[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hotel internet connectivity - Question....

Cunning Runt

We're having our FF draft next month and are using a Residence Inn Suite.

There will be multiple laptops there, but the room is not wireless - it's hardwired with a single connecting cord.

Do they make "spltters" so the room cord provided could plug into an adapter that multiple laptops could then hook into - like a cable splitter?

Or would a router work in a hotel room to allow the room to become wireless?

I honestly don't know the answer to either of these questions. The room is free, so we're locked in to the location. I'm just trying to figure out how more people are able to connect.

Thoughts?

Edited by Cunning Runt

The brand standard for Residence Inn is wireless internet access in all guest rooms. I am shocked that this particular location does not offer it in the rooms. Have you called to be sure?

Sometimes, many hotels will not have wireless in every room, but will hook up a special converter to their plug-in to convert the room to wireless. They usually have a limited amount of these at the front desk (at no charge)...we used to have them in our Embassy Suites until we converted the whole property to wireless. And no, you cannot plug your own router into their system to make it work. Call and reserve a converter before you arrive.

At worst, the lobby likely has wireless...depending on the location of your suite, you might be able to pick it up. Can you ask for a room close to the main guesthouse? Or just call to let them know multiple guests in your suite need to connect...I am sure its not the first time they've had that request.

Just curious...What location are you staying at?

I would ask the people at the hotel itself. I've been to a few places that say they don't on their web site but actually do. FWIW we usually stay at Mariott hotels, which Residence is, and they have all had wireless including the one I'm staying in now.

We're having our FF draft next month and are using a Residence Inn Suite.

There will be multiple laptops there, but the room is not wireless - it's hardwired with a single connecting cord.

Do they make "spltters" so the room cord provided could plug into an adapter that multiple laptops could then hook into - like a cable splitter?

Or would a router work in a hotel room to allow the room to become wireless?

I honestly don't know the answer to either of these questions. The room is free, so we're locked in to the location. I'm just trying to figure out how more people are able to connect.

Thoughts?

The thing you are describing is called a Hub. It should work, but will take some monkeying around with by someone that knows something. I've never tried to put a hub on one of those hotel-logging-in-through-a-website things.

The thing you are describing is called a Hub. It should work, but will take some monkeying around with by someone that knows something. I've never tried to put a hub on one of those hotel-logging-in-through-a-website things.

A hub is a dumb device, pretty much, that takes very little fiddling with. Older hubs used to need a crossover type network cable from the wall jack to port 1. These have a different wiring config internally.

The brand standard for Residence Inn is wireless internet access in all guest rooms. I am shocked that this particular location does not offer it in the rooms. Have you called to be sure?

Sometimes, many hotels will not have wireless in every room, but will hook up a special converter to their plug-in to convert the room to wireless. They usually have a limited amount of these at the front desk (at no charge)...we used to have them in our Embassy Suites until we converted the whole property to wireless. And no, you cannot plug your own router into their system to make it work. Call and reserve a converter before you arrive.

At worst, the lobby likely has wireless...depending on the location of your suite, you might be able to pick it up. Can you ask for a room close to the main guesthouse? Or just call to let them know multiple guests in your suite need to connect...I am sure its not the first time they've had that request.

Just curious...What location are you staying at?

Well, I made the reservation in person and the GM on duty said that it's hard-wired - not wireless but that they had wireless in the lobby. It's at the Residence Inn SW in Fort Wayne, IN.

Well, I made the reservation in person and the GM on duty said that it's hard-wired - not wireless but that they had wireless in the lobby. It's at the Residence Inn SW in Fort Wayne, IN.

Called an older Residence Inn in our area just out of curiosity, and they too are hard-wired...but have six converters that can be checked-out from the front desk. I asked why they are not wireless, and they said the older Residence Inns (which are pods, not one large building) are not required to have wireless (grandfathered in). Likely your case, too.

Best bet is to call and see of they can reserve a converter/hub for your suite....or see if you can buy one retail, use it for that night, then return it the next daty to the store :wacko:

Called an older Residence Inn in our area just out of curiosity, and they too are hard-wired...but have six converters that can be checked-out from the front desk. I asked why they are not wireless, and they said the older Residence Inns (which are pods, not one large building) are not required to have wireless (grandfathered in). Likely your case, too.

Best bet is to call and see of they can reserve a converter/hub for your suite....or see if you can buy one retail, use it for that night, then return it the next daty to the store :wacko:

Just called the place. This one has no converters...at all.

What's this "hub" thing? Does it allow things to be wireless or would each machine be hard-wired? Not just to Swammi - just happened to reply to his last post.

Thanks!