[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FF Auction Poll

DMD

FF Auctions  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is your experience with Auctions?

• Never did it, probably never will
    • Never did it, kind of interested
    • Did it but no longer do and did not like it
    • Did it but no longer do and miss it
    • Have and continue to do auctions
    • Having my first auction this year

Just interested in what the feelings are out there. Huddlers tend to be more serious than casual players and therefore we get more auctioneers than most other sites but we have not seen any real growth in auction's popularity for many years. About 10% of our members use the auction cheat sheets or refer to other auction resources.

What is your thoughts on this way to seed your roster with players instead of a draft?

In a live setting, auctions are the best. I would guess it seems a little daunting over the net though ESPN has a pretty robust software now. FantasyAuctioneer is dead for good last I heard.

It is my favorite way to be sure and a fair way since everyone has the same access to all players.

Never played in an Auction League and very interested in playing in one.

DMD - Is there an Auction League Section (101, Intro, Value, etc) on the website? Thanks. :wacko:

I would highly recommend doing the auction mocks on the ESPN fantasy website...their software is top-notch and you will get a very good feel for doing an auction after a couple of mocks. They'll be starting their free auction leagues in a few weeks...

It is extremely addictive though... :wacko:

Do it in 3 leagues and prefer it. All 3 leagues are very competitive. All players need to keep active, which is sometimes not true in serpentine draft. When trading, it is more difficult because we have to match total $$.

Never played in an Auction League and very interested in playing in one.

DMD - Is there an Auction League Section (101, Intro, Value, etc) on the website? Thanks. :wacko:

For sure.

In some years there is a dominant player that tends to tip the balance of power. Auction drafts are a lot more fair than the snake drafts because everyone has access to every single player. I have been in an auction league for 10 years now. There are two main strategies. One is to get as many studs as you can and to fill the rest of the roster out with cheaper players. The other is called a value based draft. You figure out dollar values and do not go over the price that you have set for the players. This has been the most successful strategy in our league. It seems to be better to have a bunch of good players vs. some great players. The one thing I would highly recommend for anyone doing an auction is to pay very close attention to the scoring system. A generic price list that does not take your league's scoring system into account will do you very little good and may do more harm than good.

I would highly recommend doing the auction mocks on the ESPN fantasy website...

I disagree about oh 10,000%. But it's not because of the software, which I agree is good. It's the kiddie aholes who join up for auctions. A typical ESPN mock features at least one if not more of the following by the drafters:

- signing up but not drafting

- drafting the first round or 2 and then quitting (often after over-bidding on top players)

- purposely screwing up the draft by making unrealistic bids. tee hee. :wacko:

ad nauseum - you get the picture. ESPN mocks are a joke. After Fantasyauctioneer.com died (RIP), so did any worthwhile online mock auctions. Anyway.....

DMD, why didn't you link to your article from years ago about why auctions are a truckload better, fairer, and more fun than POS snake drafts? It's a classic.

I'm still amazed auction drafts haven't become the norm.

Edited by BeeR

My first auction was this year in a new dynasty league and I'm not a big fan. I prefer the measured snake approach to the chaos that came about in our first draft. I'd rather concentrate on my upcoming single pick, than try to keep track of all the players with bids and constantly be changing my strategy.

That and I got "options psychosis"... so many player options floating around it made my head swim.

:wacko:

My first auction was this year in a new dynasty league and I'm not a big fan. I prefer the measured snake approach to the chaos that came about in our first draft. I'd rather concentrate on my upcoming single pick, than try to keep track of all the players with bids and constantly be changing my strategy.

That and I got "options psychosis"... so many player options floating around it made my head swim.

I am guessing you had a board auction with multiple players active at the same time. Not quite what DMD is talking about here, he is talking about more of a live type auction with one active player being bid on at a time. Very different experience and a lot of fun.

I definately love auctions and have played them for about 4 yrs maybe 5. I started running my own this year and have one league with a couple openings----but they are still taboo to most of the guys I run in a circle with.

I prefer the possibility of owning any player I want.....because draft order might limit you in a serpentine drafts. As much as I like them I still play redrafts but always look so forward to my auctions I am in.

I disagree about oh 10,000%.

You can say that for a lot of mocks...people take players they normally wouldn't trying to drive up the perceived value, etc...a mock is at the mercy of the people who are in it. I've been in some good ones and a lot of bad ones and I do hate the bots on ESPN.

But the point was it does give you a chance to see how an auction functions compared to a serpentine draft.

I'm still amazed auction drafts haven't become the norm.

Really? Don't hold your breath on things changing any time soon. The average person just doesn't take ff as seriously. I've tried on numerous occasions to get a couple of my local leagues to try an auction format just one year to see if we like it better, but nobody seems interested in putting in more effort to learn it. I figure if I ever do an auction, it'll probably have to be in a BoTH league.

You can say that for a lot of mocks...people take players they normally wouldn't trying to drive up the perceived value, etc...a mock is at the mercy of the people who are in it. I've been in some good ones and a lot of bad ones and I do hate the bots on ESPN.

But the point was it does give you a chance to see how an auction functions compared to a serpentine draft.

Sure, totally agree there. My point was just that ESPN auction mocks blow.

Really? Don't hold your breath on things changing any time soon. The average person just doesn't take ff as seriously.
? I don't get what "take it seriously" has to do with it. Auctions really aren't all that much harder than a snake draft IMO, and tons more fun. I'm far from hard core, but I can't stand being in leagues with people who are so casual they barely pay attention or are willing to put ANY real effort into it. ? Why even bother then? That's like taking up skiing but you don't like the bother of having to stand in line for a lift or the effort of learning how to do it right or going down the hill, so you're just going to trek back and forth around the lodge all day. :wacko:

I think it's mostly resistance to change that has stopped it.

We are just wrapping up the BOTH No Guts, No Glory Dynasty IDP Auction right now. $500 salary

This was my first online auction. I thought it was very exciting and a lot of fun, but I totally agree with Sturphy that there were WAY too many guys open for bid at the same time. Overall though, I really enjoyed it.