[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Being in IT but not very "technical" any more sucks

BeeR

Playing off the sharepoint thread......the gist is despite being in "IT," I haven't been very technical if at all for some time (PM type) and thinking about taking a course or some kind of training to enhance the ol resume/job prospects. Pls keep in mind I don't have delusions of taking a course and then trying to get a job as a developer, DBA or the like. But courses along those lines might be the ticket. All I know is some mgt jobs look for more tech knowledge than I really have, and I'm feeling somewhat lacking these days.......so here are some thoughts (based largely on job postings). Any .02s appreciated.

SQL (probably not a 101-type course, I know the very basics)

Sharepoint

Oracle (possibly focusing on some particular aspect, not sure which)

.NET

Edited by BeeR

?

Credit Card?

Circuit City?

:wacko: I assume you mean some kind of counselor - good idea, I'll see what's avail. Although not being in the "real IT world," so to speak, I have to wonder-?

CC = Community College.

All I know is some mgt jobs look for more tech knowledge than I really have

I ran across this about three years back. I was sounded out about a CIO position and, being polite, I asked about the position details. I was told that the CIO was to set the strategy for the company to grow......and would also answer the Helpdesk phone, be able to configure routers, maintain Windows and UNIX servers, upgrade applications and on and on. :wacko:

I laughed and wished them good luck with their strategic efforts.

I ran across this about three years back. I was sounded out about a CIO position and, being polite, I asked about the position details. I was told that the CIO was to set the strategy for the company to grow......and would also answer the Helpdesk phone, be able to configure routers, maintain Windows and UNIX servers, upgrade applications and on and on. :wacko:

I laughed and wished them good luck with their strategic efforts.

LOL, CIO in a company of what, 20 people?

Don't kid yourself BeeR, being a PM is actually not such a bad thing moving forward. I would suggest you actually look into BPM (Business Process Modeling), and/or sourcing for PMing activities both virtual and offshore. PMs don't really need to be THAT technical, as you can bring in SME's for anything. The trend of major business is still siphoning developer and SA work offshore, however, it takes a really good PM to make such sourcing work.

The BPM thing is the future of IT Architecture, aligning business process and IT infrastructure (both hard and software) is something that will be very large in the coming years.

ah :wacko: Yeah I've talked to them but only generally. Checking to see if they gots an IT advisor. Thx

Usually the Dept. Head or a Program Coordinator will have good insight as they are the ones who usually get the job requests from industry plus they can talk the "tech talk" better than a general counselor.

being a PM is actually not such a bad thing moving forward. I would suggest you actually look into BPM (Business Process Modeling), and/or sourcing for PMing activities both virtual and offshore. PMs don't really need to be THAT technical,

Don't get me wrong, appreciate the ideas, but pfffft on modeling...I did process (and some data) modeling for years w/the freakin gubmint. That and a couple bucks will get me an espresso at Starbucks. Maybe there's more call for it elsewhere but not squat around hyah (once in awhile it's mentioned as in about 9th of 10 desired knowledge areas).

And yeah, not saying PM is a bad area to be in per se, just that what I'm seeing is a lot of wanting a PM who has more tech knowledge than me. eg I have managed systems using Oracle, but couldn't find my way around Oracle itself if my life depended on it. And frankly it ticks me off a bit.......I mean I can see how having some such knowledge would be "nice" but in any managerial role, it's how well you freaking MANAGE that matters. I guess part of the problem is that "soft skills" are harder to quantify or get a feel for in interviews/etc (also the fact that most people suck at interviewing doesn't help).

PS lol @ CIO thing.

Edited by BeeR

Not sure what kind of IT PM you've done, but have you looked into non-IT skills that could give you a leg-up in specific industries (ie ERP/MRP, Operations Management, Supply Chain Management)? I question the value of additional IT technical skills as a manager.

I question the value of additional IT technical skills as a manager.

I agree but I definitely see companies wanting their people, including PMs, to wear more than one hat, particularly the small to medium size businesses. I wear three.

Don't get me wrong, appreciate the ideas, but pfffft on modeling...I did process (and some data) modeling for years w/the freakin gubmint. That and a couple bucks will get me an espresso at Starbucks. Maybe there's more call for it elsewhere but not squat around hyah (once in awhile it's mentioned as in about 9th of 10 desired knowledge areas).

And yeah, not saying PM is a bad area to be in per se, just that what I'm seeing is a lot of wanting a PM who has more tech knowledge than me. eg I have managed systems using Oracle, but couldn't find my way around Oracle itself if my life depended on it. And frankly it ticks me off a bit.......I mean I can see how having some such knowledge would be "nice" but in any managerial role, it's how well you freaking MANAGE that matters. I guess part of the problem is that "soft skills" are harder to quantify or get a feel for in interviews/etc (also the fact that most people suck at interviewing doesn't help).

PS lol @ CIO thing.

OK, if techinical is the way you want to go, I would suggest taking that Oracle route. SQL is easy, as is database schema and design. You don't need to go deep enough to be a DBA, but knowing your way around SQL or even the Oracle dev tools would be a logical next step that would dovetail into your prior experiences. You can take a few classes to get that.

The thing is, I work for a huge corporation. In that corp, our PMs are not techinical, they lean on we architects for that. My guess is if you don't want to really learn that stuff, you need to fish in deeper waters, or possibly talk to some contracting agencies, as we hire contractors as PMs all the time. Besides, an interview with a contracting head hunter will tell you a lot of what you need to know in ways of skills improvements.

Sharepoint is white hot - devs, admins, PM's w/Sharepoint knowledge

SQL is always good skill to have, PMI/PMP certification

at Microsoft, PM's are always the first ones laid off and the market was/is still saturated with PM's.

Most good PM's have a technical background, or have gotten up to speed technically, just the way it is

In a somewhat related note, my background is in accounting but I've thought about going back to school to get some technical expertise in the area of business intelligence (BI). I have seen a couple of schools online offer an Masters in Business Intelligence. Seems like if I could combine my accounting experience (which really isn't THAT technical, i'm mostly doing GL internal reporting and maintenance of Hyperion Essbase which is soon to be replaced with SQL pivot tables) with a more solid background in business intelligence software and theory it would be a good thing. :wacko:

Sharepoint is white hot - devs, admins, PM's w/Sharepoint knowledge
Not sure about "white hot" but generally yeah I have gotten that impression too.

SQL is always good skill to have, PMI/PMP certification
I know the basics of SQL well enough to fake it for now IMO. PMP isn't technical but yes I know I should get it as a PM - but it's such a big, unweildy and painfully dull pile o poo I confess I'm avoiding it :wacko:

the market was/is still saturated with PM's. Most good PM's have a technical background, or have gotten up to speed technically, just the way it is
This has kind of been my impression generally, hence the questions.....

Thx all, this is good stuff to kick around.

Edited by BeeR

PS lol @ CIO thing.

We actually have about 3 dozen or so PM position opened for the new GSD here. All of the PM positions receive the same level of technical training as the technical groups and it's all paid for or done internally on site. If you're interested, PM me.

"This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or they are in a member group not allowed to use the personal messenger." (FYI)

Anyway thx, but I'm a good bit farther South and not looking to move......this area just totally sucks for jobs :wacko: