[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

punishment, what it should be

dmarc117

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some say there can NEVER be 100% certainty. FWIW, I'm with you.

I thought the same thing when I typed the 100%.

There is a line but the difficulty comes when you have to figure out where that line is. Kill one innocent person and it is wrong. Kill 100's or 1000's of guilty people and all is good.

I'm curious how one sets the legal standard at 100%? Is this one of those, 'I can't describe it but I know it when I see it' situations?

And even if a 100% legal standard could be created, there are cases where prosecuting attorneys have kept back evidence that exonerated a client.

There are times when I feel insulted when I am called a 'dimwit.' There are other times when it actually fills me with a sense of contentment. Let's just say I am content to disagree with some of you.

I'm curious how one sets the legal standard at 100%? Is this one of those, 'I can't describe it but I know it when I see it' situations?

And even if a 100% legal standard could be created, there are cases where prosecuting attorneys have kept back evidence that exonerated a client.

There are times when I feel insulted when I am called a 'dimwit.' There are other times when it actually fills me with a sense of contentment. Let's just say I am content to disagree with some of you.

+1 Well said, uncle stevie.

:wacko:

u need to make your life simpler with just a black and white answer for everything,then you don't have to worry about crazy things that may or may not happen.

I don't think anyone is saying that all cases are black or white. That would be ridiculous. Nevertheless, it is equally ridiculous to oppose the death penalty on the basis that NOTHING is ever black or white when clearly that's not the case. There are far better anti-capital punishment arguments than that.

I don't think anyone is saying that all cases are black or white. That would be ridiculous. Nevertheless, it is equally ridiculous to oppose the death penalty on the basis that NOTHING is ever black or white when clearly that's not the case. There are far better anti-capital punishment arguments than that.

My primary argument against the death penalty is that if killing is wrong, then killing is wrong.

I also do not believe it sends the correct message to society. I've used this example in the past:

Let us suppose that my son is a bully who is picking on smaller children. Do I teach him it is wrong to hit people smaller than him by spanking him? Or by spanking him am I simply reinforcing his belief that if someone is bigger/stronger, he can do as he wishes?

My primary argument against the death penalty is that if killing is wrong, then killing is wrong.

I also do not believe it sends the correct message to society. I've used this example in the past:

Let us suppose that my son is a bully who is picking on smaller children. Do I teach him it is wrong to hit people smaller than him by spanking him? Or by spanking him am I simply reinforcing his belief that if someone is bigger/stronger, he can do as he wishes?

i know we both agree strongly on this point ...well said

I also believe that if you are a person of faith (speaking on the faith that i am which is Christian ) , there is no way that i could agree with Capital Punishment ...who are we to take a life ? Belief founded on fact God creates all life so we are not in a position to take one intentionally

Edited by isleseeya

i know we both agree strongly on this point ...well said

I also believe that if you are a person of faith (speaking on the faith that i am which is Christian ) , there is no way that i could agree with Capital Punishment ...who a re we to take a life ? Belief founded on fact God creates all life so we are not in a position to take one intentionally

you believe in and base decisions on something that isnt there. thats a great way to make decisions and form opinions. :wacko:

Edited by dmarc117

so are you saying that if we kill people for killing people, that we will be reinforcing its ok to kill people? :wacko:

I know someone who has been locked up for the past 15 years or so for "molesting his girlfriends daughter" and was only accused of doing so because the daughter didn't want him and her mother to be together and then later confessed...

but he was locked up already and it was an election year - so they decided to make an example out of him...

boy it would suck if he was "tortured, then killed" for something that he never did because the little girl took some time before she confessed....

there are flaws in everything and unless you have irrefutable proof, you can't operate like this..

Just curious, and I'm not looking to be argumentative as much as I really just want to understand...for those who think capital punishment is wrong because there may be a possibility of "error" in the verdict, how would you change the definition of "reasonable doubt" and the standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt," which implies a moral certitude?

For those of you who think capital punishment is wrong because it's inhumane or somehow areligious, how would you justify a lesser punishment as equitable to the victims, especially those who have been raped or the families of those who have murdered (not "killed" as somebody earlier termed it)?

And how do you explain that if given a choice of life in prison or execution, my gut feeling tells me most convicted individuals would choose life in prison - so why further oblige their wants?

Just curious, and I'm not looking to be argumentative as much as I really just want to understand...for those who think capital punishment is wrong because there may be a possibility of "error" in the verdict, how would you change the definition of "reasonable doubt" and the standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt," which implies a moral certitude?

For those of you who think capital punishment is wrong because it's inhumane or somehow areligious, how would you justify a lesser punishment as equitable to the victims, especially those who have been raped or the families of those who have murdered (not "killed" as somebody earlier termed it)?

And how do you explain that if given a choice of life in prison or execution, my gut feeling tells me most convicted individuals would choose life in prison - so why further oblige their wants?

I am in the group that is Bold in your original text

Justifying a punishment through prison , life sentence , solitary , etc is the form that i would agree with rather than Execution

For a family who lost a loved one to a violent crime , the punishment will not bring the person back ... It should be used so that criminal is removed from society and so they can not hurt anyone else ...It should be a reminder daily to them of what they did and there life behind bars be unpleasant and extremely difficult ...and lastly shomehow , someway , the criminal has a chance to repent , reform and change ...not so that he can be put back in society but so that even in prison he can do something positive still in life

who says they would have the sole power? the judicial system would still be there. trials, facts, videos, confessions, dna, etc.

All of which are still instruments of government. Prosecutors can mislead, cops can lie, defenders can be incompetent, judges can have any number of emotional stakes. :wacko:

Don't get me wrong, if someone breaks into my house in the middle of the night I'll shoot them dead and be just fine with that. But I just don't trust the government enough to give them that much power.