[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Patio Doggie Door

Footballjoe

The working schedule in of my wife may soon change and she will be leaving for work much earlier than she use to. Looks like she will be offered a full time job. :wacko: This means we will need to install a doggie door. I was thinking about using one of those attachments to a sliding patio door. Do any of you have one? Are they any good? My only other option would be to cut a hole in the door off the in laundry room but that would involve rearraging that rrom and keep the bifold door open entering that room.

absolutely, mine was an insert about a foot wide or so, they make them for small, med, lg dogs....you open the sliding glass door and insert the panel...that's why I added weatherstripping. I also got a door jamb thingy, like a metal pipe thingama-jig, to place where the sliding glass door glides to lock everything up. Sorry for the non-techinical terms, hopefully u know what I'm talking about....

can the door still be used as a slider without removing the extension?

like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xmx...catalogId=10053

and get one of these for security since you , of course, won't be able to lock the door w/o removing panel:

http://www.cn-supplyinc.com/servlet/the-14...ass-Door/Detail

in my experience, the sliding door inserts kinda suck. you lose that much of your door opening, they let in a lot of wind and cold, and they look pretty bad. my mom did one where she got a doggie door put right into the glass of the sliding door (I think it required putting in all new glass), and that is an enormous improvement. costs more, but it's so much better, well worth it.

in my experience, the sliding door inserts kinda suck. you lose that much of your door opening, they let in a lot of wind and cold, and they look pretty bad. my mom did one where she got a doggie door put right into the glass of the sliding door (I think it required putting in all new glass), and that is an enormous improvement. costs more, but it's so much better, well worth it.

Agreed. Had the one that fits in the slider, it kinda sucked for the reasons Az mentioned. It worked and all, served it's purpose, etc., but it was far from ideal. I ended up putting one in right in the wall, framed it out, etc. That worked out awesome.

You can see it here in the background: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/vpf.../Picture082.jpg

Cool, another empty home w. a doggie door. That is how I get into my neighbors house while they are away and eat their Cheetos.

Good luck. I have a large doggie door because I have 2 large dogs. They have large teeth. Oh, and they would have eaten the Cheetos long before you got there.

Good luck. I have a large doggie door because I have 2 large dogs. They have large teeth. Oh, and they would have eaten the Cheetos long before you got there.

You have it all wrong, you have to get to know the dogs first. Then you can go in and eat the Cheetos.

You have it all wrong, you have to get to know the dogs first. Then you can go in and eat the Cheetos.

I would try training the dog to operate the doorknob so he could let himself in and out just like a human. Give him a set of keys and reward him with treats when he gets it right. Some dogs can also be trained to sign for packages.

But what do you do when after you get by the dogs you are attacked by a large killer parrot, like at my house? :wacko:

Polly always wants a cracker...

Still trying to decide what way to go. Since I want to install a large door I got the measurements needed. I then built a frame out of some scrap 2 x 4's and some plywood and set it in place. Found that I can barely squeeze out the door. I use this door to much to deal with that and I do not want to be constantly installing and removing it. I think the idea of going through the wall might be the best way to go although I really did not want to do that. I can install it a few feet away from the patio door on an adjacent wall. I have a bay window there and the overhang of the window may help in keeping out any rain. I guess it either that or look into seeing what it will cost to have one put in the patio door glass.