[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When the end of the rope arrives....

Rovers

sooooo happy for you and glad that you are doing well! That's a tough job, most couldn't do...a perfect mix of artistry and physical strength. Can u fly down to TX and spruce up my landscaping?

If he does that, make him bring the beer (Home made preferably! :wacko: ) and then he can do my yard on his way home!

Thanks everyone. Like I said, I was practically pushed into this biz. After I finally healed up from spinal fusion surgery, with no job, I took on my own backyard, which was a mess. After I found out the body held up, and having a friend who was a landscvaper (nice guy, but untrained and well, somewhat... I don't want to say dishonest... but he operated in some ways I thought unethical). He is struggling, and I'm turning down customers.

I went into this saying "I'll make it work or die trying." I'm not dead yet! I'm just grateful that God has so blessed me... He has always shown up when I most needed Him. Sometimes a lttle freakin late IMHO, but He's shown up!

Hard work, honesty, determination.... it's still a combo that works. So, maybe for some who are struggling, I can offer some light at the end of the tunnel. RR knows just how bad things had gotten for me. A great friend and the best Huddler there is. That man stood by me when others did not based on hearsay and rumor. If you can call RR a friend, you are a very lucky person. I am privledged to call him friend.

Thanks everyone. Like I said, I was practically pushed into this biz. After I finally healed up from spinal fusion surgery, with no job, I took on my own backyard, which was a mess. After I found out the body held up, and having a friend who was a landscvaper (nice guy, but untrained and well, somewhat... I don't want to say dishonest... but he operated in some ways I thought unethical). He is struggling, and I'm turning down customers.

I went into this saying "I'll make it work or die trying." I'm not dead yet! I'm just grateful that God has so blessed me... He has always shown up when I most needed Him. Sometimes a lttle freakin late IMHO, but He's shown up!

Hard work, honesty, determination.... it's still a combo that works. So, maybe for some who are struggling, I can offer some light at the end of the tunnel. RR knows just how bad things had gotten for me. A great friend and the best Huddler there is. That man stood by me when others did not based on hearsay and rumor. If you can call RR a friend, you are a very lucky person. I am privledged to call him friend.

John,

I am humbled. Your post brought a tear to my eye. If I helped you in anyway, I am happy. I am also proud to call you a friend and I always will be. I don't use the "friend" word easily (though around this place it IS PRETTY EASY. Many stellar people here. Too many to mention but yall know who you are). Your attitude/demeanor is commendable.... no exemplary! You are a great person that had a walk thru hell, but came out a little singed, but no worse for the wear and your still fighting like a bulldog! My best to you. :wacko: You mentioned it earlier...FAMILY!!!! If you have both friends and family...you have the world by the nuts and only you...YOU can make it happen or screw it up. You have chosen to make it happen!

May God Bless you my friend!

rr26

Tom Robin

You are truly an inspiration. Personally, I love sitting on my ass and doing nothing but I've never thought about making it my life's goal! But to hell with it... I'm gonna make it happen. :wacko: now, if I could just think of a way to get paid for it....

Seriously though, many of us don't even know what it is that will make us happy. You are doubly blessed to not only know what that is, but to make it successful... Congrats on finding what most of us are seeking... true happiness. :tup:

Honestly.... posting this and reading the posts, has only made me feel more grateful, and yea, a little bit prouder about what I have managed to accomplish. I rememeber walking through neighborhoods 3 years ago, freezing my buns off in February, delivering door hangers on a wing and a prayer. All I had an old small pickup and a litle rinky dink trailer to start with. That, and desperation and determination.

Now I drive around in a new Ford F150 with a matching white enclosed trailer and look like the guys I used to envy in my first year. I often drive by the homes I've landscaped on days when I don't have to mow them, just to enjoy the work I have done.

I did one older man's house, gutted everything and and replanted the entire property. It was overgrown with maples trees and ivy. We ripped it ALL out, and went from bare dirt. Retaining wall and new plantings, sod, and the front of the house went from the worst to the best on the street. That led me to get the folks from across the street as customers. They like to tell me how Mr. Kelly comes out of his house across the street every morning and just look at everything. He was a lonely widower, and pretty isolated. Now, he talks to all the nieghbors about his plants and lawn. He and I have become friends. My work has improved his life, and knowing him has enriched mine.

As soon as the newly seeded backyard comes in, I will take an Hibachi and drag him out to his new yard for a BBQ. I get PAID for this. I get PAID for this! Paid for making someone's life more enjoyable?

Oh, and Scooby.... that wierd grass you Texans have to grow, St Augustine, centipede, zoysia... it aint grass. It's cut straw, and I don't know anything about straw! If it aint Kentucky Blue and Rye.... it's ugly! Midwest aint much better with their tall fescue. Grass is soft, comfy to lay upon, even if naked! Nuthin better than sex on a plush lawn of Kentucky Blue! :wacko:

Oh, and Scooby.... that wierd grass you Texans have to grow, St Augustine, centipede, zoysia... it aint grass. It's cut straw, and I don't know anything about straw! If it aint Kentucky Blue and Rye.... it's ugly! Midwest aint much better with their tall fescue. Grass is soft, comfy to lay upon, even if naked! Nuthin better than sex on a plush lawn of Kentucky Blue! :wacko:

lol!! well you know we have to feed our livestock & yard birds around here! Kentucky blue....I'll take it for the back yard :tup: Come on over with that blessed sod!

Honestly.... posting this and reading the posts, has only made me feel more grateful, and yea, a little bit prouder about what I have managed to accomplish. I rememeber walking through neighborhoods 3 years ago, freezing my buns off in February, delivering door hangers on a wing and a prayer. All I had an old small pickup and a litle rinky dink trailer to start with. That, and desperation and determination.

Now I drive around in a new Ford F150 with a matching white enclosed trailer and look like the guys I used to envy in my first year. I often drive by the homes I've landscaped on days when I don't have to mow them, just to enjoy the work I have done.

I did one older man's house, gutted everything and and replanted the entire property. It was overgrown with maples trees and ivy. We ripped it ALL out, and went from bare dirt. Retaining wall and new plantings, sod, and the front of the house went from the worst to the best on the street. That led me to get the folks from across the street as customers. They like to tell me how Mr. Kelly comes out of his house across the street every morning and just look at everything. He was a lonely widower, and pretty isolated. Now, he talks to all the nieghbors about his plants and lawn. He and I have become friends. My work has improved his life, and knowing him has enriched mine.

As soon as the newly seeded backyard comes in, I will take an Hibachi and drag him out to his new yard for a BBQ. I get PAID for this. I get PAID for this! Paid for making someone's life more enjoyable?

Rovers, I'd love to see some pics of your work if you have any.

Rovers, I'd love to see some pics of your work if you have any.

I had some on my old comp, which died about 5 months ago. So, all the before picturtes are gone along with all my previous planting jobs, but I need to start a puicture album anyway. I have a new job to quote on, so I need new pics for that (I have a guy with landscaping software that can give me sort of photoshpped images of my design plan) so I think I'll take some digital pics and then some 35mm pics of my previous planting and design work the same day.

In highs school my sequence was a trade school thing, ornamental horticulture. Long time ago, but I still remember design basics from those classes. I just landed yet another small planting today, redoing an overgrown pond feature. Bad original design, the plants are overgrown and hide the pond. One of those fancy ponds, 6 foot deep with those Japanese fish in it. Should be a fun project.