[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Google love

AtomicCEO

I love my android phone. It's not all the way there, but 2.0 is coming out in days to make it a fully matured phone OS.

I got an invite for Google Wave, and I think it's interesting. The most useful thing I've been using it for is to share band recommendations with the 3 other people I know on there. I still haven't really figured out what it's strong point is. It's kind of a group chat that allows you to collaborate on stuff.

But, Google Voice is the bomb. It's like Skype plus a fully featured IP phone with added features.

- I got to pick a free local phone number that includes my name (303-AWE-SOME)

- when you call it, it can hunt around to different phone numbers looking for me (rings home, office, mobile)

- when I get a voicemail, I immediately get a text message on my cell with a semi-accurate voice-to-text transcription of the message, so I don't necessarily need to check the message.

- I can call into the voicemail to check it, or I can check in in a browser, or in an app on my cell phone to hear the message.

I'm actually thinking of shutting off my T-Mobile voicemail and routing everything through the GV voicemail. It works a heck of a lot better and has more features.

Anyone else using it?

I set it up. Google Voice has officially replaced T-mobile's voicemail for me.

I'd really recommend it for people who can run the GV Mobile app... Android and Blackberry phones (or jailbroken iPhones since Apple blocked the app). The visual voicemail works flawlessly (unlike T-Mobiles), and the speech to text thing is genius to get a quick look at the voicemail without checking it.

I have a G1 as well as a iPod Touch (iphone without the phone). I like the slide out keyboard, multitasking, and overall geek capabilities of the G1 over the Touch, however I prefer the browser and the multitouch screen of the touch. I haven't played around with a Android 2.0 device yet so maybe some of that has been addressed.

Is it pretty easy to use Gmail directly from the phone? I'm going to be in the market for a new phone around the 1st of the year and want something where I don't have to worry about push email, POP3 and all that crap.
It's very easy. I would actually say that I perfer gmail on the phone vs their webmail interface. Obviously the two are going to be different just because of screen real estate, but the phone interface is very intuitive. The phone also supports imap and pop mail, and Android 2.0 is also suppose to support Exchange directly (instead of having to use imap).

UPDATE: I found out that you don't have to jailbreak the iPhone to run a Google Voice app. Google voice has a web application you can access through the browser to listen to your messages which works pretty well.

I have a G1 as well as a iPod Touch (iphone without the phone). I like the slide out keyboard, multitasking, and overall geek capabilities of the G1 over the Touch, however I prefer the browser and the multitouch screen of the touch. I haven't played around with a Android 2.0 device yet so maybe some of that has been addressed.

2.0 adds support for multitouch, but it is not implemented in the browser initially for some reason, so I imagine that will be a software update down the road. I'm pretty happy with how often the push out updates and features.

Is it pretty easy to use Gmail directly from the phone? I'm going to be in the market for a new phone around the 1st of the year and want something where I don't have to worry about push email, POP3 and all that crap.

gmail is integrated in the OS, and it can sync automatically (like push), or you can just check it when you want.

Isn't Google coming out with a linux-based operating system to go with their browser?

Google is probably doing a lot of stuff they don't talk about. But, the Andoid OS that runs on the phone is also going to be adapted to netbooks and tablet PCs.

Isn't Google coming out with a linux-based operating system to go with their browser?

Yeah but I dont know how it will be any better than the current offerings. I run Ubuntu constantly.

FWIW, it took me about 5 minutes max to set up mine and my wife's iphones to pick up not only her gmail but also our gmail-based non-gmail accounts (not sure what they're called).

FWIW, it took me about 5 minutes max to set up mine and my wife's iphones to pick up not only her gmail but also our gmail-based non-gmail accounts (not sure what they're called).

Same here for my blackbery

I set it up. Google Voice has officially replaced T-mobile's voicemail for me.

I'd really recommend it for people who can run the GV Mobile app... Android and Blackberry phones (or jailbroken iPhones since Apple blocked the app). The visual voicemail works flawlessly (unlike T-Mobiles), and the speech to text thing is genius to get a quick look at the voicemail without checking it.

I just got the HTC Touch Pro 2 for Sprint. It runs Windows Mobile 6.1 but should be able to be upgraded to 6.5 when it is released. Any chance it can be run on that? I'm limited to WinMo because my boss pays for the phone line and Windows base phone's data packages are half those of the blackberry variety.

I just got the HTC Touch Pro 2 for Sprint. It runs Windows Mobile 6.1 but should be able to be upgraded to 6.5 when it is released. Any chance it can be run on that? I'm limited to WinMo because my boss pays for the phone line and Windows base phone's data packages are half those of the blackberry variety.

Looks like the Windows Mobile version is in beta testing.

Speaking of Sprint, which is a better way to go...the Palm Pre or one of the phones with the android software they carry?

I'd wait until a droid 2.0 phone comes out on sprint if you get to choose. The Palm is supposed to be pretty decent though. I did like the HTC Hero (droid 1.5 or so) that I played with in the store. I don't think neither are terrible, but I would wait until it gets a little closer to x-mas and see if a droid type phone comes to Sprint.