[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best over the counter pain reliever

BS Miscreant

I have the typical aches and pains of a guy who has spent the better part of his life beating up his body through football, soccer, basketball, etc. I am getting older, 41, but I still play soccer and basketball. I realize that I am approaching, if not already at, an age where I'm just gonna be achy or in pain alot of the time but at least for now it is only sometimes. Truth is some of it is constant but the kind you just sort of deal with but I'm talking about the kind that sidelines you on occasion.

For years I've used the trusted Tylenol for fevers, Excedrin for head aches and Motrin(ibuprofin) for body and joint aches/pain. Over the last few years I've suspected that the Motrin option has been less than effective due to decades of use or possibly overuse and lately it seems to be waning even more.

I've heard people swear by Aleve. Is it really that good? Is there something else out there?

time to hang it up and start doing yoga or spin class

naw seriously, I play a ton of hoops and swear by good ole Advil for aches and pains

you may try and cycle off of it for a bit and then jump back in to see if it regains some effectiveness

Depends what ails you. Aleve is basically low level Naproxin, which is an anti-inflammatory. Take 2 Aleve every 8 hours and it's prescription strength. If you have something that would be helped by an anti-inflammatory, Aleve is the way to go.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Just re-read your post. For joint aches and pains, Aleve is the way to go. Take 2 every 8 hours, you'll feel like a million bucks, I'd almost guarantee it.

Aleve is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory in the same class as ibuprofen (Motrin) and may work better for you because it usually has a longer duration of action than ibuprofen.

Went to purchase said medicinals (ie Aleve) and asked the pharmacist about the differences between Ibuprofen and Naproxen and she said, although they do essentially the same thing, I could benefit from one over the other due to subtle differences of chemical properties so I bought the Aleve.

Now I'm sitting here having taken Aleve along with two Paulaner Hefes, 3 pints of PBR ($2) and a Red Hook Copper Hook Spring Ale (very nice) and I feel much better. The jury is still out on the Aleve but...

Just re-read your post. For joint aches and pains, Aleve is the way to go. Take 2 every 8 hours, you'll feel like a million bucks, I'd almost guarantee it.

Great stuff for aches and pains - way better than other OTCs for me.

Went to purchase said medicinals (ie Aleve) and asked the pharmacist about the differences between Ibuprofen and Naproxen and she said, although they do essentially the same thing, I could benefit from one over the other due to subtle differences of chemical properties so I bought the Aleve.

Now I'm sitting here having taken Aleve along with two Paulaner Hefes, 3 pints of PBR ($2) and a Red Hook Copper Hook Spring Ale (very nice) and I feel much better. The jury is still out on the Aleve but...

In the future you might want to just skip the Aleve..... :wacko: