[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

Just got back from a week in Salt Lake. If you have not tried them, the beers from Epic Brewing Exponential Series are truly outstanding. Each is a fantastic representation of the style. Their fall beer, Fest Devious, this year is a Scotch Ale. I'd put it right up there with Old Chub. The Smoked and Oaked Belgian Strong Ale has got to be my favorite. Complex and yummy all at once.

I've had a few IPAs from them and they've both been great.

Had a Oskars weekend. Friday night picked up two mixed sixers. Three each of Old Chub, Dales Pale, Mama's Lil Yellow Pils and G'Knight(formerly Gordons). All top of the line representations of their style, though these brews do cross over to a different style all at the same time. Especially Dales and G'Knight. For me, I absolutely love the Old Chub, as I'm forever on the lookout for a wee-heavy style Scotch Ale. Would not have minded a couple TenFidy's, but really wasn't in the mood for motor oil this weekend :wacko:

All in all, the best $18 I have spent on beer in quite awhile.

• 4 weeks later...
New Holland's been on a tear lately. Their Ichabod was my favorite new pumpkin ale this year, and their winter brew, Cabin Fever, is right in my wheelhouse.

Peace

policy

Did you have Michigan Brewing's Screamin' Pumpkin? Better than Ichabod IMO.

Stone Double Bastard - holy big beer Batman!! malty, hoppy, punch you in the face.

Rogue Double Chocolate Stout - Deliciousness in every way.

Left Hand Fade to Black Vol.3 - Pepper Porter, interesting. Very malty upfront with some heat aftertaste. Odd but good. Glad I tried it.

Cave Creek Chili Beer - Wow. A Serrano pepper in each bottle brings the heat. A stupid hot beer that shocks you with each sip.

Stone Double Bastard - holy big beer Batman!! malty, hoppy, punch you in the face.

Rogue Double Chocolate Stout - Deliciousness in every way.

Left Hand Fade to Black Vol.3 - Pepper Porter, interesting. Very malty upfront with some heat aftertaste. Odd but good. Glad I tried it.

Cave Creek Chili Beer - Wow. A Serrano pepper in each bottle brings the heat. A stupid hot beer that shocks you with each sip.

That stuff is absolutely terrible. I bought some for a friend as a joke and tried one. Horrible horrible stuff.

That stuff is absolutely terrible. I bought some for a friend as a joke and tried one. Horrible horrible stuff.

It was given to me for my birthday, as a joke, and I've suckered friends into drinking it. I may think it would be really good to cook with. Throw it in a chili :wacko:

It was given to me for my birthday, as a joke, and I've suckered friends into drinking it. I may think it would be really good to cook with. Throw it in a chili :wacko:

That I agree with! After browning I simmer the beef in beer for about 45 minutes when making chili . . . that would be perfect.

Or when I soak brats in beer overnight . . .

I really liked this one though I couldn't drink a six straight through. My review's above...

Cleared the shelves of the Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest. Effin awesome this year. New Zealand hops and lots of them in a surprisingly smooth brew with a ton of character. Not much bite for so much hops(which I love). More so because they use the whole cone and no extract(which I H8). Sneaky strong, but very drinkable. GET SOME BEFORE IT'S GONE!!

Cleared the shelves of the Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest. Effin awesome this year. New Zealand hops and lots of them in a surprisingly smooth brew with a ton of character. Not much bite for so much hops(which I love). More so because they use the whole cone and no extract(which I H8). Sneaky strong, but very drinkable. GET SOME BEFORE IT'S GONE!!

Dude, they're already onto the Northern Hemisphere. I dig the concept, but think those beers are best drunk super, super fresh. The Southern Hemisphere was released in late spring using hops that had been harvested in the fall down there. Now we're onto the local stuff.

On that note, I've currently got Great Divides Fresh Hop (on draught), which I think is effing awesome and New Holland's Hopivore (in bottles) which I'm less fired up about. Right behind it is the Founders version (I forget what they call theirs). Word on the streets is that Terrapin's So Fresh and So Green, Green wasn't as good this year as usual.

In other news, just got my case of Backwoods Bastard from Founders. That's a ripe and slutty beer to be sure. Delicious and the bourbon barrels really show through.

Dude, they're already onto the Northern Hemisphere. I dig the concept, but think those beers are best drunk super, super fresh. The Southern Hemisphere was released in late spring using hops that had been harvested in the fall down there. Now we're onto the local stuff.

On that note, I've currently got Great Divides Fresh Hop (on draught), which I think is effing awesome and New Holland's Hopivore (in bottles) which I'm less fired up about. Right behind it is the Founders version (I forget what they call theirs). Word on the streets is that Terrapin's So Fresh and So Green, Green wasn't as good this year as usual.

In other news, just got my case of Backwoods Bastard from Founders. That's a ripe and slutty beer to be sure. Delicious and the bourbon barrels really show through.

At class the other night, our instructor gave us the exact opposite info. These fresh hopped beers should be cellared a couple months for optimum tatse and feel. Yes I know, our spring was NZ's Autumn :wacko:

We blind tasted many fresh hopped beers, fresh hopped meaning they do not need to be drank fresh as you say, but rather their hop profile is made with a lot of beautiful fresh, just picked cones. GD didn't fare half as well as the SN. But hey, half of the class are cicerones the other half very close, with the instructor being a master. Yet, we obviously know less than you. "Northern would serve better in a couple months from distrubution, as would most any good fresh hopped brews." straight from his mouth. The Brewmaster from Iron Horse, our guest this night, couldn't agree more.

So DUDE, acting like a Beer Advocate Anal Brain, because you read a lot about beers, as well as listening to distributors without ever having any hands on experience of any kind, sans holding the product, is well, pompous.

Hence reason one, SN released this again at this time. Get the SN, while it is even BETTER!

Picked up a Northern Hemisphere (no Southerns around) and a bottle of the Epic Big Bad Baptist - barrel aged imperial stout with cocoa and coffee. 11.7%. It was one of my faves from BrewZilla

At class the other night, our instructor gave us the exact opposite info. These fresh hopped beers should be cellared a couple months for optimum tatse and feel. Yes I know, our spring was NZ's Autumn :wacko:

We blind tasted many fresh hopped beers, fresh hopped meaning they do not need to be drank fresh as you say, but rather their hop profile is made with a lot of beautiful fresh, just picked cones. GD didn't fare half as well as the SN. But hey, half of the class are cicerones the other half very close, with the instructor being a master. Yet, we obviously know less than you. "Northern would serve better in a couple months from distrubution, as would most any good fresh hopped brews." straight from his mouth. The Brewmaster from Iron Horse, our guest this night, couldn't agree more.

So DUDE, acting like a Beer Advocate Anal Brain, because you read a lot about beers, as well as listening to distributors without ever having any hands on experience of any kind, sans holding the product, is well, pompous.

Hence reason one, SN released this again at this time. Get the SN, while it is even BETTER!

There are a few people here who should give nobody any crap about swinging their dick around and acting pompous. I admit that I'm likely one of them. You happen to be on that list as well. So, what say we just stop calling pots black. I get it, you've worked in restaurants and you've worked in beer. Great.

Sounds like we're going to have to agree to disagree here as I've also had it from rather high authority that these beers are best drunk very fresh. And no, not from the guy trying to sell them to me. Further, this theory makes sense to me given the fact that I've personally found that the brightest and most beautiful aromatics tend to fade in beers like that over time. Since I do make a point of stashing at least a few bottles of most beer styles to see what happens, sounds like that would be worth doing. Perhaps I'll see what you're seeing then.

There are a few people here who should give nobody any crap about swinging their dick around and acting pompous. I admit that I'm likely one of them. You happen to be on that list as well. So, what say we just stop calling pots black. I get it, you've worked in restaurants and you've worked in beer. Great.

Sounds like we're going to have to agree to disagree here as I've also had it from rather high authority that these beers are best drunk very fresh. And no, not from the guy trying to sell them to me. Further, this theory makes sense to me given the fact that I've personally found that the brightest and most beautiful aromatics tend to fade in beers like that over time. Since I do make a point of stashing at least a few bottles of most beer styles to see what happens, sounds like that would be worth doing. Perhaps I'll see what you're seeing then.

All good, give them a try. Yes they do lose the initial bite, which I don't like anyway. They sort of turn into a IPA of a eccentric type. Smooth, strong and thick for a beer of that style.

All good, give them a try. Yes they do lose the initial bite, which I don't like anyway. They sort of turn into a IPA of a eccentric type. Smooth, strong and thick for a beer of that style.

Odd, because what I like about them is the abundant aromatics without the bite. As if they've managed to get all the things I love about IPAs, the citrus, and pine and all that, without the enamel-stripping bitterness.

Perhaps I've grown immune to the bitterness (which I hope is not the case).

Picked up a 4 pack of the Founders Backwoods B.astard - Scotch Ale aged in whiskey barrels. $15

The last Southern Tier Pumking at the store

The Abita 25th Anniversary Vanilla Doubledog - vanilla beans added to their Turbodog Brown Ale

And one I can't remember right now from Dupont - I'll post when I get home.