[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Iphone Users

billay

I've got an upgrade discount available and am looking at the iphone. With the new 3G-S models coming out, the prices on the 3G's are going down. What's more important, memory or newer version? How much memory do apps take up? I don;t need to load it down, just a handful of songs, pics and apps. I don;t need it to be a walking media library.

Suggestions? TIA

There is never enough memory. If I were buying I would absolutely buy the 32G 3G-s. Anyone I know that bought the 8G original regrets not spending the extra $, and I believe that phenomenon will continue.

So given a choice between a 16gb 3G-S and a 32gb 3G, you'd go for the older version with more memory?

I have the 3G - 16GB and it is plenty of memory for me as fara as everyday usage. I don't have a ton of apps on mine, just mainly a few games and music. As far as songs go, I have about 2700 songs on mine and it could probably hold at least another 600 or so. I haven't really looked into the 3G-S, but at the price they are selling the 3G for, I would go that route (16 GB instead of 8 if possible).

I've got an upgrade discount available and am looking at the iphone. With the new 3G-S models coming out, the prices on the 3G's are going down. What's more important, memory or newer version? How much memory do apps take up? I don;t need to load it down, just a handful of songs, pics and apps. I don;t need it to be a walking media library.

Suggestions? TIA

The 8GB is plenty for me I use my iphone all the time, mainly for phone/email/texting but I have quite a few apps and about 700 songs and some pics, etc.

if the 3G's are coming down I would grab one, it is enough of a device for me personally with the 8, 16 would be more than enough

Edited by wildcat2334

So given a choice between a 16gb 3G-S and a 32gb 3G, you'd go for the older version with more memory?

I could be wrong, but I don't think they made a 3G with 32GB. I believe 8 and 16 were the only options.

I have the 3G - 16GB and it is plenty of memory for me as fara as everyday usage. I don't have a ton of apps on mine, just mainly a few games and music. As far as songs go, I have about 2700 songs on mine and it could probably hold at least another 600 or so. I haven't really looked into the 3G-S, but at the price they are selling the 3G for, I would go that route (16 GB instead of 8 if possible).

I'm assuming this is as much as I would ever put on mine. I have a 30gb ipod, so I don;t need the phone to carry all of my music. I just want to carry a few, and any applicaitons I might want.

How memory intensive are the apps?

Probably depends on which ones you have. On mine I have:

Lose It!

Shazaam

IBaller

Urbanspoon

BeerPong

DuckShoot

Google with voice search

Flick Bowling

Football

All of these only take up 18 MB. These are in addition to what comes standard on the 16gb 3G.

Probably depends on which ones you have. On mine I have:

Lose It!

Shazaam

IBaller

Urbanspoon

BeerPong

DuckShoot

Google with voice search

Flick Bowling

Football

All of these only take up 18 MB. These are in addition to what comes standard on the 16gb 3G.

Thanks Zia. This is very helpful. :wacko:

I could be wrong, but I don't think they made a 3G with 32GB. I believe 8 and 16 were the only options.

This is my understanding as well.

This is the thing Billay...

The more time goes on, the more intensive the tasks that can be done on the phone and are desirous for users to engage in will become. Really, it's like any other computer that runs software. The 3G-S is (theoretically) twice as fast as the 3G.

Also, and I can;t speak to what Zia uses, but things that take up space are more than apps and songs. Some people keep movies, some keep graphics intensive games, some keep photo albums, some store documents (PDF files and such, etc.. Nobody can really predict what another person will use their phone for, but I generally use the mantra that more is better in a device like this, mainly because the more you buy the longer it will serve you.

most of the apps don't take up much space at all. really, the question is how much music/video do you want it to store? and for that, 16GB or even 8 is fine for most folks. I've got my original 8GB iphone pretty much loaded to the gills with music (only about 200 MB dedicated to other stuff). that's holding something like 80 albums. I could easily get by walking around with much less if I needed to.

This is my understanding as well.

This is the thing Billay...

The more time goes on, the more intensive the tasks that can be done on the phone and are desirous for users to engage in will become. Really, it's like any other computer that runs software. The 3G-S is (theoretically) twice as fast as the 3G.

Also, and I can;t speak to what Zia uses, but things that take up space are more than apps and songs. Some people keep movies, some keep graphics intensive games, some keep photo albums, some store documents (PDF files and such, etc.. Nobody can really predict what another person will use their phone for, but I generally use the mantra that more is better in a device like this, mainly because the more you buy the longer it will serve you.

I understand, but by my nature, I tend to use gadgets less (and less intensely) than the average gadget consumer. I went years without a cell phone when everyone else had one. When I got one, I used it for the bare essentials. I certainly appreciate that as time goes on, apps will get more and more labor intensive, and the more memory and faster processor you have the better. In the long run though, this will be my cell phone and I will use it for that purpose. Checking email? Sure, as as mp3 player? On occasion. Playing games? Maybe 1 or 2. So long as I can still perform these basic functions for the next 3 years or so, I'm good.

most of the apps don't take up much space at all. really, the question is how much music/video do you want it to store? and for that, 16GB or even 8 is fine for most folks. I've got my original 8GB iphone pretty much loaded to the gills with music (only about 200 MB dedicated to other stuff). that's holding something like 80 albums. I could easily get by walking around with much less if I needed to.

good data here

good data here

+1

I have 51GB of music, and my 8GB iPhone is just fine. You put your favorite albums on it, change it up every few weeks, throw some apps on there, a few hundred pictures, etc... I've never felt like I needed more space.

If you want to put a handful of videos on it however, it's another story.

Are we talking storage or memory (RAM)? As far as the actual specs, the 3GS has a 600mHz processor and 256MB RAM (twice the memory of the 3G).

on a flash device like the iphone, the storage IS memory, and that is obviously what everyone was discussing with 8GB, 16GB and 32GB.

Don't forget to cruse the free apps! I dig "Ishoot" ... FREE

I would get the new model. It will display both horizontal and vertical modes in many more apps than the current variants. This is particularly important for the Email function of the phone. A phenomenal feature that for some reason they limited to only vertical viewing.

on a flash device like the iphone, the storage IS memory
There are two types of memory, volatile and non-volatile. Non-volatile is the main memory and for iPhones is measured in gigabytes. In a PC world, it's analogous to the hard drive. Anything stored in the non-volatile memory is expected to survive a power failure or the device powered down completely. Volatile memory is usually much faster and is the "working" memory that gets used while the phone is being operated. In the iPhone, this is only a fraction of the capacity of the non-volatile memory. As mentioned above, it's only 256MB I believe in the latest models.

Don't forget to cruse the free apps! I dig "Ishoot" ... FREE

I would get the new model. It will display both horizontal and vertical modes in many more apps than the current variants. This is particularly important for the Email function of the phone. A phenomenal feature that for some reason they limited to only vertical viewing.

That is available for 3G with the new 3.0 update.