[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

flat screen/HDTV questions

yo mama

Okay. Then what is worth looking at? Like I said above, I just want two speakers and a sub.

What did you spend on Bose (if you don't mind sharing) or what is your budget?

I am a little busy at work but if I find time to pull some stuff together I will. Kid Cid I am sure will also have superb recommendations.

Bose was the only configuration that sounded good with just two speakers and a subwoofer (which I all I'm willing to deal with). Everything else had five speakers plus the sub, or sucked with just two speakers. But if you've got recommendations for something else I can look at I'm certainly all ears.

Towers or bookshelf?

What did you spend on Bose (if you don't mind sharing) or what is your budget?

I am a little busy at work but if I find time to pull some stuff together I will. Kid Cid I am sure will also have superb recommendations.

I spent $600 on this, and I am unwilling to spend anything more. So I basically got it $100-$200 off. Plus, the store threw in the $70 wireless network adapter for the blueray for free because I bought both a TV and a sound system. So if I return the Bose I'll have to cough up another $70 for that, too.

Edited by yo mama

I bought a Bose speaker system about 15 years ago. They still sound great to me. I'm not an audio geek, and I've gotten 15 years out of something that still sounds good.

:wacko:

There is no question Bose makes a good product. The issue is whether you can get better value.

Don't forget about the value of your time taking it back, setting up a new one...blah...blah...blah

Everything is still in the box. So its really just the hassle of returning stuff and buying something else. Still, unless there is a clear cut no-brainer alternative sound system that will save me more than $150, without a drop off in sound quality, then I'll just keep what I have. My Sony sound system died in like 7-8 years. I'd happily pay a few extra bucks for upgraded speakers that will last me 10+ years.

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. If all you're looking for is 2 bookshelf speakers and a sub then I highly recommend checking out Energy RC Micro or Paradigm Cinema 110 CT. The full 5.1 systems by them will run about a grand but choosing a la carte should put things right in your price range. Both will sound way better than the Bose system.

I don't know if you have the Bose supercubes, but part of the problem with that system is that it is not a true sub woofer. A traditional sub has an audio range of 120 Hz down to around 25 Hz which is about the lowest tones the human ear can discern. The Bose system starts at 200 Hz instead of 120 Hz. Now, that doesn't seem like a big difference until you realize that at 200 Hz you will hear the sub woofer, at 120 Hz, you will feel the sub woofer. That means that for sounds that are not supposed to emanate from a single point source (like explosions), that illusion is broken by the Bose system.

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. If all you're looking for is 2 bookshelf speakers and a sub then I highly recommend checking out Energy RC Micro or Paradigm Cinema 110 CT. The full 5.1 systems by them will run about a grand but choosing a la carte should put things right in your price range. Both will sound way better than the Bose system.

I can vouch for Energy Speakers. I re-did my basement stereo last year and picked up some Energy Speakers on closeout (they discontinued some lines when Klipsch bought them). I love my Energy Speakers and they were a tremendous value as far as bang for your buck. They are highly regarded on the AVSforum for a good low cost speaker (they trash the value of Bose their as well).

i'm sorry, it doesn't take that long to make spaghetti with meatballs.

No, but when the wife needs some special attention, who am I to deny her an evening if she wants it? :wacko:

I've got no qualms with the TV I bought. $600 less than what was advertised in the latest Crutchfiled, plus they threw in another $250 worth of blueray stuff to seal the deal. I know I didn't get a "deal" on the Bose sound system, but the price difference just isn't worth the hassle.

I've got no qualms with the TV I bought. $600 less than what was advertised in the latest Crutchfiled, plus they threw in another $250 worth of blueray stuff to seal the deal. I know I didn't get a "deal" on the Bose sound system, but the price difference just isn't worth the hassle.

I'm certain you will enjoy your Bose.