[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ever read stuff in school ("forced")....and ended up liking it?

BeeR

To this day a short story called "To Build A Fire" still sticks in my mind.

Great short story - "chilling."

Read Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden in high school - have loved Steinbeck ever since. I still read East of Eden at least once a year - a truly outstanding work.

Also developed much man love for Hemingway due to assignmemt. The Short Happy Life of Francis McComber is my all-time favorite short story. His novels are fantastic too.

Sarah Jewett left a lasting impression too. Orwell, Huxley were good. I didn't realize in HS how good Robert Pirsig was with Zen. I've read it a few times since and it is outstanding.

This week it's been The Lost Symbol, The Hunger Games and State of Fear. I'm a sucker for pop fiction - not the most enriching stuff, but better than the boob tube...

Enjoyed every Shakespeare play I had to read, including Macbeth, Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet, and the Merchant of Venice. We also got to watch a Romeo & Juliet movie that was made in the 50s or 60s I believe, and the girl who played Juliet was smokin' hot and wore this incredibly low-cut dress. I had to take my time getting out of my seat after that one. :wacko:

Also really liked 1984, Call of the Wild, Death of a Salesman, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

Was an early reader. Read everything I could get my hands on. So... by the time I got to high school and required reading lists were being put out... I had already read most of the books on the list. Don't think I was ever "forced" to read anything.

+1

(I remember being in 7th grade and our teacher left the room for a while and told us to read our assigned book while he was gone. When he came back into the room he saw me doing something else and he said, "We aren't you reading your book?" And I said, "I am finished reading it." And he said, "I didn't tell you to stop at the end of the chapter." And I said, "I'm not finished with the chapter, I am finished with the whole book." I've never seen a teacher look that mad about a student reading ahead. :wacko: (He was a prick anyway.)

Was an early reader. Read everything I could get my hands on. So... by the time I got to high school and required reading lists were being put out... I had already read most of the books on the list. Don't think I was ever "forced" to read anything.

Same here. I've always (and still do) read like a fiend. I loved most of Jack London's stuff, and growing up in the 80's, was a HUGH Stephen King fan. Remember loving Shakespeare too because some of his stuff was pretty racy. 1984 was a biggie, as was Animal Farm bud I don't remember really "getting" the books until I was a little older.