[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

universal remote

whoopazz

So, finally picked up some new A/V stuff. HD tv, blu ray player, surround system, cable converter box, Netflix streaming, etc. The sound and picture is of course awesome. But now we have 3 remotes for all this chit and the wifey is a bigger techno-dunce than I am. For those in the know, is there an affordable universal remote that will simplify use of this equipment to the level of a child? The TV and DVD are both LG brand.

TIA,

So, finally picked up some new A/V stuff. HD tv, blu ray player, surround system, cable converter box, Netflix streaming, etc. The sound and picture is of course awesome. But now we have 3 remotes for all this chit and the wifey is a bigger techno-dunce than I am. For those in the know, is there an affordable universal remote that will simplify use of this equipment to the level of a child? The TV and DVD are both LG brand.

TIA,

How much is "affordable" in your eyes? I use the Harmony One Remote and swear by it. I also have a Harmony 670 Remote as well but Logitech has a whole line of Harmony remotes (not just those two). The Harmony one will set you back about $160 bones and the 670 about $60-80. Each remote is programmable thru your computer and hooks into the massive Logitech database so your devices will be in the system. Any other remote that isn't a "smart" remote is worthless. I probably went thru 6 Universal remotes that worked for squat before I finally bit the bullet and forked over some serious money for a serious remote.

I have a Logitech remote (about 3 yrs old now) as well. I can't live without it!

cnet.com has a nice list of reviews on universal remotes that is worth your while to look into. These guys have tested a lot of remotes over the years. You can see an in depth review of the Harmony One recommended above as well as others and decide for yourself.

I agree with Tosberg that the 20-30 dollar remotes are worthless - more frustrating than helpful IMO. The package might say it is compatible with a lot of systems, but that's a bunch of bull. Don't believe it for one second.

another vote for logitech harmony. i had the harmony 880 and loved it. you might suffer some sticker shock, but the harmony remotes are very well designed, and set-up is fairly intuitive. there are also refurbished units for cheaper. my mom is a complete technophobe and she was able to work the harmony remote just fine.

I got the URC digital R50 for xmas, and the initial setup was pretty easy. seems pretty slick and will do what I need to do. it won't do the ps3 though, because that's bluetooth and not IR. so I am waiting on delivery of this thing.

i picked this up at gamestop for $20. it works great. i also have a URC remote, and i believe the codes for the Nyko PS3 remote are in URC's database. it does everything but turn the PS3 on/off, but inserting the disc automatically turns it on anyway, and you can turn it off from the main menu of the PS3.

The Harmony is a great remote. I needed that little something more and have a Phillips Pronto touch screen but that is definitely not in the affordable range ($300+) The thing about remotes though is that they are only as good as the programming/customization. I went this route because I can idiot proof the system. I have it ask questions like, What do you want to do? With answers like Watch TV, Watch a movie, Listen to a CD, etc. You can sorta do this with a Harmony via the macros where if you push a button it turns on all the appropriate pieces of equipment and sets the correct inputs, etc. Get a Harmony and take the time to customize it correctly and you life will be filled with joy.

Check out Remote Central for all the info you need about programming your remote and remotes in general.

The only gripe I have with my Harmony remote is it's attempt to try to track whether the device is powered on or off to send the correct signal. Sometimes my kids will turn off or on the TV manually and then the remote is out of sync. Or the TV or receiver didn't catch the off command so one or the other is left on. Pushing off again doesn't repeat the signal as the remote thinks it's already off...or sends the signal again and turns on one device but turns off the other. If your devices have discrete on/off codes some of this can be avoided. Othertimes, I just wish there was a hard button that was just power for that device and if it didn't pick it up once...you just press it again. I don't want to have to press 3 or 4 buttons to get it back into the correct mode to find the soft button for power.

• 1 year later...

My cable box came with a remote that I use for most everything. I don't use the Blue Ray with it yet. The kids like to play throw and catch with the remotes, more throwing than catching, so there's no way that I'd pay too much for a remote that gets thrown all over the room.