[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I got a video camera

Kid Cid

Since I don't have a job I thought this is an opportune time to go out and splurge on a nice new high def video camera, you know, to help the economy. :wacko:

Anyway, now that I have the thing, I have to learn how to use it. I have some ideas as to what I ultimately want to do, but while I'm learning I'm sticking to the stuff I know. That means me and a guitar. I'm not happy with the audio (it sounds really compressed even though I didn't compress it) and I'm not thrilled with my playing (it could be cleaner) but I've got to start somewhere and this is it.

So without further ado, I give you

For anyone that works with audio or video on a regular basis, any tips, tricks, or other thoughts would be appreciated.

EDIT: Changed the link to a high def version of the video. Much better quality, especially the audio.

Edited by Kid Cid

definently nice ta see the real deal instead of guitar hero.....never heard that song before but think i'd like it more if ya mixed in some jager & ciggies with a deeper slower voice instead of the higher pitch......do ya need an Agent :wacko:

Since I don't have a job I thought this is an opportune time to go out and splurge on a nice new high def video camera, you know, to help the economy. :wacko:

Anyway, now that I have the thing, I have to learn how to use it. I have some ideas as to what I ultimately want to do, but while I'm learning I'm sticking to the stuff I know. That means me and a guitar. I'm not happy with the audio (it sounds really compressed even though I didn't compress it) and I'm not thrilled with my playing (it could be cleaner) but I've got to start somewhere and this is it.

So without further ado, I give you

For anyone that works with audio or video on a regular basis, any tips, tricks, or other thoughts would be appreciated.

My tip: Get a haircut, hippie.

jk. Sounds good.

the light you have on your face is to hot

and I might play around with the camera angle to make it more interesting.

Yeah, I was hoping that the light on the camera would help with the shadows a bit but that didn't work out. It's tough to find a spot in my house where 1) the sight lines are good 2) the background is interesting and c) the lighting is adequate. I'm hoping to not have to spring for a light kit right away, but that just may not be possible.

Yeah, I was hoping that the light on the camera would help with the shadows a bit but that didn't work out. It's tough to find a spot in my house where 1) the sight lines are good 2) the background is interesting and c) the lighting is adequate. I'm hoping to not have to spring for a light kit right away, but that just may not be possible.

you know, I'd just try putting a lamp on the floor in front of you to balance the top light.

sounds good :wacko:

Right up my alley. Go to a camera store and get some diffusion for your key light (main light hitting your body). You need some back light to capture your head,neck and shoulders. Go with a softer light and hook it up high pointing down...wrap some black wrap around it to make a cone to focus the light on just you and eliminate the spill. Next, you need to light up that backgroud alittle bit. A couple practicals (regular house lights) wrapped in diffusion would hit the spot or you can lay some of them on the ground and wrap them so that you have a cone that is hitting the wall in a few spots. Thats really a basic lighting job right there. Wish I was near you cause I'd hook you up with some movie lights. Oh and when requesting diffusion, get some opal and maybe some 250. You don't need to buy it in rolls ($100+), just buy some precut 1ft squares.

So basically, when setting up lighting for something like this:

Key light: The light that is lighting you up.

Back light: The light that is lighting the back of your head,shoulders and neck

Fill: The light that will light up the entire set if you wish

Accents: The back wall.

Practicals: Basic house lights that use regular light bulbs. Fluorescents will give off a green hue when you record unless you buy some -green (Migenta)color sheets to counter it.

What kind of light do you have if I may ask?

Right up my alley. Go to a camera store and get some diffusion for your key light (main light hitting your body). You need some back light to capture your head,neck and shoulders. Go with a softer light and hook it up high pointing down...wrap some black wrap around it to make a cone to focus the light on just you and eliminate the spill. Next, you need to light up that backgroud alittle bit. A couple practicals (regular house lights) wrapped in diffusion would hit the spot or you can lay some of them on the ground and wrap them so that you have a cone that is hitting the wall in a few spots. Thats really a basic lighting job right there. Wish I was near you cause I'd hook you up with some movie lights. Oh and when requesting diffusion, get some opal and maybe some 250. You don't need to buy it in rolls ($100+), just buy some precut 1ft squares.

So basically, when setting up lighting for something like this:

Key light: The light that is lighting you up.

Back light: The light that is lighting the back of your head,shoulders and neck

Fill: The light that will light up the entire set if you wish

Accents: The back wall.

Practicals: Basic house lights that use regular light bulbs. Fluorescents will give off a green hue when you record unless you buy some -green (Migenta)color sheets to counter it.

What kind of light do you have if I may ask?

Actually, that light above me is just a 65 watt recessed flood light on a dimmer set at about half. That's the regular room lighting. Anything else I will have to beg, borrow or steal.

Thanx for the primer on lighting. Prior to this I've been fixated on audio so I have equipment to get better sound than the built in microphones but I've got a lot to learn about the video portion of things. I suspect that this room won't be bad but a room with more reflective surfaces will present a greater challenge than just adding lights.

Actually, that light above me is just a 65 watt recessed flood light on a dimmer set at about half. That's the regular room lighting. Anything else I will have to beg, borrow or steal.

Thanx for the primer on lighting. Prior to this I've been fixated on audio so I have equipment to get better sound than the built in microphones but I've got a lot to learn about the video portion of things. I suspect that this room won't be bad but a room with more reflective surfaces will present a greater challenge than just adding lights.

Actually I love that room. Its got character and is easy on the eyes for the type of music you are playing. I can get into more detail if you would like when you're ready to buy some lighting.

BTW: You don't want a flood light as your overhead/back light. You want something with some more pop that you can narrow in onto your body. This is the light you would want to use a squeezer on since it doesn't matter all that much about losing the light intensity/color. What makes a very nice affect is sticking a piece of 1/2 CTB (Color Temperature Blue) in front of it. That flood would make an excellent Fill light with some Opal diffusion though. Just remember, when you are using a dimmer (or hand squeezer in Hollywood jargon), you lose color intensity/temperature. Just a FYI.

Think about putting up an add on Craigs List. In your area, go to Crew listings at the bottom of the main page. That is the section for all television/movie stuff. Put up an add asking if somebody can donate there lighting equipment for the day to help you out. Or you can offer to throw them some cash ($100 is at least something). I promise you, you're video will look like something on VH1.

Edited by tazinib1

After looking alot closer to your frame, I'd move you camera right. That window adds some contrast camera left. You can easily block out the reflections by using some household items. Spray the window with some hair spray. Done. No reflections. Try putting some candles or some cheap practical lighting in those nooks and crannies. I love brick cause it absorbs light very easily.

Man I wanna come over to your house and light that frame now lol.

taz, again thanx. This is giving me a lot ot think about (in a good way). I was talking with Ms Cid last night and she's going to borrow a light kit from one of her co-workers and she's also talking about going out and purchasing one as well.

I'll have to work on moving the camera to the right. I don't want to move the frame any more to the left because I have my home theater rig there and would prefer that it doesn't show up in the video. Also, there is a support beam to the right which may intefere with the shot. No wonder Hollywood just builds what they need, filming in a pre-existing house can be a real PITA. :wacko:

Have any suggestions on lighting outdoors? Specifically, I want to throw together a video of some grilling I'll be doing so I'd actually need to light the prep area in the kitchen and the grill where I'd be cooking. Thoughts?

Exterior lighting is super easy. Get yourself some foam core at home depot and use it as a bounce for your key. Just use whatever light you have and bounce it off the foam core into you. Other than that, depending on which direction you are shooting, a black blanket can be used as a negative or sheet can be used as diffusion.

If you buy or borrow a lighting kit, let me know. As of now, I'm giving you advice based on "no budget". Kinda like a McGiver do-it-yourself thing.

Edited by tazinib1