[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pierre Thomas

rajncajn

Possibly finalizing today...

http://www.fox8live.com/content/frontpages...1Isozks52A.cspx

The Saints could have a long-term offer to running back Pierre Thomas as early as tomorrow, a source told FOX 8 Sports.

The team tendered Thomas at a second round level after the season, a one-year deal that would have been worth $1.68 million.

Thomas has not signed that tender in hopes of reaching a long-term agreement with the team.

The Saints had originally tendered guard Jahri Evans at the end of the season but then gave the former 4th round pick the richest contract in NFL history for an interior lineman.

Originally coming to the Saints an undrafted free agent out of Illinois, Thomas has averaged over 5.1 yards a carry and scored 22 touchdowns during his three seasons in New Orleans.

Edited by rajncajn

he'll get plenty of more opportunities this season with bell gone and Bush being ...almost durable enough, but not....

..not that Thomas is Mr. Invincible himself....because he'll probably get hurt after all this news because he'll spend the rest of the offseason planning on what he'll do with his money...and less time working out and preparing...

he'll get plenty of more opportunities this season with bell gone and Bush being ...almost durable enough, but not....

..not that Thomas is Mr. Invincible himself....because he'll probably get hurt after all this news because he'll spend the rest of the offseason planning on what he'll do with his money...and less time working out and preparing...

Not likely, everyone showed up for voluntary workouts. :wacko:

I've been a fan of Thomas and laughed at my attempts to get him the last couple of years. I, however, screwed the pooch in one league and didn't assign a long enough contract on him and he gets placed back in the draft in one of my keeper leagues :wacko:

I've been a fan of Thomas and laughed at my attempts to get him the last couple of years. I, however, screwed the pooch in one league and didn't assign a long enough contract on him and he gets placed back in the draft in one of my keeper leagues :wacko:

he's one of those RB's you would assume others had ranked higher and then i find out why he was ranked so low....I just only saw Bell as a backup rather than a situational back..

when Bell emerged as a likely GL back and the one they go with for the tough yds...I was shocked because i thought Thomas had all the tools to do that - he's a cross between what bell and Bush offers...he catches and runs..

Thomas should start and Bush should be a wildcard type player...

False alarm, Loomis and Pierre's agent said there is no deal on the table and they have no idea where that report came from. :wacko: Although both said they hope to get one done as of now there is no offer.

False alarm, Loomis and Pierre's agent said there is no deal on the table and they have no idea where that report came from. :wacko: Although both said they hope to get one done as of now there is no offer.

I don't think any NFL team is looking to spend a lot of money right now with the lock out/strike looking very likely. I'd be suprised to see a lot of big deals before the season.

• 3 weeks later...
Report: Pierre Thomas and the Saints are far apart

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 28, 2010 1:28 PM ET

The New Orleans Saints want to get restricted free agent running back Pierre Thomas locked up before training camp. And Thomas, who hasn't signed his one-year tender offer, wants to do a long-term deal. But that doesn't mean the sides are close enough to be confident a deal will get done.

Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com reports that Thomas wants money in the Steven Jackson range, and that might be higher than the Saints are willing to go.

Jackson has a five-year, $48.5 million contract with the Rams, but Jackson was the unquestioned focal point of the Rams' offense and had already had three 1,000-yard seasons when he signed that deal. Thomas is a good player, but he's not even a regular starter, and his career high is 793 rushing yards.

It's hard to see how Thomas could expect to get the kind of money Jackson got -- especially considering how much money the Saints already have tied up in their other running back, Reggie Bush.

And so, if Thomas is really holding out for as much money as Jackson, he's probably going to be holding out for quite a while.

I'm a big PT fan but I can't see them giving him that kind of money.

PT is no SJax. Its a joke that he's looking for SJax money. I'd like to see PT put up SJax numbers with one of the worst olines in the league and eight in the box on every play

Exactly

I don't see PT on my team this year anyway.

Unfortunately, this happens after a superbowl victory. Players think because they won, they now have a special talent. I love PT's potential, but he is surely no SJax. Heck, he should be respectful for what he's making now, considering what CJ is making and is probably the best back in the game.

This is all BS, but believe what you want.

A contract is in the works. It could be a couple of days or a few weeks, but it will be before training camp opens.

And remember when you draft, Pierre is over rated, his head is to big and you don't want him on your team. :wacko:

Well all the reports we been getting about a contract seem to be false. His agent spoke for the first time and said the initial offer of $11 mil/4yrs is the only offer on the table, they sent a counter months ago and have not heard back and there are no talks going on. Pierre wants a Turner type contract $34/6yrs. Meanwhile they will pay Bush $8 mil this year. His agent said they have a plan, which I think is they take the $1.15 tender and on to FA next year. The Saint's reasoning is that Pierre is a role player not a full time back. mmm This could be a huge mistake. Mr. Hamilton c'mon down.

The Saints are trying to sign him for backup money, while Bush will make 8mil this yr. He's more valuable to them than the money paid to the older Chester Taylor, IMO. I hope he does get a deal done with the Saints that's more in-line with his value as rb1 to the team.

The problem there is that Bush is an overpaid 'bust'. It has nothing to do with Thomas being an above average talent.

Any success that PT has seen has been afforded to him by the insaine nature of another team. How did the guy even get banged up last year? How did he even get hit? He's got to be pretty far down on the list of things that opposing D's look out for and is afforded some nice cleanup time after the Saints go 2-3 TDs up on a team.

PT is the French Mike Bell.

Edited by Duchess Jack

The problem there is that Bush is an overpaid 'bust'. It has nothing to do with Thomas being an above average talent.

Any success that PT has seen has been afforded to him by the insaine nature of another team. How did the guy even get banged up last year? How did he even get hit? He's got to be pretty far down on the list of things that opposing D's look out for and is afforded some nice cleanup time after the Saints go 2-3 TDs up on a team.

PT is the French Mike Bell.

Good post other than the first & last lines. Overpaid, maybe, but Bush is far from a bust. Take a look at this post that was made on the Saints board with a few hidden stats.

Is Reggie Bush worth 8 Million Dollars a year ? Logic tells me , ask Sean Payton he says "Yes" in a heart beat.

Reggie Bush has played in 35 games as a New Orleans Saint. He averages 4.0 yards per game rushing with 17 TD's. He averages 7.4 yards per reception and has 260 catches in his career. That translates to almost 8 catches per game. Throw in another 4 TD's returning punts.

BUT whats even more impressive about Bush is this. He is a MONEY player. In the Saints Post Season Playoff run and Super Bowl win Bush was gold.In the playoff's he average 6.9 yards per game rushing and 9.5 yards per reception.

Bush averages 6.4 yards per rush when playing on artificial surfaces. Since more than half of your games will be on synthetic, thats a boost.

But here is the real STATS that you don't see. The Saints amassed 6500 yards of offense in the regular season last year. The average yards per play on offense was 6.1 yards per play. The Saints averaged 14.6 yards per play when Bush was ON the field as compared to 4.9 yards per play when he was on the sideline. What that tells you is Bush is as effective as a logistical nightmare to defenses by JUST being there. Second, and I found this absolutley amazing, when Bush was lined up in the slot, the Wide Out or TE on that side of the field had a 86 percent completion rate. That means that when he runs a clear out, he commands coverage, opening up other receivers.

When Bush lines up as a RB, the Saints average yards per reception is 8.8. When Bush lines up as a WR or slot receiver, that number jumps to 19.7. Stats do not lie. The Saints are a significantly better offense when he is on the field with or without the ball.

Lastly, I think you saw late last year, Reggie finally understand what it takes to run the ball efffectively. Late last season saw Reggie running over and into defenders rather then avoid them. When he saw impact coming, he accelerated and lowered his shoulder. If Bush stays healthy this year, I think you could finally see his break out year. Whether or not you think he is worth 8 million is subjective. Whether the Saints are MUCH better on offense when he is on the field is NOT.

Sean Payton's use of Reggie Bush in hs offense, gives DC's nightmares. You have to prepare for Reggie, whether you like it or not. He is the type of athlete that can score anytime he touches the ball. I have heard alot of people say that since Reggie Bush left USC he has been a disappointment, not lived up to expectations. Adrian Peterson is considerd by alot of experts the best RB in the league. WELL, Bush has something Peterson does not. A Superbowl ring.

...and PT is a MUCH better and more versatile back than Bell which is why the Saints let him walk with the expectation of replacing his role in the offense with Lynell Hamilton.

Agree - Reggie is not a bust per say - but he has not lived up to the hype of his draft slot or paycheck.

and while PT might be a bit better than Bell, I kind of see a situation where its plug and play and most any back can be successful in that backfield.

Agree - Reggie is not a bust per say - but he has not lived up to the hype of his draft slot or paycheck.

and while PT might be a bit better than Bell, I kind of see a situation where its plug and play and most any back can be successful in that backfield.

+1

Reggie Bush had nearly as much hype as the Tewbow draft this year, other than they put a large emphasis on Bush as a number 1 back in the NFL. Bush has had some nice highlights since he entered the NFL, however his consistency of performance has been less than stellar. When you carry the moniker of being a shoe string back, usually doesn't represent yourself as a high end FF keeper.