[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am an atheist

frenzal rhomb

nope you are gonna burn

(actually, not that you care :wacko: but I think God could surprise you)

again - not terribly concerned - actually maybe someone here who believes in reincarnation or the after life can do himself in and come back and let us know for sure??

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again - not terribly concerned - actually maybe someone here who believes in reincarnation or the after life can do himself in and come back and let us know for sure??

Man, I'm a lousy shot at close range. I'll try again and get back to you.

actually, that is pretty much a key component of almost all denominations of Christianity (Catholics, like yourself, included). Now, this does NOT mean that you can go commit any sin that you want because you know you can just get it forgiven, but there is NO sin that God would consider unforgivable if the person truly repented.

(Now, there are some people who believe in something called "eternal salvation" (aka "once saved, always saved") which suggests that no matter what they do in the future, as long as they are saved once, they can never become "unsaved". That seems like a pretty dumb doctrine to me.

I think there is a difference between commiting acts in a premeditated way while planning on asking for forgiveness vs. sinning and then asking for forgiveness. This particular individual beleived he could do anything, be as corrupt, dishonest and immoral as he chose to be, and then use the "get out of hell free card" on a daily basis. He said he was a saint, the bible said so.

Another born again told her children that her grandma-in-law was going to hell because she was a catholic.

The born agains look at everything as black and white, right and wrong. All round pegs, all round holes. Without any shades of gray, it relieves the responsibility of thought, doubt and question. While they rely on their strict interpratation of ther bible, they ignore the actual message. The most obvious example is their judgement of others, while the bible clearly states it is not man's place to judge. Much like Islam, if you are not a "believer", you are going to hell. Muslims are supposed to be chaste, but thier reward in heaven is 30 virgins or something like that.

Most extremist religions are contradictory. And judgemental.

I think there is a difference between commiting acts in a premeditated way while planning on asking for forgiveness vs. sinning and then asking for forgiveness. This particular individual beleived he could do anything, be as corrupt, dishonest and immoral as he chose to be, and then use the "get out of hell free card" on a daily basis. He said he was a saint, the bible said so.

well obviously your repentence has to be sincere for it to be meaningful. if you intend to do the same thing the next day, there's nothing sincere about it. seems pretty simple to me :wacko:

The born agains look at everything as black and white, right and wrong. All round pegs, all round holes. Without any shades of gray, it relieves the responsibility of thought, doubt and question. While they rely on their strict interpratation of ther bible, they ignore the actual message. The most obvious example is their judgement of others, while the bible clearly states it is not man's place to judge. Much like Islam, if you are not a "believer", you are going to hell. Muslims are supposed to be chaste, but thier reward in heaven is 30 virgins or something like that.

I agree with you a LOT of christians, probably safe to say most, are very guilty of this.

Edited by Azazello1313

Muslims are supposed to be chaste, but thier reward in heaven is 30 virgins or something like that.

Really? :furiouslylookingupmosquesinyellowpages:

(note: I think the promise the 9/11 Megan Foxwits had was 72 virgins)

Edited by Chavez

There's a big difference between confronting them about their faith and simply not keeping your lack thereof a secret. I'm not sure why the default needs to be that those who don't believe must pretend to in order to keep the peace. Obviously I've both made my lack of faith open news as well as confronted religion here but this is an on-line forum. I certainly don't think it's too much of your wife to ask that you not constantly challenge her family about their faith. I do, however, think it's too much of her to ask for you to hide your beliefs. If it comes up, you can say you don't believe but would rather not get into a debate with them about it. If they press, it's on them, not you.

If your in-laws are good people, they'll accept you for the man you've shown yourself to be, not based on whether or not you believe the same stories about how the world happened to be that they do. If your wife is a good person, she'll side with you in the event that her family lacks the moral compass to not ostracize you because you don't believe in their god.

I agree with most of the above. I think deep down, I'd rather have my in-laws know I have integrity over the fact that I don't believe in religion as they do. If I was just going along for the ride and they found out I was a hypocrite, then they'd always wonder what else I was not truthful about. But, hey - that doesn't mean I have to just walk up to them and say I have an announcement... It just means that you shouldn't hold the facts back. If it ever comes up, tact and respect for their beliefs is the order of the day.

As for me, I'm all over the map on religion. I'm too scientific to believe in anything but evolution theory. Where is gets convoluted is if I let my scientific/logic side down enough to believe there is some force other than pure science and chance out there. Truth be said, I'd like to believe in God being such a being. One thing I know is that I do respect others' religious beliefs. No matter how strong one's beliefs or nonbeliefs may be, we'd have to be extremely arrogant to believe that there is no possibility that we're wrong and another belief (or nonbelief) is right.

One thing I do like (at least from my experiences) about religion is the imparting of belonging to its followers. That and a values system. Then again, there are some "values systems" that I personally abhor.

One thing I know is that I do respect others' religious beliefs. No matter how strong one's beliefs or nonbeliefs may be, we'd have to be extremely arrogant to believe that there is no possibility that we're wrong and another belief (or nonbelief) is right.

Based on my experience, you are likely in the minority here, with the majority falling into the latter description.