[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Debit or Credit?

detlef

You're at the checkout counter. You pull out your plastic. "Debit or Credit?" Sometimes it's the cashier, sometimes it's the computer screen, but you're always asked. I own both and each are what they are and nothing else. They both say Visa, but the debit card always pulls money out of my checking account and the credit card always fronts me the dough and bills me later. I have never owned or been offered a card that can do both. Does such a thing exist?

Assuming they don't, why the hell can't the computer realize what is going on and handle it? I mean, it figures it out where to grab the cash from easily enough.

Now, I recognize that the merchant pays a different service charge depending on what kind of transaction takes place, but this isn't about that because what ever is happening is happening. It's either a debit card or credit card but whatever it is, you can't decide that the card should all of sudden be something else.

Kinda goes along with, "You must dial 1 before the number for this call." Great, if you can figure that out, why the hell don't you just assume I did and put me through. If dialing 1 made a difference, then you'd think my call would go elsewhere if I failed to do so.

Interesting

Odd, I've run into the max amount issue before but was powerless to do anything about it because I was making an on-line purchase. Further, our POS system doesn't give us an option when we run a card. If it's a check card, it goes through as a debit every time (which is nice for me, I guess and I would be concerned about the legality of that were it not for the fact that I have never seen that on a restaurant POS and have worked with dozens of different ones).

More importantly, the exposure argument makes no sense. They say how much more protection you get if someone steals a credit card rather than a check card. Well that doesn't do you any good because you're only as protected as the guy who's stolen your card makes you. I guess if he's cool, he'll steal your card and then use it as a charge card instead of a debit, that way it'll come out of the bank's ass and not yours. Seems like a bit of a stretch though.

Interesting

Odd, I've run into the max amount issue before but was powerless to do anything about it because I was making an on-line purchase. Further, our POS system doesn't give us an option when we run a card. If it's a check card, it goes through as a debit every time (which is nice for me, I guess and I would be concerned about the legality of that were it not for the fact that I have never seen that on a restaurant POS and have worked with dozens of different ones).

More importantly, the exposure argument makes no sense. They say how much more protection you get if someone steals a credit card rather than a check card. Well that doesn't do you any good because you're only as protected as the guy who's stolen your card makes you. I guess if he's cool, he'll steal your card and then use it as a charge card instead of a debit, that way it'll come out of the bank's ass and not yours. Seems like a bit of a stretch though.

he would have to know your pin in order to run it through debit...

as a business owner I am suprised you also don't realize that you are charged different fees on debit card transactions than on cc transactions

oh wait, det and cc fees :wacko:

EDIT: :D guess I should have actually read all of detlef's first post :D

Edited by keggerz

I didn't read the article but I know I get reward points from my institution if I run my debit through as a credit transaction.

because that institution charges the retailer a higher rate to process the CC transaction than they do a debit transaction

so they give you the incentive to use CC because it is beneficial to them.

Edited by keggerz

Assuming they don't, why the hell can't the computer realize what is going on and handle it? I mean, it figures it out where to grab the cash from easily enough.

Now, I recognize that the merchant pays a different service charge depending on what kind of transaction takes place, but this isn't about that because what ever is happening is happening. It's either a debit card or credit card but whatever it is, you can't decide that the card should all of sudden be something else.

My credit union offers a visa check card. It can be used as a visa "credit" card or as a debit card with a pin. If I run it through as a credit transaction, the merchant pays the entire processing cost and nothing is added to the total (unless the merchant is violating their merchant agreement that forbids the practice). If I run it through as a debit transaction, I also get zapped as a "foreign ATM" fee of $1. It's a no brainer as to which I choose...and it's annoying to have to click Cancel every transaction to then choose credit. But if it saves me $1 per purchase... However I have had a few times where a credit transaction failed to go through but a debit did. In those cases the credit authorization service either was unresponsive or I had just made a deposit and the credit side of the system didn't appear to be "real time".

Kinda goes along with, "You must dial 1 before the number for this call." Great, if you can figure that out, why the hell don't you just assume I did and put me through. If dialing 1 made a difference, then you'd think my call would go elsewhere if I failed to do so.
In this case, it's a safeguard to alert you that the number is long distance. It's no longer necessary with unlimited long distance, cell phones, voip, etc but for those that still pay by the minute, it can still serve a purpose.

You serious? I thought most debit cards could double as a credit card nowdays. Mine does (Visa).

So, you have one card that either draws from your bank account or fronts you the purchase, depending on what you choose? I would hate that. I've got a credit card and a debit card and I like to know which I'm using when I use it and be certain that there's no way that I think I'm charging something but really having the purchase drawn from my bank by accident.

I have a debit card for my checking account. If I choose "debit" at the register i will be charged 75 cents each time I do it. if I choose "credit" at the register I will not be charged a fee but the money still comes out of my checking account.

Time to change banks FBJ, I have never been charged for using my debit card for anything EVER. We use PNC BTW

ETA: Even if we use a non-PNC ATM and get charged a fee we get it back at the end of the month as a refund aslong as you carry a $2000 beginning and ending balance in your checking account anyway.

Edited by T_bone65

Time to change banks FBJ, I have never been charged for using my debit card for anything EVER. We use PNC BTW

ETA: Even if we use a non-PNC ATM and get charged a fee we get it back at the end of the month as a refund aslong as you carry a $2000 beginning and ending balance in your checking account anyway.

As long as I enter "credit" I do not get charged. The money still comes out of my checking account. Its not really a credit card. I do not understand why it works that way but as long as I am not charged a fee I don't care.