[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No He Did Not!

SayItAintSoJoe

Just curious....

how long do you think these poor families stricken by this disaster could afford to wait until the courts ruled on these cases?

I'd rather BP be held accountable today, and funds be able to be dispersed today, than have this fall into the trial/appeals process, which could take years to be resolved.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I absolutely disagree with that the admin has done is pushing BP to halt the payment of dividends to shareholders at this time. Essentially you are taking money out of the pockets of BP investors, everybody from your retired grandma to large pension funds, who may need that money.

Retired grandma owns the company. Debts and obligations come first.

Seriously, you guys know damn well that if Obama didn't do anything that the Republicans would be all over him for his inactions. They are still screaming that he isn't doing enough except for the one that has apologized to BP.

Edited by MikesVikes

....and anybody that thinks our federal government can do anything better or more efficiently that private companies has a screw loose.

On a lot of things, I agree with this.

On stopping this leak and handling the clean-up I don't think the private sector is doing to well either.

Edited by SayItAintSoJoe

Retired grandma owns the company. Debts and obligations come first.

We've not determined what the debts and obligations are yet. The full accounting is not on the books yet, thus if there is the possibility to pay out a quarterly dividend it should be paid. BTW, the white house was working on this "no dividend" thing long before they reached this 20B agreement. Also, since the money is in escrow, I'm not certain that it has become a debt or obligation yet. Just because money is in escrow doesn't mean that they will spend all of it.

Just curious....

how long do you think these poor families stricken by this disaster could afford to wait until the courts ruled on these cases?

I'd rather BP be held accountable today, and funds be able to be dispersed today, than have this fall into the trial/appeals process, which could take years to be resolved.

Do you think the families of a person who has been murdered should have to through a trial to see if the suspect is actually guilty or should Obama be able to step and say GUILTY?

On a lot of things, I agree with this.

On stopping this leak and handling the clean-up I don't think the private sector is doing to well either.

http://208.86.2.42/showthread.php?p=136485

Just curious....

Do you think the families of a person who has been murdered should have to through a trial to see if the suspect is actually guilty or should Obama be able to step and say GUILTY?

oh snap!!

its called due process!!!

Just curious....

How long do you think the families of the oil rig workers can last without a job? 6 months? 3 years? 5years?

Just curious....

wouldnt that be great. if you sue someone, you get the money upfront. whatever you ask for you get it!!! cha ching!

I think he chose his words poorly when he specifically used the word "apologize". As far as them being forced to put money into an escrow, I'm not certain they were forced. I have a really, really, bad feeling that a deal was cut with the WH and BP that basically allowed them to put up the 20B and that the WH would see to it that they would not face a great deal more economic exposure than that 20B.

The one thing I absolutely disagree with that the admin has done is pushing BP to halt the payment of dividends to shareholders at this time. Essentially you are taking money out of the pockets of BP investors, everybody from your retired grandma to large pension funds, who may need that money.

Something very strange is going on and I think some back room deals may have been made.

On the other hand, you could also be preventing BP from paying out massive dividends, thus ensuring the top shareholders get theirs. Even if that means there's not enough left in the coffers to pay what they owe and the company itself goes bankrupt.

I don't know enough about the situation to know how realistic that is, but I would guess that would be the rationale for doing this.

wouldnt that be great. if you sue someone, you get the money upfront. whatever you ask for you get it!!! cha ching!

Ummm....your a little off. BP will be held accountable for amounts ridiculously higher than $20B. This little down payment to help the families it alone has devastat4ed is a small drop in the bucket to the total amount they'll eventually be paying.

Looks like the "drill first, worry about the consequences later" process carried on by BP will not have many winners.

Wait a minute, don't we have government regulators to make sure that doesn't happen?

BP ADMITTED GUILT and culpability!!!! Are you this dense? :wacko:

On the dividend issue, that will DRASTICALLY hurt England, with BP being the 2nd largest company and massive amounts of people in the UK hold BP stock . . .

Just curious....

You ever seen a bus accident on a busy corner and people trying to rush to get on the bus to get their piece?

Wait a minute, don't we have government regulators to make sure that doesn't happen?

Oh, but I'm sure the government surely wouldn't botch the payouts worse than they botched the industry oversight...yeah, pretty sure.

Oh, but I'm sure the government surely wouldn't botch the payouts worse than they botched the industry oversight Katrina Payouts...yeah, pretty sure.

Fixed

Fixed

So we're about ready to close the book on this one I guess....

Yeah, I'm sure the "independent" agency in charge of the payouts won't end up with any misappropriated funds either. All above board I'm sure. Surely none of the money would be accidentally funneled to the DNC.

BP ADMITTED GUILT and culpability!!!! Are you this dense? :wacko:

On the dividend issue, that will DRASTICALLY hurt England, with BP being the 2nd largest company and massive amounts of people in the UK hold BP stock . . .

From now on I will run all my posts through mr wallace - he is all knowing.

There is a due process and what Obama is doing (when he is not getting a rim job from you) is overstepping his bounds.

I pretty much agree with what Barton said. The $20 Billion in escrow was nothing but a shake down, so that old Barry can try to score some political points that he desperately needs. Based on what I've read, BP has already settled half the claims against it so far, and there was no indication that they were trying to slow play. They were doing it without the government forcing them to. Barton went as far to say that “There is no question that BP is liable for the damages, but we have a due process system where we go through litigation and court cases to determine what the damages are and when they should be paid,” and I agree with that as well. We used to have this thing called the Fifth Amendment, but I guess this administration doesn't think any more of it than they do the rest of The Constitution. So far since the spill BP has done pretty much everything they possibly can to make things right, with the exception where our government has tied their hands.

ETA:No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I wonder if Rep. Joe Barton of Texas will be a Senior house Republican for very much longer? The Party isn't too happy with him at the moment. The Republicans want nothing more than the ability to say that Obama is dragging his feet or not doing enough to fix the problem. Obama's problem. Now we have a dude that is apologizing to BP for America being too heavy handed?

I'm very sure that Democrats and Republicans alike think this guy just screwed the pooch. But we have some party politics here backing him. That is completely screwed up.

Edited by MikesVikes