[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer problem (?)

muck

Every night for the last couple of weeks, some time between 9pm and midnight, my desktop decides to quit talking to my server. Upon rebooting, the 'puter works fine.

Thoughts?

Wired or wireless?

Either way it could be the router. Have you called your ISP? If you leave it alone will it finally reconnect?

Wireless mouse and keyboard. Wires for everything else.

I don't know how to "check my router". I have not called my ISP. It will not reconnect on its own.

Wireless mouse and keyboard. Wires for everything else.

I don't know how to "check my router". I have not called my ISP. It will not reconnect on its own.

You could try swapping out the router and see if that fixes it.(If it doesn't you can return the router)

Have you tried looking in the router's s/w to see if a schedule has been set? This is not typical and is not a default setting.

Have you tried reconnecting manually?

Swapping it out would still be the easiest test.

You could try swapping out the router and see if that fixes it.(If it doesn't you can return the router)

Have you tried looking in the router's s/w to see if a schedule has been set? This is not typical and is not a default setting.

Have you tried reconnecting manually?

Swapping it out would still be the easiest test.

What is a "S/W"?

...fwiw, I haven't changed anything on my system (no new hardware or software), and then the nightly shutdown occurs...

Let's start from teh beginning here. Please define "my desktop decides to quit talking to my server". Also what operating systems are bing run on both the desktop and the server? Like RR, I assume that there is only one device connecting both the router and server, but it's possible that you have more. Know the network topology might herlp here. Does this happen in the act of the the two communicating or only when things are quiet?

What is a "S/W"?

...fwiw, I haven't changed anything on my system (no new hardware or software), and then the nightly shutdown occurs...

s/w = software

As Kid asked...are we talking one router and several hard wired devices? That is, give us a description:

1 server

1 router

2 PC's

1 printer

etc....

s/w = software

As Kid asked...are we talking one router and several hard wired devices? That is, give us a description:

1 server

1 router

2 PC's

1 printer

etc....

Server has one printer and two desktops plugged into it.

My computer has a dedicated printer as well.

Because I sublet an office, my server accesses the internet via the "host company" server to the outside world.

When my 'puter craps out, I can still access the internet, but I cannot access the files on my own server (unless I reboot).

Both desktops are running WinXPPro, the server is a Dell and it's running whatever would have been a "MSFT server" software that would have been appropriate four years or so ago when I bought the server (but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head).

Server has one printer and two desktops plugged into it.

My computer has a dedicated printer as well.

Because I sublet an office, my server accesses the internet via the "host company" server to the outside world.

When my 'puter craps out, I can still access the internet, but I cannot access the files on my own server (unless I reboot).

Both desktops are running WinXPPro, the server is a Dell and it's running whatever would have been a "MSFT server" software that would have been appropriate four years or so ago when I bought the server (but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head).

Except for what I already said (Swap out the router) I'll defer to Kid.

Kid???

I just got booted off the network / server.

I head over to my assistant's computer, and have no problem accessing the server.

If I click on the server from the "explore" tab after I've been booted off, I get an error message that tells me that I may have a security issue.

This doesn't feel like hardware, it feels like software. I think we should start by looking at the server. We're going to need to do a little digging to figure out what is going on here. So you're a small office running some type of M$ server software. When you log into the desktop, does it ask you for a domain to log into? Does your server run Exchange (email) or SQL Server (database) or is it solely for printer and file sharing?

BTW, I've seen this before, I just can't remember exactly what the issue was. It may take a while to nail down the exact cause so please bear with me. If this jogs the memory of anyone else out there, it would be appreciated if you chime in.

Edited by Kid Cid

Right so I need to know what OS the server is running. It's possible that users are only allowed on during certain times. However if this was the case, you would be booted at exactly the same time every day. The more I think about it, this is probably not the case.

Let's try this. On your desktop that gets kicked, Open the Control Panel, click on Performance and Maintenance, click on Administrative tools, then double click on Event Viewer. This is a log of all the events that your computer knows about. Click on each one of the entries, then from the menu, select Action and the Save File As. Do this for each one, attache the logs to an email and send them to me. There may be a clue residing there.

By the time I'm done with you I swear you'll know a thing or two about computers, however, I'm not going to ask you to decipher a log file yet. :wacko:

Muck try this

On your desktop that gets kicked, Open the Control Panel, click on Performance and Maintenance, click on Administrative tools, then double click on Event Viewer. This is a log of all the events that your computer knows about. Click on each one of the entries, then from the menu, select Action and the Save File As. Do this for each one, attache the logs to an email and send them to me. There may be a clue residing there.

edit to add- Kid Cid beat me to it

Edited by whomper

Muck try this

On your desktop that gets kicked, Open the Control Panel, click on Performance and Maintenance, click on Administrative tools, then double click on Event Viewer. This is a log of all the events that your computer knows about. Click on each one of the entries, then from the menu, select Action and the Save File As. Do this for each one, attache the logs to an email and send them to me. There may be a clue residing there.

edit to add- Kid Cid beat me to it

:wacko::D