[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hotter than Hades!

Rovers

Temps nearing 100 here in NY today. As a landscaper, I shut it down today, and will likely not go out tomorrow either. In lookin g at the temperature reports, I started to question them. It feels much hotter than even the heat indexes seem to indicate, so I did some experimenting.

I took a digital thermometer and a regular mercury based one outside, these are both intended to be used to measure body temperatures, you know, the ones you use to measure a fever when sick. At 10am, under a canopy on a brick patio I measured 102. Both thermometers agreed, but the weather reports all reported it at around 96. I went to the north side of the house which never gets any sun and is the coolest spot on my property. 96. Hmmmm...

Further measurements around my house showed that areas in full sun, like the lawn, the temperature was 6 degrees hotter (measured with the thermometer out of sunlight). I understand why temperature readings are taken in areas were the air is not super heated as it gets on a lawn or a patio, but they use this to calculate the heat index, which is what heat advisories are based on.

Sidewalks, lawns and other areas are clearly hotter than these protected ares are, and I came to the conclusion that the entire heat advisory system is faulted, at least as it applies to anyone who works outdoors. The temperature on the lawn is now 104. I calculate a heat index of almost 110, yet the official index is at 101 now. Pretty big difference in terms of health risks and suffering heat exhaustion. I might email the National Weather Service about this, since I just completed a lengthy questionairre for them asking how they could improve their products and services.

There should be two heat indexes I think.... one based on the measured temps in fully shaded protected areas, and areas exposed to full sun. Anyway, it kept me occupied today while I wait out this heat wave. Lost income, bigger beer bill, nasty utility bill bump I am sure. I hate heat waves.

Temps nearing 100 here in NY today. As a landscaper, I shut it down today, and will likely not go out tomorrow either. In lookin g at the temperature reports, I started to question them. It feels much hotter than even the heat indexes seem to indicate, so I did some experimenting.

I took a digital thermometer and a regular mercury based one outside, these are both intended to be used to measure body temperatures, you know, the ones you use to measure a fever when sick. At 10am, under a canopy on a brick patio I measured 102. Both thermometers agreed, but the weather reports all reported it at around 96. I went to the north side of the house which never gets any sun and is the coolest spot on my property. 96. Hmmmm...

Further measurements around my house showed that areas in full sun, like the lawn, the temperature was 6 degrees hotter (measured with the thermometer out of sunlight). I understand why temperature readings are taken in areas were the air is not super heated as it gets on a lawn or a patio, but they use this to calculate the heat index, which is what heat advisories are based on.

Sidewalks, lawns and other areas are clearly hotter than these protected ares are, and I came to the conclusion that the entire heat advisory system is faulted, at least as it applies to anyone who works outdoors. The temperature on the lawn is now 104. I calculate a heat index of almost 110, yet the official index is at 101 now. Pretty big difference in terms of health risks and suffering heat exhaustion. I might email the National Weather Service about this, since I just completed a lengthy questionairre for them asking how they could improve their products and services.

There should be two heat indexes I think.... one based on the measured temps in fully shaded protected areas, and areas exposed to full sun. Anyway, it kept me occupied today while I wait out this heat wave. Lost income, bigger beer bill, nasty utility bill bump I am sure. I hate heat waves.

We're even getting ready for the heat in the NW. Starting tomorrow, our temps in Portland are forecasted to be 95, 98, 95, 91. Having A/C installed on the 17th isn't going to help this week.

Dude, man up. You do realize that almost every weekend in GA I and 4.5 million of my neighbors cut our lawns in 96 degree+ heat, throw in the heat index and it is well above 100 and I'm not even a professional.

Dude, man up. You do realize that almost every weekend in GA I and 4.5 million of my neighbors cut our lawns in 96 degree+ heat, throw in the heat index and it is well above 100 and I'm not even a professional.

And it takes you how long to mow your own lawn? Try doing ten properties. It isn't just the heat either, lawns in full sun with temps over 100 can be damaged pretty badly when mowed with a commercial mower. The tires leave what many call "heat tracks". Hot tires and brittle grass= broken stems and dead lawn tire tracks. Google it.... you'll find pics of heat tracks. Golf courses are mowing at night, not for the workers, but for the turf.

Man up? These lawns are dormany anyway, barely growing. To mow then now could damage them and would be a waste of my customer's money. Lost income. Tomorrow I will likely mow from 8am to 10am, and then shut it down, not because I can't work in the heat, it's about the lawns there big fella, and being an honest businessman. Every agricultural university strongly recommends not mowing in these conditions. But hey, what do I know, I just do this for a living.

Good thing you aren't a professional. you would have a lot of lawns to repair! :wacko:

And it takes you how long to mow your own lawn? Try doing ten properties. It isn't just the heat either, lawns in full sun with temps over 100 can be damaged pretty badly when mowed with a commercial mower. The tires leave what many call "heat tracks". Hot tires and brittle grass= broken stems and dead lawn tire tracks. Google it.... you'll find pics of heat tracks. Golf courses are mowing at night, not for the workers, but for the turf.

Man up? These lawns are dormany anyway, barely growing. To mow then now could damage them and would be a waste of my customer's money. Lost income. Tomorrow I will likely mow from 8am to 10am, and then shut it down, not because I can't work in the heat, it's about the lawns there big fella, and being an honest businessman. Every agricultural university strongly recommends not mowing in these conditions. But hey, what do I know, I just do this for a living.

Good thing you aren't a professional. you would have a lot of lawns to repair! :wacko:

.76 Acres and 5.35 acres. The 5.35 has a lake and a creek , the lake must be Josh Gordon whacked and the bank is at a 6%+ grade. I have apple trees that need to be pruned and mosquitos the size of house finches. I have a 61" Scag zero radius mower, no real problems with tire marks in Kentucky 31 tall fescue, clover and dandelion. I mowthe smaller plot with a honda walk behind, it is zoysia and bermuda, looks better than what you guys use for golf courses up there. You guys need to get some good grass up there, sounds like you have some issues growing stuff.

I'm mainly posting to simply bust your balls, so take it for what its worth you drunken Irish prick.

.76 Acres and 5.35 acres. The 5.35 has a lake and a creek , the lake must be Josh Gordon whacked and the bank is at a 6%+ grade. I have apple trees that need to be pruned and mosquitos the size of house finches. I have a 61" Scag zero radius mower, no real problems with tire marks in Kentucky 31 tall fescue, clover and dandelion. I mowthe smaller plot with a honda walk behind, it is zoysia and bermuda, looks better than what you guys use for golf courses up there. You guys need to get some good grass up there, sounds like you have some issues growing stuff.

I'm mainly posting to simply bust your balls, so take it for what its worth you drunken Irish prick.

At least I have no issues with yer last comment. :tup:

The KGB and rye grass we grow (for the most part) up here can get damaged in these temps. Those are "cool season grasses" The few zoysia lawns I mow would not be damaged. The problem is that even those lawns have KGB or rye mixed in. Bermuda, zoysia and St Augustine are hot weather grasses. They don't get damaged like northern grasses do in these temps.

Oh, so you use a ride on mower? I'm sure you bust yer rebel butt mowing on that, must be hard work. :wacko: Does it have a holder for your beverage of choice?

The KGB and rye grass we grow (for the most part) up here can get damaged in these temps. Those are "cool season grasses" The few zoysia lawns I mow would not be damaged. The problem is that even those lawns have KGB or rye mixed in. Bermuda, zoysia and St Augustine are hot weather grasses. They don't get damaged like northern grasses do in these temps.

Oh, so you use a ride on mower? I'm sure you bust yer rebel butt mowing on that, must be hard work. :wacko: Does it have a holder for your beverage of choice?

And a gun rack, too... Wooohoooo, best not no deer come prancing along while I'm mowing the backyard. I'll drop him quicker than my sister will her pants after a snoot full of the shine.

Oh, yeah, and what yer saying makes sense... And sorry about the whole drunken Irish prick thing, Mick.

Did you say KGB Grass? I would mow that. Btw, pardon the pun with the "cool" pics.

Edited by MikesVikes

KBG, KGB, whatever. Drunken Irish pricks don't spell so good after high noon.

That spy ring thing had to have been a Kremlin joke. I think the most damaging info they gave Russia is that our capitol is in Washington DC.

Topped out at 103 on the north side of my house, around 108 in the middle of the lawn. Records set all over the place here today. I figure the heat index on my lawn was around 114.

Stay cool, ignore posts made by a doofus, and remember your age! :tup::wacko:

Your advice was spot on.

Stay cool, ignore posts made by a doofus, and remember your age! :lol::tup:

Your advice was spot on.

Can't get too annoyed with a yokel who compliments me the way he did... drunken Irish prick, heck, that's almost a marriage proposal.

Rememebr my age? Should have remembered my age on Saturday. Neighbors set up a plastic sliding mat with water and dish soap on their lawn for the kids. After the dad went (he's about 300 pounds and 50 years old, and I dared him to do it, promising I would too) I figured this 55 year old geezer would show 'em how to do it. Took off, and made a flying leap. BIG air. Broke 2 ribs. :wacko:

The broken ribs weren't enough to stop me from working, but honestly, the heat was. Pain won't kill ya.... that kind of heat can. :tup:

Can't get too annoyed with a yokel who compliments me the way he did... drunken Irish prick, heck, that's almost a marriage proposal.

Rememebr my age? Should have remembered my age on Saturday. Neighbors set up a plastic sliding mat with water and dish soap on their lawn for the kids. After the dad went (he's about 300 pounds and 50 years old, and I dared him to do it, promising I would too) I figured this 55 year old geezer would show 'em how to do it. Took off, and made a flying leap. BIG air. Broke 2 ribs. :wacko:

The broken ribs weren't enough to stop me from working, but honestly, the heat was. Pain won't kill ya.... that kind of heat can. :tup:

Dam! I broke 2 ribs in January and broke 'em more in March! They still move around to this day, click'n and clack'n all day, very annoying. Good luck w/ that!

Instead of stars in a person's bio, there should be daggers. Easier to tell the doofii from the normal people.

Dam! I broke 2 ribs in January and broke 'em more in March! They still move around to this day, click'n and clack'n all day, very annoying. Good luck w/ that!

Instead of stars in a person's bio, there should be daggers. Easier to tell the doofii from the normal people.

How the heck did you break your ribs? I already used the sliding pond excuse....

:wacko: Sneezing. He had intense brusing too from that.

Sneezing? SNEEZING? At least I did something stupid. My air dive at least made it onto their family facebook. Glad I can't blame it on sneezing. Sneezing?