[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

cali on life support

dmarc117

Texas having trouble too.

Estimates of the budget hole range from a very conservative figure of $11 billion to more than $15 billion.

Budget cuts are already in the offing. State leaders are expected to pull the trigger soon on about $1 billion in spending trims, which could include prison guard layoffs and reduced payments to doctors and other Medicaid providers.

Legalized it!! :wacko:

It sure will save on the cost to keep all those people in prison.

ok so i'm not a pot smoker but i agree with the state selling it and getting all the tax revenus off it! this would close the budget and keep people employed. You dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure this out. People are doing it anyways and have been for hundreds of years, why does it take the goverment forever to figure out a solution its right in front of your face people.

Posted by: christina

:D for realz

Edited by WaterMan

$4.7 Billion of Texas' problem could be done away with if all the illegals were deported. It would probably be more than that as that only figures in the cost of education, health care, and incarceration. If you figure the sales taxes lost by all the money illegals send back to Mexico that would stay here if those positions were filled by American workers it would a save another $1 Billion. Texas will be fine. We will make some cuts and raise the sales tax temporarily as we currently have one of the lower state tax burdens.

Texas businesses would suffer from diminished profits. I thought you were pro business. :wacko:

I'm for the rule of law. Also I don't think business owners would lose nearly as much as you think. Do you like subsidizing these shady businesses by paying for their employees health care, and their kids education? I don't. I am pro-business, pro-legal business. I'm also convinced that most of us would end up better off for having a cheaper tax bill or more services for our taxes actually going to us.

If you figure the sales taxes lost by all the money illegals send back to Mexico that would stay here if those positions were filled by American workers it would a save another $1 Billion.

:wacko:

Illegals don't buy stuff?

Based on a study I read not to long ago it said the average illegal sends 20% of his income back to Mexico. We don't get sales tax on that money.

And 80% gets spent. Will you really fill all those jobs from American labor?

BTW, I'm no fan of illegal immigration as I've said many times but there needs to be some method of importing low-wage labor.

Texas having trouble too.

Estimates of the budget hole range from a very conservative figure of $11 billion to more than $15 billion.

Budget cuts are already in the offing. State leaders are expected to pull the trigger soon on about $1 billion in spending trims, which could include prison guard layoffs and reduced payments to doctors and other Medicaid providers.

illinois is a close second. good times!

And 80% gets spent. Will you really fill all those jobs from American labor?

BTW, I'm no fan of illegal immigration as I've said many times but there needs to be some method of importing low-wage labor.

First off, most of the low wage labor is in agriculture, yet immigrants only make up 28% of the agriculture workforce. That means that 72% of that work force is currently supplied by American labor. If the illegals were all deported overnight (as if it could happen that fast) there would be a labor void which would increase demand for labor. Based on the laws of supply and demand this would increase wages for these low wage jobs in order to fill the need. At the same time employers would look at ways to eliminate some of the jobs they would be having difficulty filling. The result would be blue collar workers making more money (a lib like you would have to like that), but each one would be more productive (which makes a conservative like me happy).

Immigration of unskilled workers, particularly illegal immigration holds down natural wage growth. Interestingly enough minimum wage laws weren't introduced until the 1930's following the mass immigration of the 1920s. I'm sure that is just a coincidence. Any way immigration serves as subsidy for a low wage, low productivity business model that hampers technological advancement and productivity growth.

if illegals were deported and immigration was limited to skilled workers that are self supporting then the cost of good would go up a little bit, but the cost on society would go down significantly. Soon the increased cost would equalize and we would all be more prosperous. Workers would make slightly more, business owners would be able to expect more productivity, and it would spur technological growth. Sure there would be some short term discomfort, but that pales in comparison to the troubles we will have in the next 30 to 40 years if we don't start doing something to slow down the immigration of unskilled labor, particularly unskilled labor that does not in many cases pay taxes, and is much more likely to use our social services, and break our laws (not just immigration laws).

Edited by Perchoutofwater