[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bier - Detlef

Brentastic

If my huddle trivia is correct, you are both chefs in the Denver area. Well, the weekend of Aug 1, I will be in Aspen for a wedding. That Thursday (July 30) me and a few other couples are looking for a good steakhouse to go to in Aspen. Can either of you recommend anything? I'm not looking for hoitee toitee, small portion gourmet - just a good solid steakhouse ala Gibson's (here in Chicago). Specifically, if there is anything with colossal lobster tails, that would be a plus. Please let me know what you got!

Thanks.

i am an hour west of denver (live near breckenridge, keystone, copper, vail) and am about 2-3 hrs from aspen. as i am not a steakhouse guy, i haven't been to any in aspen. there is a ruth chris out there and i have heard good things about a place called jimmy's.

though not steak houses, the hotel jerome and ski chalet are going to give you a nice steak (though not many choices in cut).

det and i are both from northern california originally

In order or all great? Also, do any of them have especially good lobster tail? Any other info is welcomed too :wacko:

i was just brainstorming. i don't think any specialize in lobster tail. only some will have it on their menus. there is a place called pacifica seafood brasserie that might carry it, but they are a bit eclectic adn not a straight forward seafood restaurant that i have encountered in SF, NY, Seattle, Southern california and florida.

edit: check menus and see what appeals to you. also........ where are you flying into? if you are coming and going via dia and have time to stop and say hi, i'd love to grab a drink with you.

Edited by Bier Meister

i was just brainstorming. i don't think any specialize in lobster tail. only some will have it on their menus. there is a place called pacifica seafood brasserie that might carry it, but they are a bit eclectic adn not a straight forward seafood restaurant that i have encountered in SF, NY, Seattle, Southern california and florida.

edit: check menus and see what appeals to you. also........ where are you flying into? if you are coming and going via dia and have time to stop and say hi, i'd love to grab a drink with you.

Flying into Denver then driving to Aspen. Would love to meet up for a drink but my wife and I are renting a car with another couple and I think everyone wants to get into Aspen right away.

Thanks for all your suggestions - I will look at some menus and make a call. I will let you know where I eat and give my review, if you will.

• 1 month later...
....love to hear a report of the restaurants you went to.

Nothing spectacular.

First night was the only real night of a dinner since the following two nights were the rehearsal dinner then wedding.

First night the couple we were with thought Ruth's Chris would be the best option (safe), I disagreed, and while I normally get my way, I just didn't feel like arguing about it. I had never been to one and steak is always good, so I obliged. HORRIBLE decision - don't know if they aren't on their game because Aspen is small, but it was really, REALLY bad - at least relative to cost and reputation. I know I'm spoiled with Gibson's here in Chicago, but RC was just waaayy overrated and underwhelming. I will not go again.

The only local place I ate at was the following day for lunch. Went to the town information center and they 'highly' recommended some Italian place (name eludes me) - especially after telling them I was a bit of a food snob. Went there and again, HORRIBLE. Want to say the place started with an M....

On a positive note, the rehearsal dinner was catered by the groom's good friend who owns a barbeque place. Again, can't remember the name of the barbeque place but it was top-notch BBQ. The guy who owns it learned all his tricks in Chicago then went on traveling accross the country doing BBQ - won a bunch of awards etc... I gotta say, GREAT BBQ!!

Finally, the wedding dinner was simply phenominal. I've had all ranges of wedding food but I gotta say the Filet was stellar and everyone couldn't believe it was wedding Filet.

The wedding and reception were on top of Aspen mountain - beautiful, pristine and perfect. The best wedding I've attended. On the way down from the mountain on the gondola, I smoked a HUGH joint - it was great!!!!

Loved Aspen and would love to go back - when I do I look forward to trying some of your recommendations.

would'nt it be cool to have Bier and Detlef do an iron chef cook off? I'd pay for that.... and could care less who would win, I just want to eat food they cooked! :wacko:

Today's secret ingredient. . . .

is. . . .

PIGSKIN!!!

i would give you a braised, shreaded sheik wrapped chicharron with a sweet and spicy harrissa and tomatillos sauces over homemade corn [rickbayless] tor- tee- yaaaaas [/rickbayless] with a combo of queso fresco, queso oaxaca, and cotija. with a rovers tamale on the side

i would give you a braised, shreaded sheik wrapped chicharron with a sweet and spicy harrissa and tomatillos sauces over homemade corn [rickbayless] tor- tee- yaaaaas [/rickbayless] with a combo of queso fresco, queso oaxaca, and cotija. with a rovers tamale on the side

:wacko:

:divingboard:

would'nt it be cool to have Bier and Detlef do an iron chef cook off? I'd pay for that.... and could care less who would win, I just want to eat food they cooked! :wacko:

Today's secret ingredient. . . .

is. . . .

PIGSKIN!!!

:D I quit reading the thread when I realized that the question wasn't (or rather shouldn't have been) directed towards me. Glad I checked back in.

Well, hell, Bier already stole Mexican...