[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oakland WR Chaz Schilens Breaks Foot

kpholmes

:wacko:

Oakland loses top receiver to broken foot

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 18, 2009 4:28 PM ET

Oakland's low-key, feel good training camp isn't feeling so good after the last few days.

Just one day after Raiders players were chanting in support of their fighting coach, we learned that a more important member of the organization than defensive assistant Randy Hanson has a broken bone to worry about.

Chaz Schilens, the team's best receiver, broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot early Tuesday. The timeframe of his return is unclear, although Schilens admitted that it would take a "miracle" for him to be ready for Week One.

Schilens' injury is similar on the surface to the one suffered by Rams receiver Donnie Avery, who was expected to miss 4-6 weeks.

A seventh-round pick in 2008, Schilens arguably was enjoying the best training camp of any Raider. His performance in the team's preseason game was eye-opening, showing a great mix of toughness, speed, and terrific hands.

With Schilens out, Darrius Heyward-Bey and Johnnie Lee Higgins look like the team's starters. Javon Walker is expected to come off the active/PUP list Monday after missing the entire offseason following knee surgery.

:D

Very, very bummed about this. He easily emerged as Oakland's #1 WR and had great chemistry with JR.

Big step back for Oakland offense.

Edited by kpholmes

Well, how long is he out?

Depending on the timetable for return you can get him even later now (maybe last?) and stash him on the bench. I don't think Walker is going to even make the team honestly. It just seems like he's in the proverbial fantasy graveyard...

Well, how long is he out?

Depending on the timetable for return you can get him even later now (maybe last?) and stash him on the bench. I don't think Walker is going to even make the team honestly. It just seems like he's in the proverbial fantasy graveyard...

Ive heard 6-8 weeks...

Ive heard 6-8 weeks...

This is exactly what I've read. So he may miss 3-4 weeks of the regular season. He'll basically go undrafted in 10-12 teamers now and will more than likely be a WW pickup during the year but he still will be a late rounder in 14+ teamers. Sucks, as like some of you, I really liked what I saw and was hoping to scap him up in some leagues late.