[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FF Auction Poll

DMD

FF Auctions  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is your experience with Auctions?

• Never did it, probably never will
    • Never did it, kind of interested
    • Did it but no longer do and did not like it
    • Did it but no longer do and miss it
    • Have and continue to do auctions
    • Having my first auction this year

Voted "have and continue to auction."

I regularly participate in a live auction (redraft) league. Far and away, the most exciting part of my FF season.

I also participate in and commish a couple auction leagues; the aforementioned NGNG league, a salary cap/dynasty league and an IDP auction redraft.

I enjoy the freedom that the auction affords you. Any player you want is available to you if you are willing to commit the cash. You are never pigeon-holed into the taking the "correct" pick as per your draft slot.

Unfortunately, auctions do have their drawbacks. I use MFL for my online auction leagues and support during the auction is weak at best. The commish cannot do many of the things he is required to do during the auction. For example, the commissioner cannot change or cancel any bids. The only recourse is to delete and restart auctions.

I have never done a fast auction (<2 minutes per player) on MFL. Never used fantasy auctioneer before it cratered either. Mocked a couple times using ESPN's software. Seems pretty decent to me but never used it in a real league before. Online fast auctions would be pretty dicey I think. What if you lost connection, had computer problems etc.?

This was my first online auction. I thought it was very exciting and a lot of fun, but I totally agree with Sturphy that there were WAY too many guys open for bid at the same time. Overall though, I really enjoyed it.

Online live (and real live for that matter) are far superior to the multiple players active at one time slow message board auctions.

In CORE, once fantasy auctioneer went under, we have succesfully used chat rooms and a conference call to run our auctions. Even with fantasy auctioneer, we used the conference call. Always more fun to mock a person for real.

Never used fantasy auctioneer before it cratered either.
What was great about FA.com was you could set a private mock up vs just joining whatever ones happened to be going on at the time. Eliminated the fishing and other assorted kiddie BS.

We did a live 11 team auction last year. It took around 4 hours. When we first started, it was a 10 team league and it took us around 6 hours. We got one of the live auction draft kits, they have a draft board to put the fantasy teams names on and spots for the players. It also has stickers for the players' names. The good kits are color coded by position and have the bye weeks on the players' sticker. This cuts down a lot on people double checking the bye weeks and speeds up the draft. We draft one player at a time and have the commissioner run the league and the treasurer keep track of the money that has been bid. It starts out kind of slow when everyone has a lot of money, but as the teams blow the fantasy dollars, it speeds up a lot.

Can anyone give me an idea of amount of time it takes to complete an auction draft?

I'm sure it differs on rules, etc. but just trying to get a ballpark idea.

Also, I'm curious how the order of the players is determined?

Depends on whether it's online or live, and how many team owners you have...but it's roughly equivalent to doing a serpentine draft online or live. Once your roster is filled you are out of the draft, so it starts moving a lot faster near the end.

And with our live auction drafts, every team owner draws a number out of a hat and that's the order you throw players out. So team 1 can throw out any player they want for bid, and then team 2, etc...once you get to the end it starts over with number 1.