[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

this mi politician gets it

dmarc117

I wish him luck, but the pragmatist in me says that even if he does everything right, it still won't work. :wacko:

(To clarify my point: Even if he does succeed in everything that he wants to do, how many of you would be willing to move to Detroit?)

Edited by wiegie

I wish him luck, but the pragmatist in me says that even if he does everything right, it still won't work. :D

(To clarify my point: Even if he does succeed in everything that he wants to do, how many of you would be willing to move to Detroit?)

If it wasn't for the climate, :wacko: (assuming he succeeds, of course).

I wish him luck, but the pragmatist in me says that even if he does everything right, it still won't work. :wacko:

If it weren't for my business being here, I'd by a $1,000 house and move up there for a few years, assuming of course he successfully implements his plan of action. Hell might go up there and buy a couple of hundred $1,000 houses. If he is successful property values would surely go up, and even if he isn't they can't go much lower. Seriously if I lived close enough to Detroit to go there often enough to check on the properties, I'd jump on some of them.

Privatizing? Forcing down the unions? It's clear Mr. Bing has no concept of good government. He's just a selfish rich person who doesn't want to pay his fair share to help those "less fortunate" than him. Since it's all luck and he just won life's lottery. :wacko:

You DO realize that he expects a whole lotta money from that nasty ol fedgubmnet and plans to borrow against future revenues . . right? :D

That being said, he seems to be a unique mix of what gubmnet SHOULD be and a realist. It is unions getting WAAYY too big for the structure they parastically suck off of that seem to be a huge impediment to getting things done in Detroit.

Eventually most of the other states and cities will realize they do not want to go the way of the UAW unions and their part in bankrupting the US auto industries.

Unions were very needed in their time and directly led to things like a minimum wage and OSHA. I have not seen any contributions to the overall betterment of workers from unions in quite some time. So what is their purpose anymore?

Unions were very needed in their time and directly led to things like a minimum wage and OSHA. I have not seen any contributions to the overall betterment of workers from unions in quite some time. So what is their purpose anymore?

I would assume that if all unions were gone we would eventually get back to where we were in the pre-union days. It's before my time. Maybe that would be good?

The union question reminded me of an old Simpsons episode I saw the other day on my season 4 Simpsons DVD:

Factory Worker: You can't treat the working man this way! One day, we'll form a union and get the fair and equitable treatment we deserve! Then we'll go too far, and get corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!

Burns's Grandfather: The Japanese? Those sandal-wearing goldfish-tenders? Bosh! Flimshaw!

Mr. Burns: [to Smithers, in the present] If only we'd listened to that boy, instead of walling him up in the abandoned coke oven.

You DO realize that he expects a whole lotta money from that nasty ol fedgubmnet and plans to borrow against future revenues . . right? :wacko:

That being said, he seems to be a unique mix of what gubmnet SHOULD be and a realist. It is unions getting WAAYY too big for the structure they parastically suck off of that seem to be a huge impediment to getting things done in Detroit.

Eventually most of the other states and cities will realize they do not want to go the way of the UAW unions and their part in bankrupting the US auto industries.

Wow. Do BP and I actually agree on something? I'm going to look out the window to see if pigs are flying. Anyone seen or heard anything about Hell freezing over yet? :D

Yeah...Unions have no purpose.

Unions suck the blood of a city economy.

Unions are the reason why Big cities like Chi...Pitt...NY have conventions shying away from said places.

I'd like to live in this little world you live in, but I couldn't find a condo inside FantasyLand!

Bash unions all you want. Yall are looking for a scapegoat. Let it be the unions!

None of you appreciate what they have done. Oh..they have outlived their purpose, so throw them away like a used piece of toilet paper.

F' YOU!

We are here and you will have to deal w/ us.

MAY UNIONS LIVE FOREVER!

Unions are the reason why Big cities like Chi...Pitt...NY have conventions shying away from said places.

I'd like to live in this little world you live in, but I couldn't find a condo inside FantasyLand!

Bash unions all you want. Yall are looking for a scapegoat. Let it be the unions!

None of you appreciate what they have done. Oh..they have outlived their purpose, so throw them away like a used piece of toilet paper.

F' YOU!

MAY UNIONS LIVE FOREVER!

:wacko::D:D You won't be here for much longer. You are dying by the day...good riddance!

F' YOU!

MAY UNIONS LIVE FOREVER!

rr, I like you and respect you, but unions have outlived their usefulness and now are nothing more than an anchor around the necks of many of our industries.

F' YOU!

MAY UNIONS LIVE FOREVER!

bpwallace: "Yeah, unions have kind of outlived their usefulness."

rr26: "BP, I think you might be missing a couple things on the question."

bpwallace: "Oh? OK, what's that?"

rr26: "F you, the horse you rode in on, and the dog that follows you around to eat your puke! Me and my union buddies are gonna cut your heart out and take turns pizzing in the empty hole!"

bpwallace: :wacko:

Feudalism is the best way. So long as I get to be lord.

That is a pretty stupid comment. The purposes that unions served are now served by the federal government through OSHA, prevailing wage laws, and minimum wage. Heck if the liberals get their way benefits like health insurance will be provided by the government as well. What justification can possibly be given for the need for unions today? About all they do is collect dues to line the union boss' pockets and pad politicians purses at the expense of their rank and file members. Now if you want to abolish the minimum wage law, the prevailing wage law and do away with OSHA I'd say unions are needed, but that would require shrinking the size of government, which isn't likely to happen.

That is a pretty stupid comment. The purposes that unions served are now served by the federal government through OSHA, prevailing wage laws, and minimum wage. Heck if the liberals get their way benefits like health insurance will be provided by the government as well. What justification can possibly be given for the need for unions today? About all they do is collect dues to line the union boss' pockets and pad politicians purses at the expense of their rank and file members. Now if you want to abolish the minimum wage law, the prevailing wage law and do away with OSHA I'd say unions are needed, but that would require shrinking the size of government, which isn't likely to happen.

i love how the unions are bitching about the 'cadillac tax' on their insurance. they want it all. hilarious.

rr, I like you and respect you, but unions have outlived their usefulness and now are nothing more than an anchor around the necks of many of our industries.

In "Right to Work States" you are probably right. In many states there are collective bargaining mandates. Whether or not you have a union, you MUST have a bargaining unit in place.

Discussing this stuff is fruitless. I sincerely doubt w/ all of these union topics that anyone has been swayed one way or the other.

i hope youre talkin about unions and not rr.

OK...THAT'S funny! :wacko:

RR . . . You belonged to a teachers union . . right?

Do you agree or disagree with how some unions are specifically causing convention business to LEAVE Chicago because they drive the price up expotentially?

Unions were (and I stress the past tense) one of the best things for workers to break free of our corporate overlords and develop the middle class and create rights for workers. What have they done lately to provide benefits for anyone else but themselves at the expense of the business that provides them with a union job?? :wacko:

Dont unions understand that they need to work WITH the businesses they supply services to instead of line their own pockets?

RR, I am seriously asking these questions, because I know you are/were in a union . . . . my cousin is a huge union guy in WI, and is as far right-wing as you can get. I ask how can he reconcile his political leanings with the fact he is in a union that supported democratic candidates. His answer was that he gets the most amount of money by being in a union and the best benefits. Thats it. He has no other reason for being "union".

His answer was that he gets the most amount of money by being in a union and the best benefits. Thats it. He has no other reason for being "union".

i get this from all my buddies who are union. wife too. they know unions are no longer good for the us, but they keep getting paid so they dont say anything.

RR . . . You belonged to a teachers union . . right? YUP!

Do you agree or disagree with how some unions are specifically causing convention business to LEAVE Chicago because they drive the price up expotentially? Sure, if you'll agree that Chi's outrageously high priced hotels, parking, and taxes are a close second place for them to seek elsewhere.

Unions were (and I stress the past tense) one of the best things for workers to break free of our corporate overlords and develop the middle class and create rights for workers. What have they done lately to provide benefits for anyone else but themselves at the expense of the business that provides them with a union job?? If you're not in a union you will never understand the positives.

Dont unions understand that they need to work WITH the businesses they supply services to instead of line their own pockets? The ones I was in did. I was never on Strike and as I said before, collective bargaining, at least for public education in IL is a state mandate.