recommend that I look at?

I've been a Titleist guy for over 10 years. With the exception of my driver, everything in my bag is Titleist (including a Cameron putter). I'm a long hitter so distance means nothing to me. I've never found a club I can work better than a Titleist. The Mizuno blades are a close second.

It sounds like your opinion is driven more by your dissatisfaction with how the Titleist company manages their shipping business then your own experience with using their equipment but hey, you have a right to your opinion. I would venture to bet though that there is MORE than one person that works in the golf industry that hits Titleist. :wacko:

I will be due for a new set of irons in a few years so what manufacture would you recommend that I look at?

My dissatisfaction comes from having to work with Titleist on a daily basis. Working with Titleist reps, customer service, and the most pompus, Titleist customers. Double, I am totally not calling you out at all, and was going to say this anyways, but really, the most annoying guy I talk to every day is the guy that says exactly what you just said. I can see you're a player, but most aren't. They play Titleist strictly because it says "Titleist". Their bag, their Scottie Camerons, their forged blades, their "300 yard drives", the 67 they shot last week and their blonde girlfriend with fake breasts. I know this because the Titleist customer insists on telling me this. Every day. What's worse, is most of them couldn't play to a 20 in real life, and the clubs they just chose cost them ten extra strokes.

Ok. I'll share one Titleist story. I was playing in my men's club championship, and I had forgotten my glove. My Titleist rep was there with a booth, peddling balls and gloves and the like. I've known and worked with this guy for five years at this point. That week, I had personally sold 250 dozen Titleist golf balls. I walked over and said "Hey Dave, you got an extra glove over there, I forgot mine in my shag bag?" He told me to walk over to his van with him, and pulled out a glove. He handed me the glove, and then walking back, he asked "which ball ya playin?" I told him I was playing the new Bridgestone their rep gave me. His exact words.... "Not a Titleist? Sorry, you can't have the glove then". He grabbed it back and walked off. 250 dozen that week alone!!!

But seriously, other than the golf ball, and forged players club, which requires no technology or testing, their products underperform. Other than the ProV1, their golf balls also don't have near the feel, distance, or spin characteristics of their less expensive Bridgestone, crappy shoes from spammers, or Bridgestone balls based on the category (2-piece, 3 piece). Look at some of the club tests. They are at or near the bottom of every category. Their woods are dead and don't go anywhere, their cavity backs aren't very forgiving, and their putters aren't even made by them. They are one giant turd marketing department.

I don't know, Prof. What kind of player are you? What kind of clubs do you play? What do you want from a club?

As far as a player's club, I would take Mizuno, the Taylor MB or even the Ping S series. My favorite forged club still is the Bridgestone J33 or J36. All would outperform the Titleist.

My dissatisfaction comes from having to work with Titleist on a daily basis. Working with Titleist reps, customer service, and the most pompus, Titleist customers. Double, I am totally not calling you out at all, and was going to say this anyways, but really, the most annoying guy I talk to every day is the guy that says exactly what you just said. I can see you're a player, but most aren't. They play Titleist strictly because it says "Titleist". Their bag, their Scottie Camerons, their forged blades, their "300 yard drives", the 67 they shot last week and their blonde girlfriend with fake breasts. I know this because the Titleist customer insists on telling me this. Every day. What's worse, is most of them couldn't play to a 20 in real life, and the clubs they just chose cost them ten extra strokes.

Ok. I'll share one Titleist story. I was playing in my men's club championship, and I had forgotten my glove. My Titleist rep was there with a booth, peddling balls and gloves and the like. I've known and worked with this guy for five years at this point. That week, I had personally sold 250 dozen Titleist golf balls. I walked over and said "Hey Dave, you got an extra glove over there, I forgot mine in my shag bag?" He told me to walk over to his van with him, and pulled out a glove. He handed me the glove, and then walking back, he asked "which ball ya playin?" I told him I was playing the new Bridgestone their rep gave me. His exact words.... "Not a Titleist? Sorry, you can't have the glove then". He grabbed it back and walked off. 250 dozen that week alone!!!

But seriously, other than the golf ball, and forged players club, which requires no technology or testing, their products underperform. Other than the ProV1, their golf balls also don't have near the feel, distance, or spin characteristics of their less expensive Bridgestone, crappy shoes from spammers, or Bridgestone balls based on the category (2-piece, 3 piece). Look at some of the club tests. They are at or near the bottom of every category. Their woods are dead and don't go anywhere, their cavity backs aren't very forgiving, and their putters aren't even made by them. They are one giant turd marketing department.

I don't know, Prof. What kind of player are you? What kind of clubs do you play? What do you want from a club?

As far as a player's club, I would take Mizuno, the Taylor MB or even the Ping S series. My favorite forged club still is the Bridgestone J33 or J36. All would outperform the Titleist.

I have to admit that you have me thinking. To be honest I am a bit guilty in buying the "name" when I bought my irons. I stopped at a course in Redmond 3 years ago to hit a couple buckets during lunch as I was making some sales calls and they had a Titleist rep at the range there and I hit some of their clubs and the guy sold me on them. I didn't do a lot of research I just felt that with the "Titleist" name they had to be good? I got them fitted and have played with them ever since.

What kind of player am I? Right now .... not much of one. I play to about a 13-14 right now. A few years ago when I was playing more often my handicap got to as low as 7.4 - A normal round for me right now is between an 81-87. I used to consistently shoot between 76-80. My low round is a 71. Perhaps a better set of irons would help? PM me if you have any great deals that you think I should consider and I'll buy from you. My driver is this years TM Burner. 3 wood is a Taylor Made. 5 wood is Adams. I have a Taylor Made 22 degree rescue club and I play Titleist Vokey wedges (56 and 60). I also just purchased an Odyssey Sabertooth Putter that I love!

I wasn't trying to call you out either, getting a different, or in this case, a more educated perspective is good.

By the way, I would have grabbed the Titleist Rep by the back of the neck and slammed his head into the side of his van! :wacko:

Edited by theprofessor

As far as a player's club, I would take Mizuno, the Taylor MB or even the Ping S series.

What specific model(s) of irons would you recommend for a wanna be player? The more I read up on various clubs available, the less sure I am. :wacko:

Titleist is not for everyone. I play with a lot of good golfers and I'm the only one that plays Titleist. So maybe Seahawks is on to something.

But I am a good player and choose my equipment based on performance not name brand. I played the 990s for years and then switched to the 755s. There are definitely other clubs that are easier to hit. But I hit a lot of cut shots and I can do this better with Titleist irons than any other I've demoed.

I don't care for their drivers. I play an FT-5 tour driver that I had built to 2* open. Best driver I've ever hit.

Titleist is not for everyone. I play with a lot of good golfers and I'm the only one that plays Titleist. So maybe Seahawks is on to something.

But I am a good player and choose my equipment based on performance not name brand. I played the 990s for years and then switched to the 755s. There are definitely other clubs that are easier to hit. But I hit a lot of cut shots and I can do this better with Titleist irons than any other I've demoed.

I don't care for their drivers. I play an FT-5 tour driver that I had built to 2* open. Best driver I've ever hit.

Sounds very familiar! (I loved those 990s). Like I mentioned earlier, I chose my current set based on workability and the Mizunos had the titleist irons beat, not by much, but noticeable. No other iron even came close. Playing in Portland, we have the crappy shoes from spammers and TaylorMade reps pushing their stuff all the time (and I'm convinced crappy shoes from spammers and Pumpkin Ridge are in bed together) but personally, I couldn't get into their clubs at all. My TaylorMade driver is 2* open.

I've never had a Scotty Cameron putter in my bag. IMO, Tad Moore has been making better putters for years and being supported by a one-man company, you get lots of personal attention.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been slow in this process - played a couple of rounds in the last few days with some demo Ping G10s. Nice clubs - way more forgiving than my 1987 knock offs - a bit longer too. The hughly wide sole makes it easy to get the ball on the right trajectory, even with a bad lie.

Definately :wacko:

Last year, I went and got a set of Nickent 3DX Hybrids that I find to be something really special. I'm not a big hitter so the hybrid clubs replacing the 3 and 4 irons in the set have made a hugh difference for me. Very forgiving clubs for a hacker like myself and the price was incredible, $259 with graphite shafts.

I guess the point I'm making is that you don't have to go with a big name, big $$$ club to get good quality gear that you can play and will help your game.

I've been slow in this process - played a couple of rounds in the last few days with some demo Ping G10s. Nice clubs - way more forgiving than my 1987 knock offs - a bit longer too. The hughly wide sole makes it easy to get the ball on the right trajectory, even with a bad lie.

Definately :wacko:

BUY THEM! :D

Lowered my handicap 4 strokes last year after buying my G10's.

Love my driver as well.

Last year, I went and got a set of Nickent 3DX Hybrids that I find to be something really special. I'm not a big hitter so the hybrid clubs replacing the 3 and 4 irons in the set have made a hugh difference for me. Very forgiving clubs for a hacker like myself and the price was incredible, $259 with graphite shafts.

I guess the point I'm making is that you don't have to go with a big name, big $$$ club to get good quality gear that you can play and will help your game.

I'll have a hard time pulling my TM Rescue hybrid out of my bag - that club saves my butt - a lot. I don't know that I'll go with the new hybrid sets - it seems too non-traditional to me to throw out my long irons.... like I'm giving up. I have looked at the Callaway iBirds and Adams A4s, but I have not played them.

I'm not really sold on the higher end clubs. The G10s were nice, but half the cost of the Raptures @ $1200. :wacko:

Most of the seemingly reputable golf shops carry the Nickent line - they must be pretty good.

Maybe I should just dive in - I just hate to "miss out" on the perfect clubs when I'll likely keep this set for 20 years too.