[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What does Carl Spackler say in this clip? link in post

Seahawks21

Caddyshack fans--help us settle this debate  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What does Carl Spackler say at 2:18 in this clip

• "I have to laugh, because I've out-finessed myself"
    • "I have to laugh, because I've often asked myself"

Working at a golf shop, we here are all Caddyshack fanatics. There has been a debate going on for a while here (way too heated!) about what Carl Spackler says in this clip, at the 2:18 mark

Carl Spackler clip--go to 2:18

Who would think he said "I've out-finessed myself ????" That doesn't even make any sense. He definitely says "I've often asked myself"

:wacko:

Beautiful!

I have to laugh...

...because I've often asked myself...

...my foe, my enemy, is an animal.

In order to conquer him...

Edit to add: This appears to just be someone's transcript, so, nevermind, it proves nothing, but, I'm 100% sure that he didn't say "I've out-finessed myself"

Edited by Menudo

Beautiful!

I have to laugh...

Edit to add: This appears to just be someone's transcript, so, nevermind, it proves nothing, but, I'm 100% sure that he didn't say "I've out-finessed myself"

My thing is, I don't understand the context of "i've often asked myself". Wouldn't that imply that there is a question somewhere?? Yet there is no question before or after this line. If the line is "i've often asked myself", what is he asking? Look at the context. There is no question in there anywhere.

You're right about the script. We looked too. But since this movie was like 90% ad-libbed, I highly doubt any of this speech was ever written down. Any script you see will just be somebody's interpretation.

I personally thought it was, "I have to laugh, because I'm all finesse myself", but people threw that in the garbage. When you think about it, the finesse line is a lot funnier. "I have to laugh, because I've out-finessed myself" is pretty funny when you think about the character. I don't see how "I have to laugh, because I've often asked myself" is funny, or what is has to do with anything. "I have to laugh, because I've often asked myself WHAT?!?!?" What did you often ask yourself Carl???

Edited by Seahawks21

Beautiful!

I have to laugh...

Because I've often asked myself...this is it. Remember Seahawks: Cark is NOT all there. Who knows why he says what he says? Especially since it's nearly all ad-libbed.

The more I research this, the more I think I'm right. I've run across a few people on various message boards and things that have the sigline: I have to laugh, because I've out-finessed myself. Not sure that this is proof of any kind, but I find far less info on "I have to laugh, because I've often asked myself"

The more I research this, the more I think I'm right. I've run across a few people on various message boards and things that have the sigline: I have to laugh, because I've out-finessed myself. Not sure that this is proof of any kind, but I find far less info on "I have to laugh, because I've often asked myself"

Sorry, you're out of your mind.......... :wacko:

The more I research this, the more I think I'm right. I've run across a few people on various message boards and things that have the sigline: I have to , because I've out-finessed myself. Not sure that this is proof of any kind, but I find far less info on "I have to laugh, because I've often asked myself"

Really.....

Here is a google search of Caddyshack "I've often asked myself" :wacko:

Pages and page and pages of results - 794 total results

Here is a google search of Caddyshack "I've out-finessed myself"

7 total results

794 to 7.......yeah, you're probably right.

I have to laugh, because I've often asked myself. My foe, my enemy....

I have to laugh because I've often asked myself? You don't bring me flowers...ANYMORE! does that even mean? He is making a statement. There is no question there at all. What has Carl Spackler often asked himself??

You have to at least admit that "I have to laugh, because I've out-finessed myself" works a lot better, especially in the context.

. I may be wrong, sure, but "I've often asked myself" makes no sense whatsoever, gramatically or in comedic context. Bill Murray was on such a roll, I don't think he would have come up with something that makes zero sense whatsoever. If he did, I think they would have left it on the cutting room floor.

I have to laugh, because I've often asked myself. My foe, my enemy....

I have to laugh because I've often asked myself? You don't bring me flowers...ANYMORE! does that even mean? He is making a statement. There is no question there at all. What has Carl Spackler often asked himself??

You have to at least admit that "I have to laugh, because I've out-finessed myself" works a lot better, especially in the context.

. I may be wrong, sure, but "I've often asked myself" makes no sense whatsoever, gramatically or in comedic context. Bill Murray was on such a roll, I don't think he would have come up with something that makes zero sense whatsoever. If he did, I think they would have left it on the cutting room floor.

You are someone who doesn't like to admit he is wrong, aren't you. 794 results on one search, 7 on the other. You were wrong, move on. :D

You think "I've out-finessed myself" makes more sense than "I've often asked myself" :wacko:

You are someone who doesn't like to admit he is wrong, aren't you. 794 results on one search, 7 on the other. You were wrong, move on. :D

You think "I've out-finessed myself" makes more sense than "I've often asked myself" :wacko:

In this context, yes, yes I do. When you write it in the context it was presented in the film, doesn't "I've often asked myself" imply that he often asks himself something?

The results of this poll to date don't exactly make it seem like a one-sided argument.

What is happening or has happened in the movie at that moment that would indicate he just did something to out-finesse himself? He just finished cutting new holes in the greens :wacko:

On the other hand, it's Carl Spackler...stating he often asks himself something and then going on to not really ask himself anything, is exactly something his character would do. :D

What is happening or has happened in the movie at that moment that would indicate he just did something to out-finesse himself? He just finished cutting new holes in the greens :wacko:

On the other hand, it's Carl Spackler...stating he often asks himself something and then going on to not really ask himself anything, is exactly something his character would do. :D

I agree with this. i did entertain the out -finesse himself line for a moment but that doesn't make any sense either. I think as stated above he's just saying i often ask myself and then leaves it hanging.

And yep, it's saturday night and i've got nothing better to do than spend 10 minutes thinking about this. :D

His tactic to that point was to flush him out using water. I believe this is what he is referencing by using too much finesse. During the scene in question, he is turning the clay models into explosives. According to Spackler, I believe this is the opposite of finesse. He isn't finessing them anymore, instead he is going to go right in and blow up the gopher.

His tactic to that point was to flush him out using water. I believe this is what he is referencing by using too much finesse. During the scene in question, he is turning the clay models into explosives. According to Spackler, I believe this is the opposite of finesse. He isn't finessing them anymore, instead he is going to go right in and blow up the gopher.

I agree with this. That's why he goes on to explain that his enemy is an animal. Finesse isn't going to work.