[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

States "going broke," can't pay unemployment

BeeR

There is going to be a whole lot more of this as more states teeter on the brink of insolvency. Not to be a chicken little, but looking at the finincial health of local municipalities, states and feds does little to assure anybody about the future. Education, infrastructure, government pensions - just going to get profoundly ugly. :wacko:

Well aren't you supposed to share :wacko:

:tup:

The only reason I pointed out the article was 4 months old was because I read the whole thing with the impression that it was a recent article,; I'm guessing the original poster thought the same or didn't realize that it's April 2010.

Edited by bushwacked

Somehow, I think that the states / feds would react differently to me, if say, I told them, sorry, I'm broke, I can't pay my property taxes.

They can still take my stuff.

But, if I'm unemployed and would like to get unemployment benefits (after having had them deducted from my check for the last upteen years) and I can't get them, what do I do? Go to the state capital and abscond with a few road signs and try to hock them on eBay or craigslist? :wacko:

But, if I'm unemployed and would like to get unemployment benefits (after having had them deducted from my check for the last upteen years) and I can't get them, what do I do?

Switch "unemployment benefits" with "social security" and you've got everyone under 40's conundrum.

Most of the 40 states in trouble are borrowingmoney from the fed? Who are the 10 states?

State Deficit in ($) millions Deficit as percent of spending Rank by percent

Arkansas 223 4.7 41

Tennessee 511 4.5 42

South Dakota 54 4.2 43

Vermont 30 2.3 44

Utah 117 2.1 45

Mississippi 96 1.8 46

Hawaii 80 1.5 47

New Mexico 0 0 48

North Dakota 0 0 49

Wyoming 0 0 50

:wacko:

Edit to add: my careful spacing didn't carry over - 41st to 50th ranked states in deficit spending - top to bottom.

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

Blame here lies with the leadership of the states for receiving money from lobbyists in their Red vs Blue fued instead of creating jobs.

My state has one of the highest unemployment. We aren't stripped down by unions or other excuses. Rather our governor was spending tax payer money, while running as family and god first, to fly first class to cheat on his wife.

And maybe history will show how cutting taxes and fighting two wars is a bad idea.

Edited by WaterMan

Arkansas 223 4.7 41

Tennessee 511 4.5 42

South Dakota 54 4.2 43

Vermont 30 2.3 44

Utah 117 2.1 45

Mississippi 96 1.8 46

Hawaii 80 1.5 47

New Mexico 0 0 48

North Dakota 0 0 49

Wyoming 0 0 50

:tup:

Edit to add: my careful spacing didn't carry over - 41st to 50th ranked states in deficit spending - top to bottom.

sorry JN, that link's older than the 1st one in this thread. :wacko:

I bet if someone correlated these rankings with the rankings of public schools on a state-by-state basis, that they'd be pretty uncorrelated.

If true, I guess it's possible that all the "smart states" tried to outthink simple tried-and-true rules (i.e., don't spend what you don't have).

Arkansas 223 4.7 41

Tennessee 511 4.5 42

South Dakota 54 4.2 43

Vermont 30 2.3 44

Utah 117 2.1 45

Mississippi 96 1.8 46

Hawaii 80 1.5 47

New Mexico 0 0 48

North Dakota 0 0 49

Wyoming 0 0 50

That info was from 2003

You know, plenty of people here on these boards have chastised individuals for getting themselves into debt, running up credit cards, etc. Why do we continue to allow our governments to do it and not say a damn thing? And when I say we don't say a damn thing, I mean with our votes rather then the usual bluster that everyone seems to prepared to spew forth.

Stop voting for more of the same! Don't vote Republican OR Democrat!

You know, plenty of people here on these boards have chastised individuals for getting themselves into debt, running up credit cards, etc. Why do we continue to allow our governments to do it and not say a damn thing? And when I say we don't say a damn thing, I mean with our votes rather then the usual bluster that everyone seems to prepared to spew forth.

Stop voting for more of the same! Don't vote Republican OR Democrat!

KC, you just made my pants tight. :wacko:

When you two "independents" put as much energy into damning the GOP as you do into Obama, that'll be occasion for :pantstight:. Not expecting any zipperbusting any time soon.

When the liberals really give a chit about civil liberties again, then it'll get back to 50/50. They haven't since the 80's.

When you two "independents" put as much energy into damning the GOP as you do into Obama, that'll be occasion for :pantstight:. Not expecting any zipperbusting any time soon.

And ho much time do I spend damning Obama? Go look.

I damn certain programs, and I think you will find if you look through my posts that I regularly encourage people not to vote for Repubs or Dems.

What is it the Rebubs have accomplished in the last 2 years that you want me to damn? Check out how I felt about the original stimulus package under Bush. I bet you'll find that I did not support it.

Check out my comments on McCain. I'll bet you'll find that I was damning of McCain before the national election.

The Dems have had a congressional majority for almost 4 years now, combined with a RINO and then with a Statist. They have been the tyrants for the last 4ish years. When Republicans start actually pushing legislation through that sucks and that has the kind of dramatic effect that, say, the stimulus or the health care package have had then you can call me out if I am sitting around happily about it.

I don't comment all that much these days on political issues because quite frankly I find most of the people that participate in the threads to be nasty about it, and I don't want to get dragged down to that level.