[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

Picked up a 4 pack of the Founders Backwoods B.astard - Scotch Ale aged in whiskey barrels. $15

The last Southern Tier Pumking at the store

The Abita 25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog - vanilla beans added to their Turbodog Brown Ale

And one I can't remember right now from Dupont - I'll post when I get home.

Posca Rustica - Belgian Ale with spices. Very tasty. If you see a bottle, pick it up.

Great lakes Christmas ale is back!! :wacko:

Not as good this year. I buy the Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas. I find it better and a buck less. You might not get their stuff by you. I bought The Brew Kettle's Winter Warmer yesterday for 10.99/six. 8.0 abv. Christmas Crack is at 7.5 and Thirsty Dog's at 8.3

Outstanding. Their White Rajah routinely wins local competitions for best IPA. I can never find a six. As soon as it hits the shelves, it's gone.

If I find some, I will pm you and send you a sixer.

PM me anyways and I'll send you a bottle of the 12 dogs....

OK, this is confusing but the brew kettle is what I'm talking about for the IPA.

Thirsty dog for the christmas ale.

TBK winter warmer is very hard to find even here.

Edited by loaf

So After these reviews I went to the stora and picked up a 6 pack each of the Sierra Nevada Southern Henisphere and the Northern Hemisphere. They are both very good, but I by far prefer the sublety of the Southern Hemisphere more than the Northern right now. Great, great beer that I probably wouldnt have tried without the reviews here first. :wacko:

Loaf, if there isnt any southern hemisphere around your enck o the woods, PM me and I will send ya a bottle. I am actually going back to pick up 12 more tonight (and there are bigger format bottles too :tup:)

Also picked up

6 Great Lakes Christamas Ale

6 Left Hand Fade to Black vol. 3

6 Strongbow

12 Bass

750 Dogfishhead "My Antonia"

This year's Left Hand Brewing Company's Fade To Black is a chili porter...

Described as “subtle heat, mixed with light fruit from the peppers” This years edition will clock in at 8.5% abv.

If you remember, last year's was a Smoked Baltic Porter...

kinda cool they change the recipe while keeping the same name...or if you didn't know and thought you were getting the Smoked, you might be in for a surprise...

:wacko:

I love this stuff!

Great Lakes Blackout Stout (named after the blackout of 2003 according to the label) is a mighty fine beer. 9% ABV though so it's a good one to end the night with. Love this brewery.

Although I slept on the Christmas Ale this year and missed out :wacko:

Great Lakes Blackout Stout (named after the blackout of 2003 according to the label) is a mighty fine beer. 9% ABV though so it's a good one to end the night with. Love this brewery.

Although I slept on the Christmas Ale this year and missed out :wacko:

There's plenty down here still. Make the drive. And while yer here, pick up a six of the 12 Dogs of Christmas...

And the Blackout Stout is awesome!

Very nice. Some of your pricepoints are incredibly good, some, well heck, if they sell then what the hell do I know?. My only suggestion is to get some Russian River "tions" to really round things out. Nice varied selections for sure.

Very nice. Some of your pricepoints are incredibly good, some, well heck, if they sell then what the hell do I know?. My only suggestion is to get some Russian River "tions" to really round things out. Nice varied selections for sure.

RR is not in my state and there's nothing on that list that I take as big a markup as I (or basically anyone) takes on our more every day beers. Keep in mind that NC taxes the hell out of things before they get to me. I've seen places in other states retail stuff cheaper than I get it.

Edited by detlef

RR is not in my state and there's nothing on that list that I take as big a markup as I (or basically anyone) takes on our more every day beers. Keep in mind that NC taxes the hell out of things before they get to me. I've seen places in other states retail stuff cheaper than I get it.

Oh no doubt, and I thought about the tax and liquor laws right after I wrote that. Don't get me wrong, in a lot of cases I think you might be undercharging. Too bad you can't get RR. They are really a fine brewery and their sours and wilds are renowned.

Oh no doubt, and I thought about the tax and liquor laws right after I wrote that. Don't get me wrong, in a lot of cases I think you might be undercharging. Too bad you can't get RR. They are really a fine brewery and their sours and wilds are renowned.

I've had Pliny a few times and few of the wilds. They are certainly world class.

The irony is that, assuming you're referring to the beers I think you are when you say I'm too low, they don't sell for chight even at that price. That whole extended list is a freaking white whale. It makes almost no fiscal sense for me to even have it.

I've had Pliny a few times and few of the wilds. They are certainly world class.

The irony is that, assuming you're referring to the beers I think you are when you say I'm too low, they don't sell for chight even at that price. That whole extended list is a freaking white whale. It makes almost no fiscal sense for me to even have it.

If you ever want to art with some let me know. I will pay for shipping.

If you ever want to art with some let me know. I will pay for shipping.

It's funny because I get offered a lot of things that I can't use. Large format stuff, mostly. I can sell anything in 12 oz but the big bottles don't move. I think those are more of a retail thing. I'm at a crossroads of either starting to turn down allocations of some of those things or create a small retail market on the side. Not a shop, mind you, just a small list of guys who I can invite to buy through me.

That might include shipping things around, though as Hugh and I were discussing, it might not make sense for many price-wise.

Edited by detlef

It's funny because I get offered a lot of things that I can't use. Large format stuff, mostly. I can sell anything in 12 oz but the big bottles don't move. I think those are more of a retail thing. I'm at a crossroads of either starting to turn down allocations of some of those things or create a small retail market on the side. Not a shop, mind you, just a small list of guys who I can invite to buy through me.

That might include shipping things around, though as Hugh and I were discussing, it might not make sense for many price-wise.

There are things I simply cannot get as an individual consumer. For instance, the Stone Vertical Epics. I have gotten them from friends across the US who are in positions like you. Just beer for thought.

I do the same thing for rare allocated wines. I take my allocation for work, purchase it myself and offer it to friends at cost.

I have built up quite a Turley allocation (at least for private clubs) over the last few years. :wacko:

I would also be interested, because a lot of these beers just arent available regionally, unlike a lot of higher end wine.

We all need to do some trading for sure. Though I can get my hands on many a Eastern brew through other beer geeks, some want to hold you hostage so to speak. i.e. I would give a lot to get my hands on a couple sixers or bottles even of Nugget Nectar when it comes around. I will work on the Pliney for you guys, but the stuff is legendary(mostly for good reason) and goes fast when out or goes into hostage mode, even on the west coast. Now some others I do have an inside position for are Redhook, Hales(both former employers) and Rogue. I get some stuff from these guys that just don't get marketed at all but are excellant.

Besides I would much rather trade with my Huddle brethren than BA's, any day of the week and Sundays :wacko:

Det, kudos for showcasing the craft, even at a lateral or minus profit margin. This will pay off in spades, as this micro surge isn't going to slow down anytime soon and you will have dedicated customers for life. Your thinking is the exact opposite of lets say HOD for example, whom has some fine beers for sure, but are so full of themselves that they think you should pay dearly just for the right to drink their stuff. Something the Brewmaster and I have almost come to blows over. That is until he met me in person :tup:

We all need to do some trading for sure. Though I can get my hands on many a Eastern brew through other beer geeks, some want to hold you hostage so to speak. i.e. I would give a lot to get my hands on a couple sixers or bottles even of Nugget Nectar when it comes around. I will work on the Pliney for you guys, but the stuff is legendary(mostly for good reason) and goes fast when out or goes into hostage mode, even on the west coast. Now some others I do have an inside position for are Redhook, Hales(both former employers) and Rogue. I get some stuff from these guys that just don't get marketed at all but are excellant.

Besides I would much rather trade with my Huddle brethren than BA's, any day of the week and Sundays :wacko:

Det, kudos for showcasing the craft, even at a lateral or minus profit margin. This will pay off in spades, as this micro surge isn't going to slow down anytime soon and you will have dedicated customers for life. Your thinking is the exact opposite of lets say HOD for example, whom has some fine beers for sure, but are so full of themselves that they think you should pay dearly just for the right to drink their stuff. Something the Brewmaster and I have almost come to blows over. That is until he met me in person :tup:

HOD?

ETA: Just figured it out. Hair of the the Dog? Yep, pretty pricey indeed. And, honestly, not significantly better than other Belgian-inspired breweries in the US or Canada.

Edited by detlef