[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nasa's main mission is to improve relationships with Muslim countries

polksalet

"When I became the NASA administrator -- or before I became the NASA administrator -- he charged me with three things. One was he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math, he wanted me to expand our international relationships, and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science ... and math and engineering," Bolden said in the interview.

Seriously, when you were appointed, they told you that they wanted you to "reach out to the Muslim world" to, and I quote, "engage with dominantly muslim nations to help them feel good?" Umm, sir, you are the NASA Administrator and not the Secretary of State Correct? I mean I'm just checking, cus, you know, I was thinking that, um, you should probably be more worried about, oh, I don't know, things like jet propulsion systems, orbiters, landing modules, alternative spaceship propulsion systems, you know, stuff like, umm, what do you call it... ROCKET SCIENCE?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :wacko:

I honestly don't see what the big deal is about this. So he gives an interview with Al Jazeera in which he uses a hyperbole to say that outreach to Muslim nations is important to remind them of their earlier contributions to math and science. My guess is that they hope that at least a few people in those nations will think "wait a minute, if we made significant contributions before, why the hell haven't we made any real contributions in the last 500-800 years? That could get them to thinking about how, just perhaps, Islamic fundamentalism is a hindrance to advancement. And then perhaps their could be some sort of renaissance in the Muslim world."

Now, of course, the chance of this happening is small, but the costs of the head of NASA making a statement such as this are basically zero. So what is the harm? There isn't any.

But, it's good to see you guys getting all worked up about it.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is about this. So he gives an interview with Al Jazeera in which he uses a hyperbole to say that outreach to Muslim nations is important to remind them of their earlier contributions to math and science. My guess is that they hope that at least a few people in those nations will think "wait a minute, if we made significant contributions before, why the hell haven't we made any real contributions in the last 500-800 years? That could get them to thinking about how, just perhaps, Islamic fundamentalism is a hindrance to advancement. And then perhaps their could be some sort of renaissance in the Muslim world."

Now, of course, the chance of this happening is small, but the costs of the head of NASA making a statement such as this are basically zero. So what is the harm? There isn't any.

But, it's good to see you guys getting all worked up about it.

No, it is simply an idiotic statement in the manner in which it was conveyed. To insinuate that one of the "foremost" goals of NASA is to remind Muslims of their contribution to math and science. He could have better conveyed what he was trying to say, though, much like with me, eloquence in speech making may be well beyond his pay grade.

He could have put it this way... "We are making concerted efforts at NASA to work with majority muslim nations in furthering their own space programs. After all, you are the people, the nations, that heralded in advances in mathematics and science, while establishing some of the greatest civilizations in our history. We want to work with your nations, work with your greatest minds, in developing solutions that can benefit all of man-kind and bring a sense of brotherhood among our nations."

I think that would have been much better.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is about this. So he gives an interview with Al Jazeera in which he uses a hyperbole to say that outreach to Muslim nations is important to remind them of their earlier contributions to math and science.

he called this muslim outreach his "foremost" mission as head of NASA. :wacko:

I'm sure that whenever someone in the bush administration made such a stupid statement, you were just as quick to dismiss it as "just a little innocent hyperbole to make a point".

My guess is that they hope that at least a few people in those nations will think "wait a minute, if we made significant contributions before, why the hell haven't we made any real contributions in the last 500-800 years? That could get them to thinking about how, just perhaps, Islamic fundamentalism is a hindrance to advancement. And then perhaps their could be some sort of renaissance in the Muslim world."

:lol:I hope you're not holding your breath.

he called this muslim outreach his "foremost" mission as head of NASA. :wacko:

I'm sure that whenever someone in the bush administration made such a stupid statement, you were just as quick to dismiss it as "just a little innocent hyperbole to make a point".

the difference is that people died when Bush hyperbolied.

:tup:

:lol:I hope you're not holding your breath.
:tup: not hardly

Barak throws Bolden under the bus.

WASHINGTON – The White House is contradicting the NASA administrator's claim that President Barack Obama assigned him to reach out to Muslims on science matters.

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden recently told Al-Jazeera network that one of the charges Obama gave him was "to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science and engineering."

Some conservative activists criticized the remarks.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Monday that such activities are not among Bolden's assigned tasks. He said administration officials have spoken with NASA about the matter.