[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gun Control Legislaton In the Works

Perchoutofwater

H.R. 45 Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009

Basically this would make it illegal to own a firearm - any rifle with a clip or ANY pistol unless:

..It is registered

.You are fingerprinted

.You supply a current Driver's License

.You supply your Social Security #

.You will submit to a physical & mental evaluation at any time of their choosing

.Each update - change or ownership through private or public sale must be reported and costs $25

- Failure to do so you automatically lose the right to own a firearm and are subject up to a year in jail.

.There is a child provision clause on page 16 section 305 stating a child-access provision. Gun must be locked and inaccessible to any child under 18.

The Government would have the right to come and inspect that you are storing your gun safely away from accessibility to children and fine is punishable for up to 5 yrs. in prison.

It is currently in committee (House Judiciary)

I've saved some of you some time, Snopes.com

Edited by Perchoutofwater

So you're saying that the owning and operating of firearms would approach the level of governmental attention of owning and operating automobiles.

I for one... will add a big ol' Have to agree here to that.

Doesn't matter. 2nd Amendment is a bar against most federal regulation. Now, each of the 50 states could enact this kind of legislation. But it is highly unlikely that a federal statute would survive constitutional challenge.

So you're saying that the owning and operating of firearms would approach the level of governmental attention of owning and operating automobiles.

I for one... will add a big ol' Have to agree here to that.

There is a little more to it than that. The last time I checked you don't have to get finger printed to own a car. You don't have to give the auto dealer your social security number. You don't have to allow the government to search your home for owning a car. You don't go to jail for five years if your kid takes an innocent joy ride, unless he / she actually hurts someone. Oh, and the last time I checked owning a car isn't protected in the Bill of Rights.

Doesn't matter. 2nd Amendment is a bar against most federal regulation. Now, each of the 50 states could enact this kind of legislation. But it is highly unlikely that a federal statute would survive constitutional challenge.

That is true too. The last time I checked my drivers license (which I only have to have if I drive on public streets BTW) it says State of Texas, not United State of America.

Not gonna make it into law.

I hope you are right, as this law would affect the majority of deer rifles. If it were to pass I wouldn't be surprised to see some civil unrest over it. You look at states like Montana that have already passed what I affectionately call FUDC legislation regarding guns, basically side stepping interstate commerce. That one goes into effect in October. You have Utah and Texas both considering similar bills. You also have several State houses passing resolutions confirming States rights under the 10th Amendment. If it happens to pass and Obama is dumb enough to sign it, it could get really ugly for the Dems come the next election, particularly when many think they are already overstepping their bounds.

There is a little more to it than that. The last time I checked you don't have to get finger printed to own a car. You don't have to give the auto dealer your social security number. You don't have to allow the government to search your home for owning a car. You don't go to jail for five years if your kid takes an innocent joy ride, unless he / she actually hurts someone. Oh, and the last time I checked owning a car isn't protected in the Bill of Rights.

Take it easy, Gomer. Nobody's taking your guns. If only you showed this passion for the constitution even once during the last 8 years. :wacko:

Your own link says it's never going to be law.

You just like getting your panties in a bunch and complaining about the collapse of the world because your guy didn't get elected. Stop whining about everything and maybe someone would care.

Edited by AtomicCEO