[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hip-Hop Legend Guru Dies at 43...

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/hip-hop-legend-g...-at-43/39498?nc

Guru, the pioneering hip-hop legend who united jazz and hip-hop as a solo artist and half of the influential duo Gang Starr, has died. He was 43.

Guru, whose real name was Keith Elam, died Monday after a battle with cancer, his producer, Solar, told MTV. Guru was hospitalized late February after suffering cardiac arrest and was briefly in a coma.

During his final days, Guru penned a farewell letter to his fans to be released upon his death, Solar said.

"I, Guru, am writing this letter to my fans, friends and loved ones around the world. I have had a long battle with cancer and have succumbed to the disease," the letter read. "I have suffered with this illness for over a year. I have exhausted all medical options. I have a non-profit organization called Each One Counts dedicated to carrying on my charitable work on behalf of abused and disadvantaged children from around the world and also to educate and research a cure for this terrible disease that took my life. I write this with tears in my eyes, not of sorrow but of joy for what a wonderful life I have enjoyed and how many great people I have had the pleasure of meeting." (Read the whole letter here.)

Those mourning Guru included Ice-T, who tweeted Monday that he was "paralyzed with sorrow."

"Guru... Rest In Peace O.G." he added. "I miss you."

Guru first found fame in the late '80s when he partnered with DJ Premier to form Gang Starr, releasing such classic albums as No More Mr. Nice Guy and Step in the Arena. Though Guru was rooted in Boston and Premier in Houston, their sound came to define the dense New York underground rap sound — one characterized by jazz loops and complex rhymes.

In 1993, Guru released his first solo album, Jazzmatazz Vol. 1, the first of his four-volume Jazzmatazz series. The disc featured collaborations with such notable jazz musicians as Donald Byrd and Roy Ayers.

Guru reteamed with DJ Premier to release three more Gang Starr albums, the last of which, The Ownerz, hit shelves in 2003. But the two had a falling out, and Guru wrote in his letter that he didn't want Premier to participate in any tributes following his death.

In recent years, Guru worked with Solar, who produced Guru's final Jazzmatazz installment and two other solo albums.

Guru is survived by a son, KC.

Ok, not to be harsh, because when someone dies it is sad... But is this really newsworthy? Never heard of him... I mean it's not like it was Eazy-E, Slick Rick, Grand Master Flash, or any one who was really famous. Any way, my condolences to his family. And my appreciation to him for setting up a foundation to carry on his charitable work. ANd my sincere regret that cancer, such a profoundly horrible and vicious disease, has taken another life.

Ok, not to be harsh, because when someone dies it is sad... But is this really newsworthy? Never heard of him... I mean it's not like it was Eazy-E, Slick Rick, Grand Master Flash, or any one who was really famous. Any way, my condolences to his family. And my appreciation to him for setting up a foundation to carry on his charitable work. ANd my sincere regret that cancer, such a profoundly horrible and vicious disease, has taken another life.

You're right. If you haven't heard of someone, it's not newsworthy. From now on, the news should only consist of people that SEC=UGA has heard of.

Edited by Jackass

"Hip-Hop" and "Legend" should never be used in the same sentence, IMO. Kinda like saying "the legendary Egyptian downhill skier".

So many lines! This cat had soooo many lines!! Guru became a legend over 10 years ago. So many hit songs. Classic after classic. He was never flashy or hungry for headlines, so it wouldn't surprise me that those that aren't in the hip-hop world wouldn't know who he was, but to those inside the ropes, this is the saddest day the hip-hop community has had in probably almost a decade. Guru was always original, always crisp. I remember rewinding Mass Appeal time after time after time to try to get his words right. Ex Girl to Next Girl. You Know My Steez, Suckaz Need BodyGuards! Ohhhh man. I just got lost in Youtube land. Rite Where U Stand, a little newer, but still so clean!! Full Clip. AhhhH!! Here is a link to Mass Appeal. What year was this, like 93? Do yourself a favor and check it out.

You're right. If you haven't heard of someone, it's not newsworthy. From now on, the news should only consist of people that SEC=UGA has heard of.

+1

So many lines! This cat had soooo many lines!! Guru became a legend over 10 years ago. So many hit songs. Classic after classic. He was never flashy or hungry for headlines, so it wouldn't surprise me that those that aren't in the hip-hop world wouldn't know who he was, but to those inside the ropes, this is the saddest day the hip-hop community has had in probably almost a decade. Guru was always original, always crisp. I remember rewinding Mass Appeal time after time after time to try to get his words right. Ex Girl to Next Girl. You Know My Steez, Suckaz Need BodyGuards! Ohhhh man. I just got lost in Youtube land. Rite Where U Stand, a little newer, but still so clean!! Full Clip. AhhhH!! Here is a link to Mass Appeal. What year was this, like 93? Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Nice. I'm not as familiar with him as you are. I do own Jazzmatazz volume 1 and it's a pretty awesome album. For those not in the know, it's not typical hip-hop - as mentioned above he was a pioneer of merging hip-hop and jazz. He does tracks with Brandon Marsalis among others.

"Hip-Hop" and "Legend" should never be used in the same sentence, IMO. Kinda like saying "the legendary Egyptian downhill skier".

Guru isn't exactly Tupac...or Biggie....

there is some good Hip Hop out there, but not if you're short sighted...

I keep a balance of music that I listen to and Gangstarr is actually good...

he's actually in that same category.....he's in Gangstarr which have been around since the 80's...

Guru isn't exactly Tupac...or Biggie....

there is some good Hip Hop out there, but not if you're short sighted...

I keep a balance of music that I listen to and Gangstarr is actually good...

I've heard plenty of hip-hop, and frankly can't stand it....why does that make me short-shortsighted? :wacko:

I've heard plenty of hip-hop, and frankly can't stand it....why does that make me short-shortsighted? :wacko:

Because there's a lot of good hip-hop music out there. You're grouping everything into a few bands that you may have heard on the radio. But whatever, nevermind.

Because there's a lot of good hip-hop music out there. You're grouping everything into a few bands that you may have heard on the radio. But whatever, nevermind.

Hello, hello, hello, how low

hello, hello, hello, how low

With the lights out, it's less dangerous

here we are now, entertain us

I feel stupid and contagious

here we are now entertain us

A mulato

An Albino

A Mosquito

My Libido

Yeah!!!!!

Hello, hello, hello, how low

hello, hello, hello, how low

With the lights out, it's less dangerous

here we are now, entertain us

I feel stupid and contagious

here we are now entertain us

A mulato

An Albino

A Mosquito

My Libido

Yeah!!!!!

How can you argue with lyrics like that? I can just imagine poor Kurt, hole in the back of his head, brain matter and spinal fluid covering the wall behind him. Ahh, the good old days...

How can you argue with lyrics like that? I can just imagine poor Kurt, hole in the back of his head, brain matter and spinal fluid covering the wall behind him. Ahh, the good old days...

it's just ashame that he helped spawn an era of no talent....

it's just ashame that he helped spawn an era of no talent....

I beg to differ... Nirvana, Alice in Chains, STP, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Pumpkins, may have been the greatest sextet of bands out at one time, EVER!!!

Noe the crap bands that followed from 95-today really need to go away.

I beg to differ... Nirvana, Alice in Chains, STP, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Pumpkins, may have been the greatest sextet of bands out at one time, EVER!!!

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are the only one's I liked off that list and my list doesn't get much bigger for that era entirely....

but I'm more of a 70's guy myself....a little bit of 80's and even less 90's...

SEC, were you born in Georgia? Because I picture you singing that with a banjo in the background being really twangy. :wacko:

I play a mean jug and washboard also....

My, my aren't we full of ourselves today. Greatest sextet ever? Sorry, not even close. While they weren't bad and each had their moments (even though Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins suck hard in my book), none of them were great and maybe more importantly, none of them lasted. Now I know that a lot of bands implode due to personality issues but I'm thinking it takes more than three albums to be considered great.

My, my aren't we full of ourselves today. Greatest sextet ever? Sorry, not even close. While they weren't bad and each had their moments (even though Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins suck hard in my book), none of them were great and maybe more importantly, none of them lasted. Now I know that a lot of bands implode due to personality issues but I'm thinking it takes more than three albums to be considered great.

Alice in Chains imo is the only group worth mentioning here....they weren't as "grungy" as the others....

as I said earlier....the 90's started an era of no talent...