[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wireless Router Help

darin3

I guess I should just go to the Buffalo Router forums for this, but whatever. :D

I am running a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router and I use Time Warner Cable internet. And running WinXP.

Went into my wireless network connections and noticed my network is unsecured. :D

The IPconfig for Buffalo is 192.168.11.1, but when I type that into my browser, it times out. :D

But when I put my IP in, it takes me to dd-wrt, which according to Buffalo's tech support, is a third party firmware. Thus, Buffalo's tech support can't help me out. :wacko: I don't see anywhere in the utilities where I can set a new network password.

Sounds like I have something backwards. I reinstalled Buffalo's network connection utility, and I see a place for encryption method, but have no idea what I need to select. I'm still not able to access my config from the right IP address.

Any clue what's up here?

Edited by darin3

I guess I should just go to the Buffalo Router forums for this, but whatever. :D

I am running a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router and I use Time Warner Cable internet. And running WinXP.

Went into my wireless network connections and noticed my network is unsecured. :D

The IPconfig for Buffalo is 192.168.11.1, but when I type that into my browser, it times out. :D

But when I put my IP in, it takes me to dd-wrt, which according to Buffalo's tech support, is a third party firmware. Thus, Buffalo's tech support can't help me out. :wacko: I don't see anywhere in the utilities where I can set a new network password.

Sounds like I have something backwards. I reinstalled Buffalo's network connection utility, and I see a place for encryption method, but have no idea what I need to select. I'm still not able to access my config from the right IP address.

Any clue what's up here?

You sure it's not 192.168.1.1?

Edit: Also, try a simple ping from a command prompt:

ping 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.11.1)

Edited by Ursa Majoris

You sure it's not 192.168.1.1?

Edit: Also, try a simple ping from a command prompt:

ping 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.11.1)

192.168.1.1 also times out.

also, when i run ipconfig, the window pops up and closes on its own too quickly... :wacko:

BTW, I'm computer-dumb.

k nevermind i opened command prompt, pinged both, both time out.. :D

Edited by darin3

192.168.1.1 also times out.

also, when i run ipconfig, the window pops up and closes on its own too quickly... :wacko:

BTW, I'm computer-dumb.

k nevermind i opened command prompt, pinged both, both time out.. :D

Open the command prompt, try ipconfig /all. This will give you a mass of what looks like gobbledegook. Assuming you're on a connected computer, you should see Default Gateway somewhere. Scroll back up if you need to. What's the IP address? That should be your router.

Open the command prompt, try ipconfig /all. This will give you a mass of what looks like gobbledegook. Assuming you're on a connected computer, you should see Default Gateway somewhere. Scroll back up if you need to. What's the IP address? That should be your router.

:wacko:

Yeah I think I must have something plugged in wrong or something. The IP address is what I have to type to get to the dd-wrt utilities... but shouldn't I have to input the 192.168.11.1 to get to my router config?

So confused.

Yeah I think I must have something plugged in wrong or something. The IP address is what I have to type to get to the dd-wrt utilities... but shouldn't I have to input the 192.168.11.1 to get to my router config?

So confused.

192.168.x.x is a non-routable Internet IP address set. It's used for internal LAN traffic only, hence it's the default for a router's internal interface (the LAN or local side of the router). There is no Internet site with that address. I guess you're being passed there as the default home page or something like that. dd-wrt is a site dealing in a LINUX based router firmware, as you say.

Gotta think about this.

192.168.x.x is a non-routable Internet IP address set. It's used for internal LAN traffic only, hence it's the default for a router's internal interface (the LAN or local side of the router). There is no Internet site with that address. I guess you're being passed there as the default home page or something like that. dd-wrt is a site dealing in a LINUX based router firmware, as you say.

Gotta think about this.

I was hoping that the re-installation of the Buffalo utility would over-write this dd-wrt firmware. Or schit, if I could just figure out how to add encryption/network password using dd-wrt. :wacko:

I was hoping that the re-installation of the Buffalo utility would over-write this dd-wrt firmware. Or schit, if I could just figure out how to add encryption/network password using dd-wrt. :wacko:

Looking back at the first post, I'm confused now too. Everything is obviously working or you wouldn't be here. Ever find out the default gateway from ipconfig /all?

Looking back at the first post, I'm confused now too. Everything is obviously working or you wouldn't be here. Ever find out the default gateway from ipconfig /all?

My internet is working, yes... the problem is getting into my router's configuration so I can turn on the encryption / set network password.

I know what the default gateway is. Is that where I should be seeing the 198.162... number? Cuz it's not that number.

My internet is working, yes... the problem is getting into my router's configuration so I can turn on the encryption / set network password.

I know what the default gateway is. Is that where I should be seeing the 198.162... number? Cuz it's not that number.

Yes, the default gateway is usually the internal IP of the router. Definitely should be 192.168.11.1, according to the manual.

This is the site for downloads, manuals and stuff.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Yes, the default gateway is usually the internal IP of the router. Definitely should be 192.168.11.1, according to the manual.

This is the site for downloads, manuals and stuff.

Yeah I downloaded the manual, but uh... :D:D

That dd-wrt has a stranglehold on the firmware.

Just a little joke.

I head down to south Austin on Sat mornings. Buy me a breakfast taco and I'll stop by.

:D If I didn't have to work Saturday mornings I'd be all over that... I'm right off the 35 and on your way down. :wacko:

D/L and install Network Magic. (free for 7 days) It can act like a router interface and should let you set a WPA-2 password. It will also give you all the other info.

I had that on a previous laptop. I think TheGrunt, or whoever his brother is here, worked for that company. :wacko: Where are those guys?

I had that on a previous laptop. I think TheGrunt, or whoever his brother is here, worked for that company. :wacko: Where are those guys?

The Grunt only comes occasionally ahd thederwin was missing for a while now.

Yeah, it was thecerwin. D...try it anyway. It won't hurt and could help.

FWIW...Last Sunday I spent ~8+ hours on the phone when I couldn't get on the internets. 3 hours between Comcast and D-Link resetting, re-booting, etc. only to find out the router went south. Went out got a new router and it worked w/ no agravation at all. I spent the next ~5 hours w/ Toshiba and HP, cause my Vista LT couldn't find my printer on my XP desktop eventhough my other Dell LT found it no problem. Anyway it was a tech from HP (3rd one) that resolved it and used Network Magic to do it, or so he said.

Yeah, it was thecerwin. D...try it anyway. It won't hurt and could help.

FWIW...Last Sunday I spent ~8+ hours on the phone when I couldn't get on the internets. 3 hours between Comcast and D-Link resetting, re-booting, etc. only to find out the router went south. Went out got a new router and it worked w/ no agravation at all. I spent the next ~5 hours w/ Toshiba and HP, cause my Vista LT couldn't find my printer on my XP desktop eventhough my other Dell LT found it no problem. Anyway it was a tech from HP (3rd one) that resolved it and used Network Magic to do it, or so he said.

I have a kickass Belkin router sitting in factory packaging on my desk in my office. I'm considering just scrapping the Buffalo and starting from scratch since a] Buffalo's tech support is a freakin' joke (think Jimmy Fallon's "mooooove" IT guy skit from SNL) and b] I couldn't sell the Belkin router on Craigslist. :wacko:

(and in case you're readiing, Hhara, the M-I-L already bought a router when you gave me this bitchin'-ass router...)

Edited by darin3

:D

I have a kickass Belkin router sitting in factory packaging on my desk in my office. I'm considering just scrapping the Buffalo and starting from scratch since a] Buffalo's tech support is a freakin' joke (think Jimmy Fallon's "mooooove" IT guy skit from SNL) and b] I couldn't sell the Belkin router on Craigslist. :wacko:

(and in case you're readiing, Hhara, the M-I-L already bought a router when you gave me this bitchin'-ass router...)

:D

Belkins are cheap crap according to most. That being said, I've had three. One bought when I first got wireless back in '02 or so (maybe 03/04?) that got hit with a line surge during a storm, the second (a "G" to replace the other) in like '06 (which was moved to Dad's about a year ago and still works fine to this day) and an "N" that was purchased just so the kids could get on line with the Wii and Nintendo DS. They occasionally require re-booting (just unplug for 90 seconds and plug back in) but I've never had trouble with any of them, always got them installed and configured properly the first time, and the first two were purchased for sales tax (rebate and sale making cost zero) while the last cost me $40 (IIRC). So yeah, I'm a big fan, actually.

So confused.

You should be able to change any setting you need through dd-wrt. Once that firmware is on the router, it takes the place of the Buffalo firmware. Buffalo tech support can't help that. It would be like calling Dell for tech support after installing Linux.

You should be able to change any setting you need through dd-wrt. Once that firmware is on the router, it takes the place of the Buffalo firmware. Buffalo tech support can't help that. It would be like calling Dell for tech support after installing Linux.

This is the bit I don't get - how did it get on there?