[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

Haven't done anything too wild lately. Bought some 21st Amendment Hop Crisis in a 4 pack of cans. 9.7 % Imperial IPA. I also bought a 22 oz of Hoppin Frog's Turbo Shandy. I tend to stay away from Hoppin Frog as I think they're overpriced but they make some great beers. Ratebeer has them ranked at #17.

We also got in a case of their Rumble Oak-aged IPA that I'll just be featuring pre-dinner.

My local beer store just got a case or 2 of this that they left in the back just for the beer geeks. I'm not sure I've ever had an oak-aged IPA before (at least not bottled), but this one was VERY good, and "gently aged" in the oak to where it wasn't overly sweet. Just a nice touch of that oak/vanilla-ish character to balance out the hops. Highly recommend it it you can find it, as one of the more affordable oak-aged beers at $12/6-pack.

Speaking of funky IPAs. I got in a case of, and tried the Terrapin Smoked DIPA. We brought it in for an upcoming dinner and I did not really have high hopes, but it was pretty damned tasty.

Ah, the Georgia Theatre benefit beers... Not only for a good cause to rebuild the burnt-down Athens landmark, but this one was probably my favorite of the 4... I normally am not much for smoked beers, especially the ones that have a heavy liquid-smoke sort of taste, but this one just has that gentle kind of campfire taste on the back-end (the best way I could describe it). They use an outstanding rye malt for the base of most of their beers, so it's pretty hard to find a bad hopped beer from them. The Terrapin Rye Pale Ale is definitely my session beer that I can drink all year long, and always do...

My local beer store just got a case or 2 of this that they left in the back just for the beer geeks. I'm not sure I've ever had an oak-aged IPA before (at least not bottled), but this one was VERY good, and "gently aged" in the oak to where it wasn't overly sweet. Just a nice touch of that oak/vanilla-ish character to balance out the hops. Highly recommend it it you can find it, as one of the more affordable oak-aged beers at $12/6-pack.

Ah, the Georgia Theatre benefit beers... Not only for a good cause to rebuild the burnt-down Athens landmark, but this one was probably my favorite of the 4... I normally am not much for smoked beers, especially the ones that have a heavy liquid-smoke sort of taste, but this one just has that gentle kind of campfire taste on the back-end (the best way I could describe it). They use an outstanding rye malt for the base of most of their beers, so it's pretty hard to find a bad hopped beer from them. The Terrapin Rye Pale Ale is definitely my session beer that I can drink all year long, and always do...

Nice descriptions and, yes, I was pleased with the price of the Rumble.

Deschutes Hop in the Dark on fire-sale, $1.50 a bottle (20oz) :wacko:

Also picked up two bottles of Avery 18th Anniversary, Rye Saison, sounds interesting.

Dogfish Head Sqaull - awesome stuff, hoppy goodness and so much mellower than regular 90 minute

Tasting through Stone samples for a "cage match". August 10th and my Mexican place, August 11th at my Asian fusion place. Got some pretty cool beers lined up.

We won't be using all of the below and I want to use a few beers for both but also make sure there are some different ones for each. I know of some who are coming to both dinners and I want to provide them 1) with a chance to see the same beer paired two ways, but also not just taste all the same beers both nights. Further, for all I know, there will be a beer that inspires a pairing from one genre but not so much the other. So I want to keep my options open. There's one beer (which I won't get to taste until closer to the event because it's not in the state yet) a Green Tea IPA that I've obviously ear-marked for the Asian dinner.

Here are the contestants:

Levitation

Pale Ale

IPA

Ruination

Oak-Aged Arrogant Bastard

Double Bastard

Cali-Belgique

Smoked Porter

Russian Imperial Stout

Belgo Anise (RIS with Belgian yeast and Anise)

I've basically already decided to do the RIS, Belgo Anise and last year's RIS (I held some back) side by side by side at one course for both places).

I had the belgo anise IRS on draft Saturday. Didn't mention the anise in the menu. I tasted it right away, asked the bartender and she was, "yeah, it's the anise but I don't think it's overpowering."

Unless you love black licorice, it's overpowering. And sweet. But I liked it.

Newest on tap is Cigar City Jai Alai - have not tapped one yet, still waiting on the Sly Fox 113 IPA to kick ... maybe later this week.

Also picked up a pack of Rogue Dead Guy ale last week ... tasty stuff.

How the hell do you all get Cigar City up there and it's not even in NC? Bastages.

How the hell do you all get Cigar City up there and it's not even in NC? Bastages.

I was surprised too - I justed missed out a few weeks ago getting a case of bottles - they also had their Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale in bottles.

They girl at the counter asked me if I had it reserved, but the other guy said that one was still in the back and I could take this one :wacko::lol::tup:

Got a bottle of Founders Blushing Monk that I'm gonna crack at my summer soiree in August...

My rep offered me an allocated case and I passed. Not because I wasn't interested, because I absolutely am, and will likely buy a bottle somewhere. But rather that I know damned well that it will take a year at least for me to move 12 bottles of large format raspberry beer.

Too bad, really, because I have no doubt that it's freaking delicious.

Not a hugh wheat beer fan at all, yet Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin is one of the best representations I've ever had. Can't stop buying it. Refreshing and light, yet with enough body and ummphh to truely become a favorite. Try some, even if you don't like wheats.

Just updated the extended list...

Attn to all of you in Michigan, if you're not digging the Jolly Pumpkin, well I don't know what's wrong with you. Just tried the Firefly and can now add that to the list of amazing wild ales that they produce.

Sure, maybe a true sour ale is not exactly your thing, so you might not dig La Roja, but the Oro de Calabaza and the aformentioned Firefly are such pretty, pretty beers.

Going to the Wheaton Ale Fest on Saturday August 6th . . here is the list of the brewers that will be there

Abita Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company

Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Avery Brewing Company

Bear Republic Brewing Co

Blue Moon Brewing Company

Boulder Brewing Company

Boston Brewing Company

Chicago Beer Company

Crispin Cider Company

Dark Horse Brewing Company

Finch's Beer Company

Firestone Walker Brewing Company

Great Divide Brewing Company

Harpoon Brewery

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jolly Pumpkin Ales

Lagunitas Brewing Co.

Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Left Hand Brewing Company

Limestone Brewing Company

Lost Coast Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company

Mendocino Brewing Company

Metropolitan Brewing Company

Moylan's Brewing Company

New Belgium Brewing

New Holland

North Coast

Sierra Nevada Brewing

Ska Brewing Company

Southern Tier Brewing Company

Stone Brewing Co.

Two Brothers Brewing Company

Tyranena Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company

Woodchuck Cider

Emmets Brewering Company

Magners Irish Cide

Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Summit Brewing Company

Urban Knaves of Grain

picked up a six of the Anderson Valley Brewing Company Summer Solstice.

While it's labeled a Summer beer, it's heavier than I'd expect. Dark caramel with hints of yeasty items like bread that is taken over by some vanilla n hops. Much heavier than a shandy and heavier than I would have believed a summer beer to be. I'd drink it again but in the fall.

• 2 weeks later...

My God Lagunitas makes wonderful beers. Picked up six 22 ouncers of their Lucky 13 Anniversary Alt. Malty, nutty, fruit esthers and hoppy all in one. Layers here, deep layers as the temp warms a bit. Oh and did I say STRONG! Not in a overwhelming way, but like in most Lagunitas big brews; sneaky. Love this stuff! Get yourself some while you can. Great from first to last sip.

My God Lagunitas makes wonderful beers. Picked up six 22 ouncers of their Lucky 13 Anniversary Alt. Malty, nutty, fruit esthers and hoppy all in one. Layers here, deep layers as the temp warms a bit. Oh and did I say STRONG! Not in a overwhelming way, but like in most Lagunitas big brews; sneaky. Love this stuff! Get yourself some while you can. Great from first to last sip.

Got a few Laguintus Maximus in the fridge waiting for 5pm. Love it.

Gotta agree here. And it's not even in my wheel house profile-wise. But this was just too tasty not to like.

Had the Lagunitas Little Sumpin' wild over the weekend. Excellent beer that is higher ABV than Little Sumpin' Sumpin. A good value at $9.99 per six pack.

Yesterday I picked up a couple 22's of Stone Russian Imperial Stout. I've yet to try this style of beer even though they rank near the top of any beer list I've seen. Looking forward to trying them.

• Like 1