[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why is so much religion in football?

millerx

It seems like I hear so many players in interviews saying things like "god has a plan" or " I just put my faith in god" or " god gave me this ability" etc..??

One of my favorite Homerism's (Simpsons) is when he and Flanders are competing in a putt-putt contest and tells Flanders (after he catches him praying before the match) " I already prayed and we BOTH can't win". ...

Honestly... is it a microcosm of the larger society? is there an abnormal amount of religious people that play sports? or maybe it's along the lines of "Bull Durham" just handing out pre-meditated, mundane quotes?

Thoughts?

When you play a sport where your life is at risk very often, why not pray (even if it's just hoping there's something greater out there) to look over you and get you safely through another game? Maybe it's got to do with being superstitious/peer pressured, You know, I guess I'll pray before/after a game cause many other players do and if I don't and get hurt, I'll wish I had prayed. Or maybe some players are just very religious.

Many ahtletes born with an born with an abundance of talent find that blind faith that doesn't require them to think about the world around them allows them to concentrate on getting the most out of their talent. IMO, it's also part of why athletes in particular seem to be overly superstitious. If one can sit back and chalk things up to "God has a plan" it makes it much easier to dismiss negative things and focus on perfecting your craft.

Hmmm...sounds like a good research question... :wacko:

I dunno, I never listen to anything they say outside the white lines, before or after. Like actors when they aren't acting, athletes off the field have as much relevance as the guy behind the McDonald's counter.

Post-game interviews are almost always worthless.

If you look at what many athletes SAY and then what they DO, they're about as devout as I am.

IMO most of it is just mouthing cliches. If you're looking for it, it will pop out. The converse is that those that believe feel compelled to mention it; if someone is atheistic/agnostic or even believes in God, just doesn't believe in an "active" God, he probably will just talk about the game and not make any mention of his beliefs.

"Leon, that was one heck of a game you had; how did you do it?"

"I'd really like to thank evolution and natural selection for favoring my ancestors and allowing me to end up with this eye-popping athletic ability."

If you look at what many athletes SAY and then what they DO, they're about as devout as I am.

IMO most of it is just mouthing cliches. If you're looking for it, it will pop out. The converse is that those that believe feel compelled to mention it; if someone is atheistic/agnostic or even believes in God, just doesn't believe in an "active" God, he probably will just talk about the game and not make any mention of his beliefs.

"I'd really like to thank evolution and natural selection for favoring my ancestors and allowing me to end up with this eye-popping athletic ability."

Great points.

I think it could be partly economic as well. i would guess people from poorer backgrounds tend to be more religious.

OK, who let Jimmy the Greek use Chavez's login? :wacko: