[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

Oskar Blues Old Chub - Best Scotch Ale on the market without question. Malty goodness.

You know, I haven't tried this one since I better came to peace with Scotch Ales. I was never much of a fan of them before. I'll need to give it another visit.

You know, I haven't tried this one since I better came to peace with Scotch Ales. I was never much of a fan of them before. I'll need to give it another visit.

Indeed you should. Firestone Walker makes a fine wee heavy also. After I got over the whole can thing(now actually a fan), I love most all of the Oskar lineup. Also give G'Night, fomerly Gordan a try if you haven't yet.

Indeed you should. Firestone Walker makes a fine wee heavy also. After I got over the whole can thing(now actually a fan), I love most all of the Oskar lineup. Also give G'Night, fomerly Gordan a try if you haven't yet.

I tried Gordon when it was Gordon. Honestly, I don't see as much of these guys' stuff (which I've always liked, btw and think Dale's is great) since the local distributor sort of parked them over some political BS.

Great Divide Claymore is also a decent scotch ale. Milder than the Old Chub, not as sweet.

Tonight's Stone Brewery dinner menu: (yes, that's 3 beers side by side by side at two of those courses)

Stone Brewery

Wednesday, August 10th, 2011

Grilled endive and ricotta salata tamal

-Levitation Ale

Seared scallops with cilantro salsa verde and plantain frites

-Cali-Belgique Belgian-Style IPA

Crispy shrimp, cucumber, & radish salad w/ mango-habenero

-Ruination IPA

Pork, purslane, and jalapeno sausage with salsa arbol

-Arrogant Bastard, Oak-Aged Bastard, Lucky Bastard

Simple mole with smoked “chicharones” and roasted poblanos

-Sublimely Self Righteous Ale

Mexican Chocolate “Picadillo” Ice Cream

Luther Vandros goes to Dos Perros

-2010 Russian Imperial Stout, 2011 Russian Imperial Stout,

2011 Belgo Anise Stout

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Nice menu! :tup:

They will be SHAM WOW!faced after the pork . . two 7%+ beers at the same time?

Actually, three: Arrogant/Oak Aged Arrogant/Lucky Bastards.

However, none of the beers are full 12 oz pours. In fact, the lighter gravity beers are 6 oz and higher gravity beers are less than that. Also, when we pour more than one beer, the sum totals less than 6 oz as well.

Net result, by the end of the 2.5 hour dinner, you're certainly buzzed, but hardly wasted. Tonight is heavier consumption than most, but it's probably the equivalent of 3 full beers (plus whatever cocktail(s) they down before dinner starts).

Oh, and the smoked "chicharones" is a skin-on Niman Ranch belly that I cured and smoked at home on the egg :wacko:

Edited by detlef

Actually, three: Arrogant/Oak Aged Arrogant/Lucky Bastards.

However, none of the beers are full 12 oz pours. In fact, the lighter gravity beers are 6 oz and higher gravity beers are less than that. Also, when we pour more than one beer, the sum totals less than 6 oz as well.

Net result, by the end of the 2.5 hour dinner, you're certainly buzzed, but hardly wasted. Tonight is heavier consumption than most, but it's probably the equivalent of 3 full beers (plus whatever cocktail(s) they down before dinner starts).

Oh, and the smoked "chicharones" is a skin-on Niman Ranch belly that I cured and smoked at home on the egg :wacko:

Lucky is a 7%+ beer too? wowsers . . .:tup:

Round 2 tonight...

Jujube Restaurant

Stone Brewery Dinner

Thursday, August 11th, 2011

Cherokee purple tomato “steak” with honey black vinegar, fresh ricotta, and thai basil

-Pale Ale

Yuzu-cured California salmon with cucumber salad

-IPA

Cumin, coriander, zucchini, and shrimp fritter with sweet chili

-Cali-Belgique Belgian-Style IPA

Pork, bock choy, and ginger sausage with Chinese mustard

-Arrogant Bastard and Oak-Aged Bastard side by side

Braised pork belly with toasted rice cake and miso glaze

-Sublimely Self Righteous Ale

Chocolate-dipped caramelized pineapple

Fried sweet beef short rib dumplings

-2010 Russian Imperial Stout, 2011 Russian Imperial Stout, 2011 Belgo Anise Stout

Yesterday I picked up a couple 22's of Stone Russian Imperial Stout. I've yet to try this style of beer even though they rank near the top of any beer list I've seen. Looking forward to trying them.

Okay...just had my first couple of sips...I now know whay this style gets so much love. It is delicious. Exactly what a stout should be. at 10.5% abv I'll only have one tonight.

Okay...just had my first couple of sips...I now know whay this style gets so much love. It is delicious. Exactly what a stout should be. at 10.5% abv :unsure:I'll only have one tonight.

Wasn't quite ready for bed after the first one....oops. :wacko:

Left Coast Hop Juice - decent double IPA. Over the top hops, not balanced, imo.

Great Divide Belgian Yeti - Very nice combination of Imperial Stout and Belgian Yeast. Tastes like a heavier version of the true Belgian stouts. I am still a fan of the plain, old Yeti, but this is a nice addition to the set.

Left Coast Hop Juice - decent double IPA. Over the top hops, not balanced, imo.

Great Divide Belgian Yeti - Very nice combination of Imperial Stout and Belgian Yeast. Tastes like a heavier version of the true Belgian stouts. I am still a fan of the plain, old Yeti, but this is a nice addition to the set.

Still may favorite among all the various versions.

We had the Weyerbacher Tiny which is a Belgian Imperial Stout. Very heavy but very good.

Not as good as the 2010 Founders KBS which I've been saving and had last night as well.

Sierra - Dogfish. Life & Limb collaboration ale. Absolutely positively amazing. One of the best beers I have ever had. Delicious malt, hop, sweetness from maple syrup. :drool:

Amazing beer. Absolutely amazing.

Got this in the fridge. Never got to it or the Blushing Monk Saturday night.

Got this in the fridge. Never got to it or the Blushing Monk Saturday night.

If that Blushing Monk is a 750, you're going to want to have at least another person around to share it. That's a lot of sweet, tart, and fruity beer. I shared a 750 with one other person and wouldn't have minded less of it, though I did like it.