[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No, we don't want our Sheriff's actually upholding the law.

Perchoutofwater

What is the difference between a sobriety checkpoint and illegal immigration check point? Just asking if you are against those.

I am. Those places basically reverse the doctrine of innocent until proven guilty. And if they ask to search your vehicle just try saying no. You'll have the wrath of the state descend on you, just for wanting said state to respect your rights.

I am. Those places basically reverse the doctrine of innocent until proven guilty. And if they ask to search your vehicle just try saying no. You'll have the wrath of the state descend on you, just for wanting said state to respect your rights.

Do you disagree with airport security as well?

Airports are not, and it isn't the people from Delta feeling your wife up. The planes themselves are quasi private at best given the number of bailouts they have received.

The last sentence could be argued, but the only reason you're at an airport is to get on the plane. I view the airports as a glorified hwy rest-area. :wacko:

The last sentence could be argued, but the only reason you're at an airport is to get on the plane. I view the airports as a glorified hwy rest-area. :wacko:

So you don't have a problem with them setting up checkpoints at high way rest areas?

So you don't have a problem with them setting up checkpoints at high way rest areas?

The car is mine, the plane is not. The passenger air companies want the checkpoints because they have customers who otherwise might not take the plane. But I could see the rationale if it's just a gov't rest-stop, not to get off every interstate exit.

ETA - look at it this way, would you be OK with cops coming into your house just to "make sure" you don't have anything illegal? Then taking and running the serial #'s on every one of your guns, just to "make sure" none have been used for anything. Nevermind that the serials will be public record, commrade, we're doing this for your own good.

Edited by westvirginia

The car is mine, the plane is not. The passenger air companies want the checkpoints because they have customers who otherwise might not take the plane. But I could see the rationale if it's just a gov't rest-stop, not to get off every interstate exit.

ETA - look at it this way, would you be OK with cops coming into your house just to "make sure" you don't have anything illegal? Then taking and running the serial #'s on every one of your guns, just to "make sure" none have been used for anything. Nevermind that the serials will be public record, commrade, we're doing this for your own good.

Where is that ISM cartoon. :wacko:

The roads are public roads, my house is not a public property. I do not have to have permission from the state in order to use my house, but I do have to have permission in order to use my vehicle on public roads. Also, I'm against searches with out probable cause, but these checkpoints are not searches. If they just started searching vehicles without probable cause I'd have a major problem with it.

The roads are public roads, my house is not a public property. I do not have to have permission from the state in order to use my house, but I do have to have permission in order to use my vehicle on public roads. Also, I'm against searches with out probable cause, but these checkpoints are not searches. If they just started searching vehicles without probable cause I'd have a major problem with it.

You don't need permission for your car, you just have to be a member of the social contract which requires insurance and minimum competency. When you go trade your truck for a new one, do you have to get gov't permission? You just have to have proof of financial liability and competency in it's operation. It might be a fine line, but it's a line, just the same. Otherwise Texas couldn't extend it's castle doctrine to your car.

What is the difference between a sobriety checkpoint and illegal immigration check point? Just asking if you are against those.

I am against those.

A better analogy would be searching you before going into a bar. This airport security analogy is pretty bad.