[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bunning explains

driveby

By Jim Bunning

I have been serving the citizens of Kentucky for nearly 24 years in Washington. During that time I have been a member of both the House of Representatives and the United States Senate. I have taken thousands of votes in relation to spending the taxpayers' money. I will be the first one to admit that I have cast some bad votes during my tenure, and I wish I could have some of them back. For too long, both Republicans and Democrats have treated the taxpayers' money as a slush fund that does not ever end. At some point, the madness has to stop.

Over a month ago, Democrats passed and President Obama signed into law the "Pay-Go" legislation. It calls on Congress to pay for bills by not adding to our debt. It sounds like a common sense tool that would rein in government spending. Unfortunately, Pay-Go is a paper tiger. It has no teeth. I did not vote for the Democrats' Pay-Go legislation because I knew it was just a political dog-and-pony show to get some good press after some political setbacks. Since the Pay-Go rule was enacted, the national debt has gone up $244,992,297,448.11 (as of Wednesday, that is).

Why now?

Last week, Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., asked to pass a 30-day extensions bill for unemployment insurance and other federal programs. Earlier in February, those extensions were included in a broader bipartisan bill that was paid for but did not meet Sen. Reid's approval, and he nixed the deal. When I saw the Democrats in Congress were going to vote on the extensions bill without paying for it and not following their own Pay-Go rules, I said enough is enough.

Many people asked me, "Why now?" My answer is, "Why not now?" Why can't a non-controversial measure in the Senate that would help those in need be paid for? If the Senate cannot find $10 billion to pay for a measure we all support, we will never pay for anything.

America is under a mountain of debt. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said in a hearing last month that the United States' debt is unsustainable. We are on the verge of a tipping point where America's debt will bring down our economy, and more people will join the unemployment lines. That is why I used my right as a United States Senator and objected.

Only in Washington

After four legislative days of impasse, I reached a supposed deal with Majority Leader Reid to have an up-or-down vote on a pay-for amendment that would fully fund the legislation and not add to the debt. Only minutes before the vote, Democrats used a parliamentary maneuver to set aside my amendment and not vote on the actual substance of it. Only in Washington could this happen. The Democrats did not want to vote on my amendment because they knew they were in the wrong and ignored their own rules. Hypocrisy again rules the day in Washington.

I have 40 grandchildren, and I want them to grow up in a country where they have all of the same opportunities I had as a child. I fear that they will not have those opportunities if Washington continues on its course of spending without paying for it. We are at over $12 trillion in debt. I know many Americans sit around their kitchen table and make the tough decisions. It is time for the politicians in Washington to do the same.

And there you have it. :wacko: Good job Bunning.

Are you clapping for what he wrote or how busy he must have been to have 40 grandchildren?

Seriously Bunning is on the right side of this issue, and anyone that argues otherwise is being blindly partisan, unless we are missing some substantial facts.

Tougher decisions than keeping handouts going to those that don't want to work for another 30 days are going to be made before the deficit is brought under control before bankrupting this country. I don't think most are prepared for that at all.

His point is correct . . the issue he chose to make is point with was absolutely horrible and inexcusable.

What other bill has been passed since the Dems voted for pay as you go that has not been funded? Do you think the rule shouldn't be applied here?

His point is correct . . the issue he chose to make is point with was absolutely horrible and inexcusable.

Last week, Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., asked to pass a 30-day extensions bill for unemployment insurance and other federal programs. Earlier in February, those extensions were included in a broader bipartisan bill that was paid for but did not meet Sen. Reid's approval, and he nixed the deal.

So why all the anger at Bunning, and none for Reid, looks like he kicked the unemployed when they were down too.

Last week, Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., asked to pass a 30-day extensions bill for unemployment insurance and other federal programs. Earlier in February, those extensions were included in a broader bipartisan bill that was paid for but did not meet Sen. Reid's approval, and he nixed the deal.

So why all the anger at Bunning, and none for Reid, looks like he kicked the unemployed when they were down too.

I would give you a +1 but I already know the answer.

I would give you a +1 but I already know the answer.

crickets from the left

Tougher decisions than keeping handouts going to those that don't want to work for another 30 days are going to be made before the deficit is brought under control before bankrupting this country. I don't think most are prepared for that at all.

WHY CAN EVERYONE ELSE NOT SEE THIS????

Timmay hits this one out of the fricken' park. It's like these lawmakers (and everyone else in DC) are fricken' meth addicts who keep saying "One more, then I'm off the stuff for good!"

There will ALWAYS be SOMEONE who will be put into dire straights if this or that legislation doesn't pass. The boot has to come down sometime. :wacko:

crickets from the left

Hey, I happen agree with Bunning. I just wish it had been a democrat who stood up to Reid, is all. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and its time for Democrats to get realistic. Another 30 days turns into another before you know it. If we know how we're going to pay for it, fine. Otherwise there's no point to having unemployment benefits expire in the first place.

Ehh . . . I still dont agree with the unemploymnet benefits. First, these are paid into by employers. Second, these are people that were gainfully employed before the economy dropped out, not people sitting on welfare . . .

Bunning's point is correct, but could have picked a better spot to make his futile stand. It isnt like there will be any more issues to stand up to congress (BOTH PARTIES) creating exemptions for this. It is amazing that everyone now cares more about Senate rules and parlimentary procedure than ever before . . .:wacko:

I also know of two people in my neighborhood that are really struggling because of job losses, one family that had both parents lose their jobs, so I am pretty close to the issue, which admittedly is coloring my views.