[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

iPhone 3GS or new Blackberry Driftwood?

I Like Soup

So I've become increasingly annoyed with my Pearl's double letter keys for typing/texting, as well as it isn't the best device for portable innernets, and it just seems slower. So I've been looking at the iPhone 3GS and was considering the Blackberry Curve 9500. When looking up information on them both, it became obvious that there is a new Blackberry coming out that is the all in one Blackberry (as several other previous Blackberry's were missing one item to make them complete). It is called the Driftwood and will be available with TMobile, which I have. The iPhone with iTunes, all the apps, the cool innernets GUI looks pretty sweet but I've heard nothing real good about AT&T. So...

Has anyone heard about the iPhone contract ending with AT&T at the end of '09 and if that is true and what other carriers they will be going with? I was hoping maybe tonormanondog would have some insight on that since he cuddles with Steve Jobs at night and might have some techno-pillow talk to pass along. :wacko: And y'all with iPhones, how much is the plan to have them? Does anyone have experience with both the iPhone and the Curve?

iphone rocks - it is a sick little piece of equipment - my plan runs about $165/mo - I think I have unlimited minutes, not really sure

the worst part about it is the phone part - tends to drop calls, and/or AT&T coverage is spotty, at least here in AZ, but I have heard the same thing about blackberry's.......

but the apps, and all the other features make it more than worth it. Typing emails/txts is pretty easy to pick up

I'm planning on getting the blackberry ony (9700) when it is released. According to reports, it is either going to be released or at least a release date announced on Oct. 21st. While it is supposedly the Bold 2, it is supposed to have the size of a curve (which I have now and love), but with 3G, GPS, 3.2mp cam, etc.

iphone rocks - it is a sick little piece of equipment - my plan runs about $165/mo - I think I have unlimited minutes, not really sure

the worst part about it is the phone part - tends to drop calls, and/or AT&T coverage is spotty, at least here in AZ, but I have heard the same thing about blackberry's.......

but the apps, and all the other features make it more than worth it. Typing emails/txts is pretty easy to pick up

You live in Scottsdale? :wacko: I'm up there all the time.

I'm planning on getting the blackberry ony (9700) when it is released. According to reports, it is either going to be released or at least a release date announced on Oct. 21st. While it is supposedly the Bold 2, it is supposed to have the size of a curve (which I have now and love), but with 3G, GPS, 3.2mp cam, etc.

Yeah, I guess the T-Mobile version is going to be the Driftwood. Seems pretty sweet and I'm used to Blackberry...those Apple Apps seem hard to beat though...

i'm with verizon and got the blackberry curve in june. at the time, i asked about a one-year plan instead of two-year. the verizon rep asked why. i said, because i may want an iphone next year. he said they've been told that the iphone would be coming to verizon in first quarter of 2010. take it with a huge heaping of salt, but i'm just repeating what the guy said. with how successful it's been, i can't believe apple won't want to open it to other carriers.

You might want to consider the Palm Pre on Sprint which is a competitor to the iPhone (not nearly the number of apps). I'm with Sprint and find it hard to leave as I have a sweet deal. $67 a month total for 2 phones with 500 shared minutes, unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited data, and unlimited text messaging. I have a Pocket PC (HTC Mogul) and might be checking out the Pre in the next few months. I would love an iPhone too, but I just can't justify the HUGH leap in monthly expense to transfer over.

Edit: I was with Verizon before Sprint and the service seemed to be a bit better. I would get a few dropped calls when I switched over to Sprint but really that seems to have gone away in the last year plus.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

I was hoping maybe tonormanondog would have some insight on that since he cuddles with Steve Jobs at night and might have some techno-pillow talk to pass along. :wacko: And y'all with iPhones, how much is the plan to have them? Does anyone have experience with both the iPhone and the Curve?

steve and i share a snuggy. we bought it via an iphone call to johnny football ...

i have both the curve (work) and the iphone (life). there is no question that the iphone blows away the bb. full internet browsing beeyotch. an endless stream of apps to do just about anything. the cool factor. the latest thing i'm using the shiat out of is the built in GPS maps. hit a button and the iphone tells me where i am and gives me the full road map view ... standard app. gives you street directions and tracks you as you move. i'm on the 69.99 plan and have never exceeded the minutes that comes with that plan (forget how many).

don't know so much about the carrier plan, i can only say that i've been happy with AT&T, despite verizon's "there's a map for that" campaign.

So I've become increasingly annoyed with my Pearl's double letter keys for typing/texting, as well as it isn't the best device for portable innernets, and it just seems slower. So I've been looking at the iPhone 3GS and was considering the Blackberry Curve 9500. When looking up information on them both, it became obvious that there is a new Blackberry coming out that is the all in one Blackberry (as several other previous Blackberry's were missing one item to make them complete). It is called the Driftwood and will be available with TMobile, which I have. The iPhone with iTunes, all the apps, the cool innernets GUI looks pretty sweet but I've heard nothing real good about AT&T. So...

Has anyone heard about the iPhone contract ending with AT&T at the end of '09 and if that is true and what other carriers they will be going with? I was hoping maybe tonormanondog would have some insight on that since he cuddles with Steve Jobs at night and might have some techno-pillow talk to pass along. :wacko: And y'all with iPhones, how much is the plan to have them? Does anyone have experience with both the iPhone and the Curve?

If you live in a major metro area, AT&T will probably suit you just fine. I would look up the coverage in your area, which you should be able to see on a map.

If you are a techie, then maybe the ease of use aspect isn't that big of an issue. For me, I support some real tech-buffoons. I have been through iterations of Treos, looked at blackberries, and dealt with them with iPhones. The iPhone is just so easy to use that even these dinosaurs and untechies have no issue with using it, adding apps, synching, or doing just about anything they want.

If you are a techie, I love my iPhone for the techie things I can do with it. I can test all of the network aspects and services offered at my company from my chair using the external 3g capabilities of the iPhone and a few apps I have downloaded. I can also use the wireless in the building.

It's one device that I use to do everything.

As far as the plan pricing, it's fairly expensive. Maybe something like $130 per month for unlimited everything. My company pays, so this isn't a concern for me. If they didn't, I would still have an iPhone and pay for it myself. It's an unbelievably useful device, and you can do almost any common thing with it that you can do with a computer, considering that there is a bit of a horsepower difference.

I can't speak to using a blackberry, because we only looked at them. Nobody here is sad that we chose iPhone.

I type on my phone. Often. I reply and send a lot of emails and texts. I take notes at meetings. I post on the huddle. I can't imagine having a phone without a full keyboard (but I've never tried one of the blackberries with two letters to one button, maybe that works ok).

I passed on the iPhone and the MyTouch because they had no keyboard, and I went with the G1. I have absolutely zero regrets. The two big things it was missing when I got it was a video recorder and VPN support, and they added both those features since I got it.

It's not the greatest camera in the world with bad images in any low light. That's the only drawback I've had.

It's an mp3 player, a little micro laptop, an excellent browser over Wifi, and there are thousands of apps... and since the operating system is being used on 18 new phones next year as well as some netbooks, developers are writing new apps every day.

I type on my phone. Often. I reply and send a lot of emails and texts. I take notes at meetings. I post on the huddle. I can't imagine having a phone without a full keyboard (but I've never tried one of the blackberries with two letters to one button, maybe that works ok).

I passed on the iPhone and the MyTouch because they had no keyboard, and I went with the G1. I have absolutely zero regrets. The two big things it was missing when I got it was a video recorder and VPN support, and they added both those features since I got it.

It's not the greatest camera in the world with bad images in any low light. That's the only drawback I've had.

It's an mp3 player, a little micro laptop, an excellent browser over Wifi, and there are thousands of apps... and since the operating system is being used on 18 new phones next year as well as some netbooks, developers are writing new apps every day.

Isn't the MyTouch2 the new version of the G1? I ask as T-Mobile has the MyTouch2 available...

Isn't the MyTouch2 the new version of the G1? I ask as T-Mobile has the MyTouch2 available...

Yeah, but no keyboard. Like the iPhone it has one of those touchscreen keyboards which I cannot operate with any accuracy. Typing an email would be torture.