[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hospital Defends Deportation of Patient

Perchoutofwater

Sad case. I would have to defend the hospital in their actions though. They have more than met any moral obligation that they may have had by treating the guy for free for 3 years. His home country agreed that they could take care of him. He wanted to go home. I'm fine with how they acted.

In general, not in particular to this case, I think that every U.S. citizen should be able to detain and deport proven illegal aliens, since our government is incapable of doing so. We have the right to defend our borders. It's one of the few legitimate things that our government is supposed to be doing for us but is admittedly failing at... miserably.

I part ways with the traditional liberal attitude on this whole illegal immigration deal. There is no arguing with the word "illegal" however much sympathy you might have with their reasons for coming here.

We definitely do need to provide a better legal immigration system for guest workers though - so many issues could be resolved if we did.

Very interesting case on many levels. On one hand you have the "moral" issues involved with the long term care of a patient that cannot pay for his care, and is not a citizen of the country paying for his care. On the other hand, you have the fiscal realities of a business looking out for its bottom line profits.

I can see why the hospital did an end around the immigration issue by providing him with a chartered flight and communicting directly with teh Guatemalan health agency. They then avoided a long, and expensive legal battle while still providing care. I actually thought I was an elegant solution to a very difficult situation.

The hospital paid for transport of a citizen back to his country. The only issue I see is that of a private company deporting a citizen. BUT, it isnt like they will bring him back to the US, because he is an illegal alien.

**personal aside**

I was in a very bad car crash in Canada. I was sent to a different hospital then two of my friends that were very badly hurt. Because I was not a Canadian citizen, I was required to pay by cash or credit card before the hospital I was at would release me to be with my friends. The hospital cops detain anyone that cannot pay until payment is rendered. I was able to pay, but I dont know what the situation would have been if I could NOT have paid, would I have been arrested? Deported? . . . . . I understand that they neeed to be compensated for services rendered, and do not have a problem with how they handled the situation.

It just comes back to how cowardly our federal govt has been for YEARS on the issue of illegal immigrants and how soft the situation has become. If only those damn border states would start building walls or something . . . .lol.

I part ways with the traditional liberal attitude on this whole illegal immigration deal. There is no arguing with the word "illegal" however much sympathy you might have with their reasons for coming here.

We definitely do need to provide a better legal immigration system for guest workers though - so many issues could be resolved if we did.

Aside from the Hispanic demographic, I'm not convinced the "traditional liberal attitude" is blocking illegal immigration enforcement/reform. I would venture that certain segments of the business sector are the single greatest force responsible for the status quo. They're just not outwardly vocal about it.

In general, not in particular to this case, I think that every U.S. citizen should be able to detain and deport proven illegal aliens, since our government is incapable of doing so. We have the right to defend our borders. It's one of the few legitimate things that our government is supposed to be doing for us but is admittedly failing at... miserably.

+1,000,000,000

There is a process to come into this country legally. I have NO sympathy for those who fail to use it and instead do so illegally. Most are hard-working, family-oriented people, but still, they have broken our laws and do not deserve our freedoms.

Edited by The Wolf

Liberals must have kept any immigration reform from passing when Republicans controlled all branches of government for 6 years. Tricky liberals.

Bush was soft on immigration and got plenty of criticism from the right for that.

Do you realize that unless your local and/or State Police go through specialized training that they cannot legally detain people solely because they are not documented as being citizens or permitted visitors nor can they begin deportation proceedings? For example, here in VA, Prince William County was having a significant issue with illegals, especially at the county hospital. It cost the County over $250,000 to get this specialized training from the Feds for the County police. There was quite the big stink about it because of the cost and the perceived injustice to the Hispanic community in PWC. However, once the police were able to begin detaining people based on whether they were here legally or not, the number of illegal residents in PWC dropped dramatically. In addition, the hospital saved over $1 milllion over the first two years after the training so it paid for itself in a big way.

The point is, not every municipality will have the budgitary benefits that PWC had so they most likely won't spring for the training from the Feds. Which is a shame.