[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RB Handcuffs

STL Fan

This has been discussed in past years, and with more RBBC going on it's even more interesting. My opinion is that drafting a handcuff isn't worth a draft pick if you're not prepared to start that guy if the #1 goes down. I see guys all the time draft a handcuff and then when the #1 goes down, they leave the handcuff on the bench and start some other scrub. If he's not startable, why waste a draft pick on him?

That said, who are the obvious handcuffs this year? It's frustrating in many places because as a St. Louisan and Rams fan who is fairly plugged in, I can tell you there is NO obvious handcuff for SJax. The RB2 situation here is a cluster.

So after Sproles, who ya' got that deserves a roster spot in average-size leagues?

This has been discussed in past years, and with more RBBC going on it's even more interesting. My opinion is that drafting a handcuff isn't worth a draft pick if you're not prepared to start that guy if the #1 goes down. I see guys all the time draft a handcuff and then when the #1 goes down, they leave the handcuff on the bench and start some other scrub. If he's not startable, why waste a draft pick on him?

I guess because there are a lot of FF sheelples and they read a few articles on some FF sites where some dorky so-called "experts" advised it.

FF handcuffs are almost never worth it and usually a questionable if not outright stupid move because there are better options available. Nice to see someone else gets it though :wacko:

I read a post here on the huddle, and I can't remember who wrote it, but they were in an auction league and had paid a tremendous amount for Priest Holmes. Someone else paid a very small amount for Larry Johnson, and that year Holmes got hurt and Larry Johnson emerged.

In a dynasty league, I think if you can acquire the backup for a reasonable price, it's a good insurance policy. In a redraft league, I'm less inclined to waste a spot unless you already know it's a quality backup, who is being used on a regular basis. However, if you think the handcuff has tremendous upside, then that means you would probably start that backup if your stud went down.

This year the Chicago Bears plan to utilize Kevin Jones a lot more. People forget that Kevin Jones was a good running back before his injury, so he has value even as the RB2 in Chicago. This year, in a new dynasty league (salary cap $1000) that I'm in the owner paid $258 for Matt Forte, whereas I paid $2 for Kevin Jones. To me, Kevin Jones has the potential to be a flex play. I think it's a mistake not to grab him if I'm the Forte owner.

Other examples would include Bernard Scott or Brian Leonard for Cedric Benson. The reason is because Scott has so much upside.

St. Louis is a good example of a RB situation where no backup is known to have much upside, so I would refrain. Still, in a dynasty league, especially a salary cap one, if I had a huge investment in Steven Jackson, I would do a lot of research to see if anyone was excited about any of the other options there. At this time, it doesn't sound like they are.

If the backup has a good upside or the offensive line is so good that almost any RB is going to flourish, then I say you get the backup.

I read a post here on the huddle, and I can't remember who wrote it, but they were in an auction league and had paid a tremendous amount for Priest Holmes. Someone else paid a very small amount for Larry Johnson, and that year Holmes got hurt and Larry Johnson emerged.

:wacko:or the inverse

Well I can see your points here. IMO must handcuffs are as follows:

McCoy for Westy=No brainer here

Fred Jackson for Lynch=At least for the 1st 3 games

Donald Brown for Addai=If Addai stinks it up or when he gets hurt then Brown will get increased touches, which IMO will happen either way.

J. Stew for D Will=Stew gets the touches no matter what but grab him for insurance anyway.

Mendenhall for Parker=This is a forgon conclusion that Parker cant stay healthy nor will he be able to handle the every down back role.

Greene for T. Jones=Jones is getting older and bitching about his contract. Greene may be the #1 guy there in a short time. IMO T.Jones gets traded before the season, just my 2 cents.

Felix Jones for Barber=Jones may be picked up anyway not just for a handcuff but for actual fantasy value because he shown last season he can be an explosive player. Besides Barber CANNOT handle the entire season as the featured back.

There may be more but these are the ones that pop out at me.

Edited by RJV

First let me say that I won't reach just to have my #1's handcuff and honestly would rather diversify and have players (options to choose from) from different teams. I will fill out my roster with starters and solid depth and then if my cuffs are still around (not likely), surely scoop them up. Here's a list of guys who I feel make sense cuffing...

LT - Sproles

Westy - McCoy

Portis - Betts

Lynch - Fred Jackson (although Jackson will have his own value aside from lynch and can at times go earlier than I'm willing to grab him)

Addai - Brown (same as above but worse- the issue here is that Brown is being taken fairly early so IMO, I'd rather pass on Addai and take who I think will be the better player (Brown) later in the year)

To a lesser extent...

Larry Johnson - Jamaal Charles ( sort of like the Addai-Brown situation)

Wells - Hightower

Thomas Jones - Shonn Greene

ADP - Taylor

Gore - Coffee (large leagues)

Jacobs - Bradshaw

Ward - Graham ( and he's being had on the cheap to this point)

Edited by irish

If I were to handcuff Thomas Jones, it would be with Leon Washington, not Shon Greene. I find it interesting that so many people think TJ is practically gone as a Jet or that his production will fall off a clif. He LED the AFC in rushing last year, and the new HC wants to pound the ball this year. A rookie will replace that? I'm not saying Jones will match last years numbers, but geeze.... why would the Jest tarde him or sit him on the bench?

If Jones goes down, the guy that will get most of his reps is Washington... not Greene. Jones is a versatile RB, can pick up the blitz, can run and catch. He isn't great at any of those things, but he's good at all of them. Greene is slow afoot, he isn't nearly as versatile as jones, he is not a good 1st or 2nd down RB, while Washington lacks inside power, is much more versatile, and would step in for Jones if he got hurt... and forget about TJ getting traded... aint gonna happen.

Back on topic, some RB's should be handcuffed, like Westbrook... take him early, get some injury insurance, cheaply, late in a draft. Who would you handcuff for TB? Ward for Graham, or Graham for Ward? In general, I'd rather take a Leon Washington over a Sproles handcuff.... meaning, I don't think much of most handcuffs. Having said that, if I drafted Addai, I'd be looking for D Brown too. Handcuffing Indy RB's has been a solid appraoch for a long time now...

First let me say that I won't reach just to have my #1's handcuff and honestly would rather diversify and have players (options to choose from) from different teams. I will fill out my roster with starters and solid depth and then if my cuffs are still around (not likely), surely scoop them up. Here's a list of guys who I feel make sense cuffing...

LT - Sproles

Westy - McCoy

Portis - Betts

Lynch - Fred Jackson (although Jackson will have his own value aside from lynch and can at times go earlier than I'm willing to grab him)

Addai - Brown (same as above but worse- the issue here is that Brown is being taken fairly early so IMO, I'd rather pass on Addai and take who I think will be the better player (Brown) later in the year)

To a lesser extent...

Larry Johnson - Jamaal Charles ( sort of like the Addai-Brown situation)

Wells - Hightower

Thomas Jones - Shonn Greene

ADP - Taylor

Gore - Coffee (large leagues)

Jacobs - Bradshaw

Ward - Graham ( and he's being had on the cheap to this point)

Irish, this is what I mean about being willing to start a guy if you take him as a handcuff. Would you really plug all these guys in your starting lineup if the #1 went down ahead of him or are some of them in situations where if RB1 goes down, the running attack is so damaged that the handcuff is useless? I think it's different if you're talking about taking a shot at a young guy (like Brown) who has upside and may emerge as the #1. That makes perfect sense to me with a late draft pick.

And to the comment someone else made about Sproles not being LT's handcuff because one is a RB1 and one is a CoP back. C'mon, for our purposes here they play the exact same position if LT were to go down - feature back. If LT goes down, Sproles carries the load. It helps Sproles that he also gets carries when LT is fine, but he is definitely the handcuff for LT.

Edited by STL Fan

If I were to handcuff Thomas Jones, it would be with Leon Washington, not Shon Greene. I find it interesting that so many people think TJ is practically gone as a Jet or that his production will fall off a clif. He LED the AFC in rushing last year, and the new HC wants to pound the ball this year. A rookie will replace that? I'm not saying Jones will match last years numbers, but geeze.... why would the Jest tarde him or sit him on the bench?

If Jones goes down, the guy that will get most of his reps is Washington... not Greene. Jones is a versatile RB, can pick up the blitz, can run and catch. He isn't great at any of those things, but he's good at all of them. Greene is slow afoot, he isn't nearly as versatile as jones, he is not a good 1st or 2nd down RB, while Washington lacks inside power, is much more versatile, and would step in for Jones if he got hurt... and forget about TJ getting traded... aint gonna happen.

Back on topic, some RB's should be handcuffed, like Westbrook... take him early, get some injury insurance, cheaply, late in a draft. Who would you handcuff for TB? Ward for Graham, or Graham for Ward? In general, I'd rather take a Leon Washington over a Sproles handcuff.... meaning, I don't think much of most handcuffs. Having said that, if I drafted Addai, I'd be looking for D Brown too. Handcuffing Indy RB's has been a solid appraoch for a long time now...

I feel same way about Washington that I feel about guys like Donald Brown and Lendale White. They each have their own value regardless of what happens to the starter. I do not view Washington as Jones' cuff because Washington has his own separate role regardless of what happens to Jones. Sure, like White, if Jones got hurt Washington's value would increase but the RB who would see the biggest increase in touches would be Greene taking Jones' place as the inside runner while Washington still played the explosive/versatile role. There are more than a view of these situations and as STL FAN said above, there is a big difference between handcuffs and RBBCs.

Handcuffs would be guys like Coffee for Gore, McCoy for Westy, Brandon Jackson for Grant, Betts for Portis (although he has even a bit more value than just a cuff). Jonathan Stewart and Lendale White are not handcuffs, although their value would increase with an injury to their fellow RBBCmate, they already have decent value in their own roles.

Irish, this is what I mean about being willing to start a guy if you take him as a handcuff. Would you really plug all these guys in your starting lineup if the #1 went down ahead of him or are some of them in situations where if RB1 goes down, the running attack is so damaged that the handcuff is useless? I think it's different if you're talking about taking a shot at a young guy (like Brown) who has upside and may emerge as the #1. That makes perfect sense to me with a late draft pick.

And to the comment someone else made about Sproles not being LT's handcuff because one is a RB1 and one is a CoP back. C'mon, for our purposes here they play the exact same position if LT were to go down - feature back. If LT goes down, Sproles carries the load. It helps Sproles that he also gets carries when LT is fine, but he is definitely the handcuff for LT.

Solid point and let's take a look at the group I mentioned and again all of them are not strictly cuffs as some of the situations are RBBCs.

LT - Sproles --Sproles to me is a must have cuff and I would plug him in, in place of LT. Sproles will have his own value though so even non-LT owners should grab him late. However, if LT went down Gartrell Johnson would also have some solid value as well and make for a nice WW pickup. I think the Chargers even view him as the heir apparent to LT and keeping Sproles in his CoP role.

Westy - McCoy --McCOy is a must have cuff and I'd plug him in for Westy. I wouldn't just draft McCoy if I didn't have Westy as I would Sproles or Fred Jackson.

Portis - Betts --Betts is a must have cuff for Portis and I'd plug him in in Portis' absence.

Lynch - Fred Jackson (although Jackson will have his own value aside from lynch and can at times go earlier than I'm willing to grab him) -- I'd like to get Jackson just because Lynch is missing 3 games on suspension but I view Jackson as I do Sproles and would start Jackson in place of Lynch if he went down.

Addai - Brown (same as above but worse- the issue here is that Brown is being taken fairly early so IMO, I'd rather pass on Addai and take who I think will be the better player (Brown) later in the year) --Again I view Brown as I do Sproles and Fred Jackson but would grab him even early than either of those two as I feel that he'll take Addai's job sooner rather than later whether because of injuries or because of poor play. I would certianly start Brown in place of Addai when he gets hurt.

To a lesser extent...

Larry Johnson - Jamaal Charles ( sort of like the Addai-Brown situation) --I think Charles will have his own value as well but I'm sure I would start him in place of LJ if LJ went down.

Wells - Hightower --One goes down, I'd start the other.

Thomas Jones - Shonn Greene --Jones goes down, Greene would split with Washington and should get GL touches so he'd fill right in.

ADP - Taylor --If ADP went down, I'd surely start Taylor in place of him.

Gore - Coffee (large leagues) --Coffee is basically only being drafted in larger leagues and at that point if Gore went down, Coffee might be you're only option left. Otherwise, in smaller leagues where he wasn't drafted, Coffee would become the week's favorite WW pickup.

Jacobs - Bradshaw --Bradshaw will have his own value in this offense and if Jacobs went down he might be a guy where that value wouldn't change much as the G-men would use Ware and Andre Brown along with Bradshaw, so his value really wouldn't increase too much.

Ward - Graham ( and he's being had on the cheap to this point) --One goes down, I absolutely start the other. Graham is a great RB to grab this year as he's being had at such a nice value.

No love for SlimDale White huh? Big mistake.

Agreed with STL Fan. White has his own value and sure he would certainly gain tremendous value if CJ got hurt but you don't need an injury to CJ for White to be effective.

Edited by irish

I think what some people are mistaking, or forgeting about re: the Jets situation is that Greene is a rookie, and while the Jets will be a run oriented offense, can Greene pick up a blitz on first or second down? Or be a reliable outlet check down out of the backfield? Greene is a complete unknown in those aspects of his talents/experience. Until proven otherwise, he is a power back, a role player.

I find it incredulous.... last year's leading rusher in the AFC could be so easilly replaced? :wacko: These opinions fly in the face of facts and history. I'd be happy to wager that Jones, barring injury, will be the primary RB for the Jets this year in terms of touches and snaps, and starts (if healthy) every single game on the schedule. Sig bets, small cash bets, either way.... I'm game.

Should Jones get hurt, sure, Greene would see more work, but far and away, it would benefit Washington much more.

Reminds me of the year I predicted Curtis Martin to bounce back and have a good year. I was wrong.... he won the rushing title and had double diigt TD's. Martin had been pronounced all but dead.... now it's Jones' turn... he's dead meat.

Ward - Graham ( and he's being had on the cheap to this point) --One goes down, I absolutely start the other. Graham is a great RB to grab this year as he's being had at such a nice value.

For what its worth, Ward is gonna fill the same role he had last year in NY. Graham is the starter, not Ward. I've seen alot of people make the mistake of drafting Ward in front of Graham this year.

I think what some people are mistaking, or forgeting about re: the Jets situation is that Greene is a rookie, and while the Jets will be a run oriented offense, can Greene pick up a blitz on first or second down? Or be a reliable outlet check down out of the backfield? Greene is a complete unknown in those aspects of his talents/experience. Until proven otherwise, he is a power back, a role player.

I find it incredulous.... last year's leading rusher in the AFC could be so easilly replaced? :wacko: These opinions fly in the face of facts and history. I'd be happy to wager that Jones, barring injury, will be the primary RB for the Jets this year in terms of touches and snaps, and starts (if healthy) every single game on the schedule. Sig bets, small cash bets, either way.... I'm game.

Should Jones get hurt, sure, Greene would see more work, but far and away, it would benefit Washington much more.

Reminds me of the year I predicted Curtis Martin to bounce back and have a good year. I was wrong.... he won the rushing title and had double diigt TD's. Martin had been pronounced all but dead.... now it's Jones' turn... he's dead meat.

I don't disagree that Jones is still the clear #1 (if he is in camp) and will be for the year. However, if Jones is hurt Washington will benefit some, but Greene will benefit more. Washington needs to get the ball more than he did last year, but he is not an everydown back. Greene looks strong enough to handle the pounding of a #RB1. In the event of a Jones injury, Washington will split time and dominate passing downs. Greene would get the GL duty.

John

For what its worth, Ward is gonna fill the same role he had last year in NY. Graham is the starter, not Ward. I've seen alot of people make the mistake of drafting Ward in front of Graham this year.

WOW really? 4 years 17 mill for as a RBBC role? LOL nice.

Edited by RJV

I don't disagree that Jones is still the clear #1 (if he is in camp) and will be for the year. However, if Jones is hurt Washington will benefit some, but Greene will benefit more. Washington needs to get the ball more than he did last year, but he is not an everydown back. Greene looks strong enough to handle the pounding of a #RB1. In the event of a Jones injury, Washington will split time and dominate passing downs. Greene would get the GL duty.

John

Jones is in camp. If Jones were to go down, I just don't think a rook steps in.... Leon would be the starter and would play in nearly all 1st and 2nd downs. Sure, Greene would get more touches, but if Jomes goes down, it is Leon who would see a doubling of touches... nt Greene.

You have to remember.... the Jets will be starting either a rookie QB or an untested backup. The Jets aren't about to start Greene under those circumstances. While Leon is small, he's been in the system. Jones has already proven his ability to get it done in that system.

WOW really? 4 years 17 mill for a backup role? LOL nice.

RBBC, not backup. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a relatively even split of carries. Goalline work looks like it's Graham's at the moment, and he is technically #1 on the depth chart, so is more valuable.

My question is - when is a handcuff not really a handcuff. I mean, I draft a lot of running backs that could be considered handcuffs, but present the owner with at least SOME production on a weekly basis if necessary. With the advent of RBBC - true handcuffs are becoming kind of extinct. I had Brandon Jackson as a handcuff to Ryan Grant last season on my dynasty team, but even though Grant suffered with injury during the first half of the season, Jackson did not prove useful. I dropped him to clear room for this years rookie draft picks.

I guess what I am getting at is, there are very few instances where a true handcuff pays off. Hardly worth the roster spot, especially in leagues with short rosters to begin with. There are plenty of mid to lower level running backs with upside and opportunity, so these days I tend to just some of those and hope to strike gold.

That being said, if you have a stud RB and his back-up will get decent numbers on his own (at least sporadically) I see no harm in making a point to get him. A guy like C. Taylor for example makes a great handcuff (because he will no question be getting the carries) and he is not a bad RB4 or RB5 either. Not too many of those type of situations though.

My question is - when is a handcuff not really a handcuff. I mean, I draft a lot of running backs that could be considered handcuffs, but present the owner with at least SOME production on a weekly basis if necessary. With the advent of RBBC - true handcuffs are becoming kind of extinct. I had Brandon Jackson as a handcuff to Ryan Grant last season on my dynasty team, but even though Grant suffered with injury during the first half of the season, Jackson did not prove useful. I dropped him to clear room for this years rookie draft picks.

I guess what I am getting at is, there are very few instances where a true handcuff pays off. Hardly worth the roster spot, especially in leagues with short rosters to begin with. There are plenty of mid to lower level running backs with upside and opportunity, so these days I tend to just some of those and hope to strike gold.

That being said, if you have a stud RB and his back-up will get decent numbers on his own (at least sporadically) I see no harm in making a point to get him. A guy like C. Taylor for example makes a great handcuff (because he will no question be getting the carries) and he is not a bad RB4 or RB5 either. Not too many of those type of situations though.

Well put and certainly what I was getting at with my original list.

LT - Sproles

Westy - McCoy

ADP - Taylor

Turner - Norwood

Lynch - Jackson

Portis - Betts

Forte - K. Jones

Ward - Graham

Addai - Brown

Jacobs - Bradshaw

In each of these situations, the backup or handcuff has their own value where they could be drafted by any owner and have, like you said, RB4/5 value (and in cases higher than that like Brown, Jackson) but also be very valuable to the owner who drafted the starter.

Edited by irish