[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need a new Blue Ray

Grimm74

I just bought a Samsung and give it a thumbs up!

First, it matches my LCD so the "anynet+" is nice, as it recognizes when the Blu Ray is turned on and switches to the appropriate source on the TV automatically.

Second, it has a very nice picture with both the Blu Ray and with regular DVD's that it upscales.

Third, it comes with the ability access streaming Netflix, Pandora Radio, You Tube, and Blockbuster streaming movies.

Forth, it is pretty fast. Then again, IMO, anything is faster than my 9 yr old carousel DVD player it replaced. It's good.

honestly, if you want a standalone player...go for Sony or Panasonic...avoid samsung because they are notorious for quirky players...

the PS3 is great, but would cost twice as much as your standalone Sony/Panasonic player....

it depends on where you want to put your money...

what's the skinny on the ps3?

what do we need to know regarding different models and features?

what is worthwhile and what isn't?

where can we find the best deals?

any of the big box stores would be the place imo. get the extra remote. the nice thing about ps3's is that any new firmware updates come in new games or new dvds.

PS3 is usually the way to go.

For standalone Blue-ray, I'd also suggest getting a Panasonic or a Sony. Don't get the cheapest models though.

If you want to do it up in a 7.1 surround sound system, I'd suggest this system. Listed at $650, but you can find it as low as $450.

But if you are one of "those guys" regarding being an audiophile, the above system just won't do. For the normal guy, it works quite well and can make your entertainment room rumble with pleasure.

Best Buy was carrying a very solid Sony player for around US$130.00 during XMas. They had a Samsung for tthe same price but it doesn't review very well - the Sony does.

BUT ps3 is the best one out there: it already has built in 7.1, has upgradable firmware and USB 2.0. Players are only now catching up to that. Then you get the game system too. It really is the no brainer item.

Edited by Pope Flick